Purchase AppleCare for 2010 or use the sell and buy a 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, Mar 30, 2011.

  1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #1
    So I am trying to decide whether I should sell my current 2010 MBP (specs listed in sig) or keep my 2010 and purchase AppleCare.

    AppleCare costs 359 for the MBP. If I could sell my current MBP for a decent amount and then use that 359 dollars towards a new machine.

    I will be forced to purchase AppleCare in July of this year. July marks 12 months ownership of my 2010 MBP.
     
  2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

    Apple 26.2

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    Location:
    What up, 212?!
    #2
    How's your current machine treating ya? If all is well, I'd buy AC.

     
  3. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #3
    It is doing just fine.

    The only issue that I have had over the past 8 months of ownership was a slightly "creaky" hinge. I took it in for repairs at an Apple Authorized Service Provider and they told me that they "realigned the screen/hinge". Honestly, I don't think they did anything to it. I was kinda being a tad O.C.D.
    And the noise eventually went away... I could tell that they were kind of shocked that I was even asking them to fix this. The noise I was hearing was so faint that the technician had to turn off the Air Conditioning and the demo machines in the store just to hear the sound! (Call me crazy lol)

    Other than that little incident (if you can even call it one), I have had no other problems to report. I have had Parallels crash on a me once or twice (it ended up crashing the entire machine). But I attribute that to Parallels compromising reliably for speed. I've never experienced my machine reach thermal shutdown. I have seen my temps hit 100 C, but never for an extended period of time (and that was doing a yes > /dev/null stress test). I usually idle between 36 and 45 degrees (which seems to be on the cool side for MBPs).

    Just recently my machine started making that notorious metallic noise after I opened the lower case to do some routine spring cleaning (to clean out dust). However, I just took the lower case back off, realigned it, screwed the screws in a star-pattern and the noise magically went away. Problem solved...

    I am highly considering taking the ($400 to 500) that I would have spent out of pocket to buy a new MBP (after selling my current 2010) and purchasing a decent 160GB SSD. I think for my uses, I would see a much bigger speed boost from a SSD than a processor bump.
     
  4. vsighi macrumors 6502

    vsighi

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #4
    I am in the same situation, don't know what to do...all my PC laptops they all die in less then 2years...
    I think if you buy the AC and attached to the MBP you will sell the laptop faster...I will not purchase a AC and take a risk...I may wait for 2012 refresh and take it from there...:confused:
     
  5. TxdoHawk macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #5
  6. skdesign98 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2011
    Location:
    Niagara
    #6
    Keep your MBP!!!

    I'd keep what you have and just get the Applecare. With an i7 you have a fast machine and the next round of MBP may have significant design changes. You could even sell your machine in a year or two and put that towards a new mac. There could be two more rounds of updates by then.
     
  7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #7
    My policy has been, if at the (near) one year mark, and it makes financial sense to just move on up to a new model, do so. In your case though, I think I'd buy AppleCare now and keep my eye on the late-2011 / early 2012 update. Sell your laptop then, and it'll sell faster (and for more) with the AppleCare on it. Then get yourself the shiny new one.
     
  8. vsighi macrumors 6502

    vsighi

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #8
  9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #9
    Apple fulfills the warranty.
     
  10. xdbuix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Location:
    Virginia
    #10
    I second the B&H. I just got mine for my 15" for $244. Its cheap and is fully fulfilled by Apple.

    Also be sure to read up reviews on B&H. 5 stars all the way around in customer service.
     
  11. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #11
    Upgrade if you know your needs have exceeded the current capabilities of your machine, but odds are if you are asking if you need to upgrade, you don't need it, so keep what you have. Depreciation is a lot more than $350.
     
  12. 7thMac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 10, 2010
    #12
    Sell if you can get a good price. Some of the Apple notebooks retain a surprising value on resale. Otherwise, consider doing nothing. Check your credit card for coverage after the Apple warranty expires.
     
  13. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    #13
  14. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    SLC
    #14
    I've been letting people know that B&H has the AC for a little more than what the student discount is.

    It really is up to you. I highly doubt you would get much more than $1450 ish, as a refurb is $1599 at the Apple Store online and you get a 12 month warranty.
     
  15. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
    #15
    I'd recommend purchasing AppleCare for your existing MacBook Pro, it's more economical and if your computer is working well then I'd hesitate to go through the hassle of selling it just to have the latest and greatest.
     
  16. tcador macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #16
    Keep what you have, buy AppleCare then reevaluate next year. AppleCare will help with the resale values.

    My advice anyways.
     
  17. vsighi macrumors 6502

    vsighi

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
  18. themac23 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    #18
    Its very true that applecare can help with your resell value, BUT there is no way in heck you will get back the money you spend on apple care. If i planned to keep my current computer for another two years then i would buy the applecare. If not, i would sell the current laptol now while its still under warranty and then buy the 2011 model now. This will also give the new buyer the ability to purchase applecare if they so choose.
     

Share This Page