pulling my hair out...need change of hard drive help. 2007 macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gueraguerra, Nov 6, 2013.

1. gueraguerra macrumors newbie

Trying to change the hard drive - older one died. Everything was going great, but when apptempting to install from disc 1, it cannot find the drive. I waited and nothing appears. I tried with the leopard DVD and it does find the drive, but cannot install without a previous version installed. I name the drive and partition it.
    I put back in the disc 1 and it sees the drive and disc in disc utility. But now it says there is am error and disc utility needs to restart. The same error continues to appear. Go to the install, and again cannot see anything.

Went to apple, it was late but when I called the guy said to bring it in to check it out. Got there and the check in woman told me to come back tomorrow and that I should have called. Tried to push it, she wouldnt help me. So needless to say I'm over genius'.

So any ideas? I really just want to get this up and running - I'm impatient. I'll offer more info if you need it. Thank you!!!!!!

2. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Sounds like making an appointment with Apple for tomorrow will be the way to go. Them turning you away was the right thing to do. They likely will be awesome and install the OS for you from their USB drive, but that will take 45 minutes. As it was closing time, they just knew they wouldn't be able to fully fulfill your needs.

Your description of the issue is confusing to me. You have 2 DVDs, one called 'disk 1' and one 'leopard'. Disk 1 can't see your new HD and Leopard seems to be an upgrade version; which I didn't know Apple did.

Make that appointment, realize your media and/or the drive are not doing what you want them to do, and let them happily fix your issue.

3. SVAman macrumors newbie

if disk utility is crashing you've either got bad RAM, a bad HDD, or a bad logic board. something hardware for sure.

my opinion is rather low of apple 'geniuses'.... i'd most certainly find a 3rd party company (with a decent reputation) to work on it.....

4. WildCard^ macrumors regular

My Apple store is filled with very knowledgeable geniuses. They sometimes go so far above and beyond that I feel guilty.

If I had the OP's issue, I would have taken it in for a quick query and assessment. As I questioned OP, I am not confident in the status of the OPs install DVDs.