Public wifi / VPN for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InfiniteLoopy, Jun 24, 2013.

  1. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    #1
    Hi all,

    I'm looking for a solution for faster internet on my iPhone. I'm currently spending most of the day in a place where all I can get is Edge, where the speed is killing me. (How did we ever cope before 3G?)

    Anyway, there's a public wifi available and while my email passwords are sent with SSL, I'd be more comfortable using something like Cloak or a VPN service for iPhone to encrypt everything to and from the phone.

    First off, would using such a service make my connections/data completely invisible to the wifi owner?

    Would using a VPN service encrypt all data on the phone or would the VPN provider be able to see the same data as an ISP or wifi network owner?

    Can anyone recommend a VPN service?

    Thanks
     
  2. Menel macrumors 603

    Menel

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Location:
    ATL
    #2
    yes

    I have an E3000 router at home with DDWRT, running my own VPN server.

    It's limited by my home uplink speed. But it's free, and only passes through my own network.
     
  3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    #3
    Encrypted but not invisible.
     
  4. itjw macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2011
    #4
    If someone wants your information bad enough on a public network, and you're using an iPhone to transmit, there isn't an encryption protocol that's usuable currrently that is 100% uncrackable (even jailbroken). It is what it is. You don't need to be concerned unless you are some high level government agent (or Snowden), and if you ARE you shouldn't be using a public network anyway, let alone from an iPhone.

    My guess is the paranoia is getting the better of you. Simple encryption will stop 99% of "hackers". The other 1% that it won't, most likely, could care less about you.

    :cool:
     
  5. alifaizan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2013
    Location:
    Karachi
    #5
    There Are many

    There are many VPN services available but my personal opinion is that u should use either PUREVPN or VPN4all. Good service, good customer support do give it a try.
     

Share This Page