Puerto Rico votes in favor of statehood

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jun 11, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

About time! And it was an overwhelming majority this go around. Glad to see they finally got the gumption to jump in a decisive direction. All I really would like to see, though is for them to get their fiscal house in order, before they join the union. They have some serious problems that they need to address, with their debt and spending before I'd feel comfortable with them assuming all the rights and privileges of a state. I'd hate for the union to have to immediately go about and solve their current debt crisis and have to pay off their loans. Other than that I say, bienvenidos, muchachos! Welcome aboard!

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/337347-puerto-rico-votes-in-favor-of-statehood

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Did they vote in favor just to get sone free federal handouts and bailouts?

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Remember that the voter turnout may have been too low once again for them to make the case to those opposed to statehood, even though those who did vote overwhelmingly chose statehood. Only 23% of eligible voters voted.

Think of all the money people will spend to get new flags if Puerto Rico does become a state. Surely the flags will be made in the USA. :cool: It's been a long time since everyone's US flag needed an upgrade, almost sixty years.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Doesn't matter. A Republican controlled congress will not give them what they want for fear of them leaning democratic and making it even more difficult for Republicans in future. They'll have to wait until the Dems are in power.

5. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Be kind of hard for them to make that case since their current non-voting rep in Congress is a Republican.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Even California and New York vote Republicans into office sometimes. That doesn't mean that anyone would not make the case that both states lean blue.

7. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

We'll just have to see what the makeup of their Tennessee delegation (2 senators and 5 reps) looks like. My guess is they'll be Republicans. What the voters of Puerto Rico later vote into office is up to them. If the republicans treat them nice it may well pay off for the not so Grand Old Party in the future. Trump has said he's in favour of statehood in the past. That may well still hold true.

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

That wouldn't of mattered. Hillary still would of lost.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

(Sigh) Some people just can't let go. :rolleyes:

It was quite clear in my post that I was looking to the future, not looking backwards to the past.

This is Trump's position on things:

IMG_3304.JPG

Thus you cannot count on it. Just like the wind it blows in all directions.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Isn't part of the reason for voting again at this time because they need to be a state to have options like bankruptcy to restructure their debt so they can get their house in order?

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Lmao CA "republicans " are crap

12. Zenithal macrumors 68040

The assumption being Latins in PR being liberal. They're not. Unlike their Mexican brethren, they're rather conservative.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2017 ---
    California Republicans tend to be actual conservatives Pre-Reagan/Theological Buggery than today's Republicans who aren't remotely Republican at all, but have the gall to call themselves that. Reagan's Administration canoodled with he wrong groups and their efforts changed the course of America for decades to come. Today's GOP values are nothing like what they were prior to the humbug that Reagan's Administration was. If a RINO means being an actual, true American, then RINO it is. No need to have an overly educated, classless and tactless individual be in office.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Okay, but here's the 2016 Presidential primary results:

Republican vote totals for all candidates: 41,196
    Democrat vote totals for all candidates: 88,149
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_primaries_in_Puerto_Rico,_2016

Hard to match up prior years as they were either a mix of caucuses and primaries or entirely caucuses.

14. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Conservative values != Republican.

Hispanics tend to be more conservative on social issues than Democrats in the US. It's fair, if not slightly race inciting, to state Hispanics vote Democrat because the DNC has always reached out and bent over backwards to help the Hispanic community, because they're a huge minority voting block.

The GOP and DNC have strayed far from their original goals and sentiments, and now one up each other to gain more voters.

Funny enough, since Big R, the GOP hasn't cared for anyone unless they were on the higher end of the middle class, $70-90K median income. Talk the sweet talk to the lower rung of people, stomp on their livelihoods soon after you win. Many GOP voters lack critical thinking skills, but so do DNC voters. It's easy to swindle those not willing to do their own research. Most are too lazy to research.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

When it comes to voting it does. What right wing conservative with conservative fiscal and social views is voting for democrats for president?

16. Zenithal macrumors 68040

You'd be surprised at how many do. Also, again, it seems you're very confused. Hispanics are socially conservative, fiscally liberal. Likewise there are plenty of Democrats who are socially conservative and fiscally conservative. You're also confusing today's modern GOP with the GOP of yesteryear. Today's GOP and DNC stand for very different things than they did in the past. Plenty of Democrats are against gay marriage or immigration, for example. Likewise, the opposite is true for Republicans.

The Cuban Americans is a stronghold for the GOP, for example. Very few are wealthy. Most are middle class like most Americans, and some are at poverty level. They support the GOP only because of their Cuba stance. Nothing more. The DNC favors open relations with Cuba. The OOP does not. Socially and fiscally, these individuals would do better by voting DNC. Likewise, poor Americans in red states will continue voting for the GOP and still get screwed, whereas they'd be better off voting for the DNC. The Asian voting block is almost split down the middle in California. Half votes for the DNC, half votes for the GOP. It's not as black and white as you'd like to believe it is. Reagan's period was the birth of stupidity and issue voters, not party voters.

I've told you the people who vote for the GOP, the people who suffer at the hands, are issue voters. I've told you this a lot of times.

"I may be suffering, but if those people are suffering, too, then so be it!" Hoping to screw others over and ignore you being screwed over, too.

17. niploteksi macrumors regular

A bit off topic, but I'm curious what dialect this is. I never encountered that way of using the preposition instead of the verb.

18. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Broken English is quite common in some parts of the USA. Particularly in FL where Trump has a substantial base.

19. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I am of Puerto Rican decent, and I say God no, please US do NOT accept PR into the union!

20. niploteksi macrumors regular

Thank you

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Verguenza de su propia raiz?

22. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

No, not at all. It's a ****** little island with too many problems. I am a patriot loyal to my country and it's not in the best interest of my country to bring on such a burden.

What a great question though! So insightful!

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Like the red states?

In any case, if PR wants to join as a sate then they deserve statehood. I gather the problem is that although the voters supported statehood, the vast majority of people didn't vote.

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Which red states voted for statehood just to get free federal handouts? Please, enlighten me. :oops:

What makes them so deserving of statehood? Perhaps Guam should be a state as well.

25. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I assumed he had meant that red states took more federal funding than blue states. So I looked it up to see how valid that was, and it's pretty damn valid, sadly.

FedAidtoStates-011-1024x916.png

$.png