Puerto Rico rep introduces bill to make territory a state

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jun 28, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Hopefully this will pass and we can add our PR neighbours to the country, as they deserve. No doubt they'll have to take steps to get their fiscal house in order, but that is just one stumbling block.

http://thehill.com/latino/394530-puerto-rico-rep-introduces-bill-to-make-territory-a-state

2. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

PR didn’t have any say in their finances for years now, not sure why it’s up to them to fix it when Congress was who set them up to the vulture capitalists.

But yes, it’s time for America’s few remaining colonies to become actual states. The lack of a say in governance for PR is disgusting.

3. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

They must want us to cover their debt. I vote to kick them off the island.

4. Rum_Becker Suspended

I suggest that Trump tries to get Alberta in NAFTA negotiations, put 2 more stars on that flag.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Id rather Trump give California and Texas to Mexico and try to get BC from Canada, then add PR and our flag can stay the same

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

They live on an Island. We've covered massive debts before (savings and loans, banking crisis of late 2000s). Give them a shot and make them balance their budget like every other State.

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

No room for more stars on the flag.

We have no neeed for all the territories, cut them loose.

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

You do understand that it was the US congress and their appointees that put PR in the financial situation it’s in right? They had literally no say.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The people of PR have paid their dues in terms of serving in the US military etc. If they want to be a state, they should be a state.

However, I do not think this will happen anytime soon, for quite apart from anything the GOP would not want two more senators who are likely to be Democrats. I have no doubt that if the people of PR ever become serious about wanting to be a state, then there will be a torrent of talking points and news coming out of the GOP/alt-right propaganda machine about how accepting PR fully into the Union will cause MS-13 to run riot in the streets (your street!) and the only solution will be to build a wall on the southern tip of Florida.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2018 ---
    We have a responsibility for the welfare and security of the people in those territories, but some on the right these days do not seem very responsible.

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

They are U.S. citizens. They deserve representation.

11. widgeteer Suspended

You want to give up the 5th largest economy in the world?

Republicans are so good at economics.

12. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

Thanks for the compliment! We are pretty good at economics, considering we are running some of the largest economics in the world.

The only good PR and any other territory is good for is in war, they make good bases. Like island hopping back in WWII

13. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

How so?

Earnest question.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Sure. I mean PR and the USVI certainly don't prop up the travel industry at all. :/

15. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

They have been good citizens for ages and contributed to our country through service culture. They deserve to be granted statehood and meaningful representation in our government halls. They have been treated like third class citizens for far too long.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

How funny. They said the same thing about Hawaii, Oklahoma, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, and Nebraska (they were referred to as "Indian Territory"), with the last of the states in the CONUS being granted statehood 106 years ago.

By your logic, almost half of the stars should be off the flag because they were territories. Hell, even Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana were referred to as the "Northwest Territories".

Talk about being ignorant of one's history.

BL.

17. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

18. samcraig macrumors P6

What does open borders have to do with a territory becoming a US state exactly? Or are you being funny on a Friday night?

ETA: also, according to Trump, it's open BOARDERS lol

19. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Sounds like something Idiot Trumo would say.

To answer your question, liberals/democrats/progressives’ worst kept secret is that they believe migrants - especially illegal migrants - are their lock to regaining power.

Even entire “territory” migrants.

They actually care about them as much as I care about the Microsoft Zune.

But it makes for easy NPR, gif, emotionally-stunted fodder.

20. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I would. California is a shell game state. Debt layden dumpster fire ready to implode under the pressure cooker of its failed pension systems.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2018 ---
    Don’t care. Seriously. Don’t care.

21. widgeteer Suspended

I see someone got the crappiest fortune cookie tonight.

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I moved away from California after being born and raised there and spending first 40 years of my life there. They’re a ****ing dumpster fire.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

And if you combine it with Texas it should give Mexico a nice shot in the arm

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don’t think there’s a chance that this Congress will vote to make Puerto Rico a state. Trump barely acknowledges Puerto Rico exists. Just some place to go and throw paper towels.

25. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

California would die without the rest of us. Wanna know why? Oil, electricity, and water. They’ve greeened their way out of life sustaining resources. Let them break off. No sandy beach will fix their stupid.