Purchase iPhone 5 for friend from Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petteri, Sep 19, 2012.

1. petteri macrumors member

Hey,

I'm planning on waiting in line Thursday night/Friday AM to pick up an iPhone for a friend who missed out on the online order window and won't be able to get to a store. I'm getting conflicting answers from the staff at the local Apple Store. Can I pick up the phone for her and then have her activate it later or even have them activate it right then if she isn't there? I'd have all of her account information. At the very least can I pick up an un-subsidized phone if they won't allow me to get the phone for her? :confused:

2. Jman14 macrumors 6502

You can do this as long as you are an Authorized User that appears under the EasyPay and AT&T account.. This being if the account is AT&T

3. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I dont think theyre selling unlocked (full price) phones at launch. They will need the info from the account holder for a subsidized phone.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

you need the account info
    you need to be authorized on the account (do this in advance)
    the line that is being upgraded needs to be eligible (did you check)
    somebody needs some money, cash?

5. leenak macrumors 68020

And you should also know, they probably won't let you buy more than 1 iPhone. Unless you are just such a good friend that you'll stand in line for someone :)

6. vmk9783 macrumors newbie

Funny I'm doing the same thing, but she has already made me an authorized user on her account. Will this be enough? Also does anyone know how much the actual phone will cost with tax? She is giving me cash and wants to make sure she gives me enough. She will be getting the 16 gb.

7. Jman14 macrumors 6502

You'll just take your local tax rate, multiplied by $199.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Oh no... I have to do math? Nobody told me about that.

Sad, really sad.

9. petteri thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help! I'm going to the Apple store this AM and see if I can get a more solid answer from them. On the AT&T site it says that the authorized user can only do the upgrades at an actual AT&T store and that at an Apple Store the actual account holder needs to be there.

10. renesandy macrumors regular

renesandy

I've done it at an Apple store being only an authorized user. They'll ask you for an ID and that's it!

11. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

She must be a good lay

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

That is incorrect, an actual account holder does not need to be there when you purchase an iphone at the Apple store. I'm an authorized user as well and I purchased the 4S without any issue with out my account holder being there.

As long as you are put as an authorized user, you can still purchase an iphone at the Apple store without the account holder being present. You just need to know the last 4 social security # and your ID. Apple can check if you are authorized user or not.

13. fisha20 macrumors newbie

Went to an Apple store to buy one for my MIL. Husband and I have same last name as her. They wouldn't let us buy it for her because we aren't on her AT&T account. She had to go and show her driver's license.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

And that is what it should be. She could have called in to ATT and and added you as an authorized user.