Publisher withdraws atlas that redacted name of Israel from Middle East map

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Jan 3, 2015.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

HarperCollins has now withdrawn from sale and destroyed remaining inventory of an atlas that omitted the name of Israel from maps of the Middle East. That atlas was previously being sold to English-speaking schools in the Middle East. Orginally the publisher said the omission was to accommodate “local preferences”. The map implied that Jordan and Syria extended to the Mediterranean Sea. The names of Gaza and Lebanon were present. The Bishops' Conference of England and Wales had cited the map as harmful to Middle East peace efforts.

news link (The Tablet - UK)

I cannot imagine that the embarrassment to HarperCollins was worth whatever they made on supplying some schools with the map that redacted the name of Israel. Apparently at least one Gulf state had already taken to marking out Israel by hand on maps used in schools anyway. Not that kids wouldn’t already know or soon enough learn what it was.

One may strike out a name on a map but that doesn’t erase the need for neighbors to learn to live together. Why do elders think a big lie serves their children’s interests?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Who gives a **** about what atlas the kids in the middle east use? They got bigger problems.

3. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

The really weird thing is that they left West Bank on the map. Just Israel was missing. So bizarre.

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

This mentality only continues to strengthen my desire to support and help Israel. I have great respect for Isreal and the Israeli people.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

How are the children supposed to learn if they have inaccurate maps?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And what other hard facts should be altered in favor of "local preferences"?

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

None of course. They should have a correct atlas.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Tim Cook's reference to "Greater China" in Apple's income statements is in the same category as this. Maps published in India have to show India's full territorial claims and not the lines of actual control. The Economist regularly gets its maps of India censored for refusing to do that.

I completely agree that that is the correct approach as much as possible, and is almost certainly the correct approach here.

Yes, let's supoirt a country who repeatedly goes round killing thousands of innocent civilians based on trivial provocations!

9. stylinexpat, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

It is not just in Arab countries that they may have missing maps but as you will see that when you look into Israeli textbooks that children use at school you will see that over 65% of maps had no borders and made no mention of Palestine or the Palestinian Authority, while in the ultra-Orthodox system that number was a staggering 95 percent. Comparing the maps in these education systems, the researchers note “might suggest they were of different worlds altogether.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2013/02/israeli_and_palestinian_textbooks_researchers_have_conducted_a_comprehensive.html

As usual The Israeli government said it refused to cooperate with the study and has denounced the findings as “predetermined,” without elaborating. “The attempt to create a parallel between the Israeli education system and the Palestinian education system is completely unfounded and lacks any basis in reality,” the Israeli Ministry of Education said in a press release.

Any studies whether US backed or foreign backed into both Israeli and Palestinian are never supported as they never want their hypocrisy and bigotry to be exposed.

http://m.forward.com/articles/170451/palestinian-textbooks-dont-vilify-jews-new-study-r/?p=all

More on maps and borders here..
    http://www.ifamericansknew.org/history/maps.html

10. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well there's also the notorious July 2009 map of the Middle East that Fox News put up one day. Iraq was labeled Egypt and the countries of North Africa carried no names. So there was no Iraq at all, and Egypt was suddenly a neighbor of Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Iran...

Attached Files:

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's better to replace the entire Middle East with a body of water.

12. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

More likely it will be replaced by a desert turned to glass if people don't get a grip on being neighborly.

13. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

A bit hard to be neighborly when a government does not recognize its neighbor and produces locally made textbooks for education which teach kids from a young age that there is no such neighbor.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As bad as they might get, I'd consider "glassing over," to be the most unneighborly kind of behavior.

15. XmeX macrumors regular

They have to mention Palestine in real and one day those Zionists will return back to their homelands

[​IMG]

16. APlotdevice, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I don't agree with the reasons for the formation of Israel, nor Israeli policies towards Palestinians, but at the same time millions of Jews have been born there. It is their homeland! It's like asking most Americans, Canadians, and Australians to return to Europe.

I'm not asking people to forget the past... that itself would be a huge mistake... but blaming children for the sins of their parents, grandparents, or those even further back is utterly foolish. This goes for everyone.

17. XmeX macrumors regular

They stolen My land, living in My house, had killed and still killing my relatives
    Why I should live out side MY country and even can't visit it ?
    By the way, my father was born there as well as my grand father

Those Zionists acting like cancer cell between Arab countries

http://www.freearabvoice.org/ZionistConspiracy_DivideTheArabWorld.htm

18. APlotdevice, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I have a dear family friend who was born in Israel. He's a Jew, but guess what, he doesn't support the actions of the Israeli government! In fact many Jews hate what Israel has done, and what they continue to do. And I'd argue that most residing in that country are doing nothing more than simply trying to live their lives.

I am very sorry for your loss, but you can't blame it on an entire group of people. There is no grand conspiracy. They are human beings, just as you are. Ones whose ancestors ironically faced very similar oppression during the first half of the twentieth century as well as numerous times before.

19. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well exactly. Do the Israelis or Palestinians actually want the glass desert as the end of all hopes for their children (on either side of the disputes)? Of course not. At least not the ones in a position to negotiate a settlement.

But no one seems to think seriously about a real future together while they are retaliating against each other for the recent past: the violence of yesterday, last week, last month begets the violence of next week.

Meanwhile the risk grows of a cataclysmic ending farther down the road, likely brought not by these quarrelsome neighbors but by a third (and rogue, not state-sanctioned) party. While they do not guard their neighborhood together today, they continue to put at risk all the tomorrows of the whole Middle East.

20. XmeX macrumors regular

If i stolen your house for 10 years it will be mine? :)

21. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

based on what?

22. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'm not excusing those who have actually committed such heinous crimes. All I'm saying is that for millions of Jews their only "crime" was in being born where they were. To force them to leave would be to repeat a cycle of cruelty.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd argue that this is the goal of [almost] every human being on the earth.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Small wonder when some of those kids grow up to cut off heads and blow up planes and buses.

Harsh reality that there is an entire nation where there shouldn't be one and it's filled with Jews of all things...

25. XmeX macrumors regular

In the other hand there are Palestinian kids living in refugee camps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine_refugee_camps and still waiting to back

----------

Those head cutters actually made and supported by Imperial & Zionists, those head cutters u used to support them in Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq and Syria... You just need to refresh your memory :)