Public media news. Biased?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hawkeye_a, May 20, 2019.

?

Do you think publicly funded news media is generally biased?

1. I am politically left-of-center; Yes

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. I am politically left-of-center; No

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. I am politically right-of-center; Yes

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  4. I am politically right-of-center; No

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. hawkeye_a, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

The question might be too general, but having lived in many countries and watched/listened to public broadcast news, I have always felt that publicly funded news media is generally politically biased.

For example, in the US, I suppose that would mean PBS & NPR, in the UK BBC, and in Australia ABC & SBS. I'm curious about what other people think/feel about publicly funded news media they have consumed, and whether or not you feel they are politically biased. The reason I have also broken it down by political inclination, is because I think people on either side of the political isle might have very different opinions.

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

NPR is biased towards putting you to sleep.

3. Altis macrumors 68030

I can only speak for the case in Canada. TVO is quite balanced with a range of views, much higher quality than people give it credit for (especially Steve Paikin). The CBC however is quite astray from neutral in terms of the stories they choose to report, the radio programmes, and the guests they choose to have.

4. Rhonindk, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    You need a "Center" option in your poll. ;)

This only applies to articles that are political or have a major political interest. (USA)
    NPR - most articles lean more left than right.
    PBS - same as NPR but a bit more center. Still left leaning though.

I suspect this is due in part to the directions fund raising comes from.

5. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Definitely biased but this is not just the case for the US. I have lived in many countries as well and every country I have been to and lived in has some sort of biased media. It’s not just media but human nature in general to prefer or like something over something else. We have Apple fans on this board and on other Android boards there are Android fans. The same goes with Windows and Apple fanatics. The list goes on. One thing we know is that in the US Fox News is very biased with news,news coverage, and the broadcasters along with reporters they hire.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

That's why I only listen to it when I'm driving.

7. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

There should be a politically neutral option.

I am not right nor left of center, I am sure I am not the only one. Now, for individual issues, I could take a side....

As for the question, I don't deliberately listen to NPR, but when I do, it tends to be left leaning imo, but not always.

The reason why I said I don't deliberately listen to NPR is because my car's radio is set to a classical music station for when I am not playing music on my CarPlay. While on my work's very large campus, the classical music signal seems to be low or maybe due to interference, but NPR always plays while I am driving around campus.

8. HDFan macrumors 65816

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Did you vote for Trump or Hilary? If Trump what percentage of the Democratic 2020 candidates do you like? If Hilary what percentage of the Republican 2016 candidates do you like? If you don’t like at least 2-3 of the opposing party primary candidates you aren’t a centrist. Sorry.

10. hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

@Rhonindk @vertical smile
    I deliberately left out a "center" option of any kind. I think we all fancy ourselves "centrists", and so most voters would gravitate to that option, defeating the purpose of this poll; to see if there's a political element to the issue.

One doesnt need to be left or right on every pertinent issue to fall into one of the categories; after you weight and tally up all your views chances are you will lean one way or the other.

@Eraserhead IMHO, leaning left or right, has less to do with political parties and personalities, but rather positions on key issues.

11. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

The problem is I am either right, center, or left depending on the issue. Overall it kinda sorta balances out. :D
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2019 ---
    So wrong. Maybe in the UK that might define a Centrist.
    Don't see a single candidate from either side at this time I would endorse.
    It may come down to the devil you know ... Hope not.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So you’re a conservative.

Because if none out of 20 candidates on the other side is OK that’s what you are.

13. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This doesn't make any sense at all....

This doesn't make sense either.

I agree with this.

I am not sure sure about this one.

I get what you are saying, but this still is not a very good metric, unless everyone is considering the same exact pertinent issues.

Besides, there are a lot of individual issues I have a very neutral stance on.

For example, abortion:

I think that abortion is killing a child, but I think it should be legal.

I don't think it should only be a woman's choice on aborting her child though, as it is not just her child.

Late-term abortion, or aborting a child that could survive outside the womb should not be legal.

So, it is very subjective on whether I am right or left of center on this issue.

14. Altis macrumors 68030

You've implied the premise that the Democratic and Republican parties represent the political left and right in a balanced and meaningful way. In reality, many feel that they've both lost the plot relative to those political positions.

In fact, I'd wager that more centrists don't really like or fully support anyone from either party. :p

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Because I don't find any of the current candidates credible I am a Conservative?
    Wow. Talk about reaching. :rolleyes:

16. cube macrumors P6

Fake poll.

17. hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

I reckon that warrants some exploration, as I think this phenomenon is playing out throughout western democracies.

18. hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

For those of you think/feel that public broadcasting is generally biased, which way do you think it is biased (pro-left/pro-right, etc), and what gives you the impression of bias?

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think that all media is biased.

PBS and NPR seem to have a left leaning bias but I guess it depends on which way people lean.

In the times I have listened to PBS or NPR, I have never heard a story supporting anything right of center.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2019 ---
    I think that most people may not consider themselves centrist but they rate other people's political leanings that way.

20. hawkeye_a, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

From the poll, I suppose we can conclude that there is a left-leaning bias in public news/media.

Can't say that i'm surprised....
    Most left-of-center, probably think it is not biased because it matches their agenda/narrative/worldview.
    Most right-on-center, probably find the content disproportionately anti-conservative.

If you are left-of-center, and your tax dollars were going to media outlets which are just as unbalanced, and support opposing viewpoints and parties, effectively functioning as propaganda, would you consider that "fair"?

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

The only piece missing is how factual the reporting is. Depending on the agenda or target, that would influence to perception.

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I listen to them daily, they report on both local and national news, conduct interviews, have discussion panels, and I have never fallen asleep. :)

23. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I like listening to news on the radio. NPR is my only choice in my area for an affiliate station. NPR is definitely not center. Definitely center left. While NPR is not my first choice, it is better than some options.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2019 ---
    They recently hired Donna, (I have your debate questions) Brazile...lol. Along with Democrat Juan Williams.

24. hawkeye_a, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 1:26 PM

hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

A recent Australian perspective:
    We just had a federal election last month. Every single program on the national broadcaster predicted Labour(the left) would win, and they all cited polls and paraded "experts" from higher education to re-enforce their analysis. I don't think there was a single presenter on the public broadcaster who was a supporter of the Liberal party(the conservatives), or one that even seemed balanced/non-partisan. Sheer unadulterated left-wing propaganda. (they had me convinced as well).

It was quite amusing to watch those same presenters the day after the conservatives won the election; one would think they had just gotten back from a wake.

Sky News Australia (which is openly biased, as is their right, since no one is forced to pay their wages), had this to say about the circus at the national broadcaster. According to the clip, the government gives them AU$1.5bn per year. "Are they really giving you analysis, or telling you what they hope will happen?"

Are they entitled to their opinion, freedom of speech, etc? Yes of course, but i don't see why conservatives, anyone who disagrees with them, or just doesn't want to for that matter, should have to pay them for it.

Quite frankly, their opinions and analysis aren't really worth much and amounts to fake-news IMHO.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Generally speaking I think the public broadcasters are much more evidence-focused than commercial media that will do or say anything to keep their viewership for a profit (like FOX, and, yes, CNN).