Purchase Apple Watch series 4 today or wait till series 5 in September?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Natzoo, May 15, 2019.

1. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

As the title says, I am planning on buying an apple watch for a relative and was curious about if I should wait for series 5 or just go ahead and purchase the series 4 watch. The previous apple watch, the adhesive around the heart rate sensor wore off and is now unusable, it was a series 3 and had not been dropped.

2. BasicGreatGuy, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Wait until September. If you decide not to get series 5, prices for the series 4 will be even better.

I have a perfectly fine series 3 I will probably upgrade in September.

3. Relentless Power, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

To be honest, there really is no indication that a Series 5 will launch this fall. I don’t expect the Apple Watch to launch at the same time every single year, but Apple is unpredictable, so if you really want the Series 4, I would say maybe wait around August, usually the market becomes a little bit more saturated with those anticipating The next Apple Watch to launch mid-September, then they start selling the Series 4 for cheaper.

But it all really depends on your timeframe and when you think it’s best to make a move. But those are my suggestions

4. rattler macrumors regular

I bought my series 4 last week after the battery on my S2 started dying on me, and I love it. I was also thinking about waiting until September, but with such a big redesign for the series 4 I couldn’t imagine any major changes to the series 5 that would make it worth waiting another 4 or 5 months for.

5. akosnitzky macrumors member

akosnitzky

You can get the Series 4 now and do a trade-in for a Series 5 when available.

6. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

7. GDF macrumors 6502

I just bought a Series 4 and will trade it in if the 5 is that much better. Why wait?

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I only re-bought series 4 a month ago and plan to get SS version in September

9. satchmo macrumors 68020

Frankly, I can't imagine Apple changing the form factor of the AW5 so soon after the Series 4.

So, you'll perhaps just get a faster processor and maybe an added or improved sensor. My take is AW5 will be like an iPhone 'S' year.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

How will the AW5 be improved over the AW4?

Have not heard any rumors about a giant leap in tech when it comes to the AW4.

11. Relentless Power, May 21, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    Last edited: May 22, 2019 at 4:17 AM

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I strongly suspect the form factor will remain exactly the same for the Series 5, but I’m curious to see if Series 5 will even launch this fall, I say that because, there really isn’t any indication of Apple making any significant hardware changes (And not that there needs to be). The biggest changes seem to be coming with watchOS 6, which is actually what I’m looking more forward to with WWDC almost upon us.

12. Lozza013, May 21, 2019 at 7:23 PM
    Last edited: May 21, 2019 at 9:29 PM

Lozza013 macrumors regular

Lozza013

I'd wait till September (assuming Apple follows past release schedules) then you can choose between Series 4 or 5.

13. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Find a used one cheap and get the Series 5 in September.

At least, that's what my plan is. Had the SS Series 3, letting the lady friend wear it now since she misplaced her Series 1, and in the meantime I am wearing an Open Box Series 4. I really like what it offers over the Series 3 so far.

Definitely getting the ceramic case if the Series 5 reintroduces it.

14. HDFan macrumors 65816

Right, no guarantee.

Having had all of the watch versions the improvements in speed alone have made the upgrades well worth it for me. I'd probably take the chance and wait until September if selling/trading in a Series 4 if one is released in September would be too costly.

15. brandiop macrumors newbie

Which one is cheaper? If the price of series 5 is just the same as the series 4, then it would be wiser to wait for September. It would be just 3 months from now.

16. rgyiv macrumors regular

rgyiv

I'm more interested in this comment......so like the bottom of the apple watch wore off somehow?

17. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

I'm actually in the same boat, and at this point its definitely better to wait until September for Series 5. I heard the new feature will be sleep tracking, which is worth the wait for me.

18. ConfusedChris macrumors regular

ConfusedChris

Does the person need ECG tests, Irregular Rhythm Notifications etc. now, or can they wait?
    Would they benefit from the Fall Notification feature now?

19. HDFan macrumors 65816

If you have to wear the watch and therefore can't charge it overnight ...

20. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Put it on the charger whilst you're getting ready/showering etc etc in the morning and then do the same before going to bed for half an hour or so.

I use the Pillow app for sleep tracking so I put my watch on charge once I get in after cycling home from work whilst I shower and what not and then again before I go to bed. I usually have between 85%-95% before I sleep. I then give it a boost after I wake whilst I get my bike gear on before riding to work.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sleep tracking actually hasn’t been rumored until 2020 for the Apple Watch. Which could be an indication that a Series 5 may not launch this fall, perhaps by spring 2020 for the next model, or altogether, it’s referring to the Series 6 in 2020.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/26/apple-testing-sleep-tracking-feature-apple-watch/amp/

22. GDF macrumors 6502

There will be a series 5 AW, no way there will not be, too popular and Apple needs it for the Holiday season. Even if it is just minor speed bumps, etc, there will be one. If you want one, just buy now and if some reason there is a big change just trade up. Not that hard of a decision... :)