Purchased a MBA on 29 days ago, will they exchange for the updated Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mfresh2k2, May 1, 2014.

1. mfresh2k2 macrumors newbie

Hello, I waited as long as possible to replace my stolen macbook and landed on a MacBook Air 29 days ago. I like it but there was a recent refresh as you may already know and would like to have the newest processor. Will Apple exchange or let me return it to purchase a newer 2014?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I highly doubt it, but why don't you call and ask? If anyone can tell you one way or another it's definitely Apple.

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Personally, I don't think the spec bump is worth the trouble, but if you're going to try and do this I would just take it to the place you bought it and return it, take the money, and buy the new MBA somewhere else. If you go in trying to exchange it for a newer model, I think you're just opening the door for them to tell you no. Better to couch it as you simply being unhappy with the device and wanting your money back. On that note, you could go in and say that you're irritated that within 30 days the price dropped $100, but they might offer you a gift card or something.

What do you think this fractional bump in speed is going to give you that you can't get with your current MBA?

4. mfresh2k2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well-put and I agree that it's not worth the trouble. I called them and they've said to come in to see what they may be able to do. As far as I can tell, the newer model isn't blowing the doors off of mine so I'll just carry on. I'm happy with it all in all.

Thanks for the input

5. mfresh2k2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just went to Apple and they've undoubtedly done the right thing. I got the price drop difference credited back to my cc. Kept my original MBA, it's just fine :)

6. abta1 macrumors 6502

When Apple released the iPad 4 just under a month after I bought my iPad 3, I contacted them and after going into a store, they exchanges my 3 for a new 4. So I think Apple can be quite flexible in situations like this.

7. mfresh2k2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice !

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Our new MBA (13'' BTO with 8GB ram, 128gb ssd) arrived on Friday 25th April. Tuesday 29th April Apple updates it!

I've just contacted Apple (via text chat on their website) to ask if we can have a refund of the difference in price. Not bothered about returning it for the updated processor, but the price difference is £100! Really would like that refund.

Nope. Apple says we have to return ours, and get a refund, then order the new one - will take a long time... How did you get your price drop refund?

10. mfresh2k2 thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW. No need to return the hardware, someone at Apple can do an exchange on paper and credit you back the difference. Call again and see if you can get a decision maker on the line to assist. It was easy for me because I was in the store. To clarify, I didn't have to provide anything but my receipt (or you can use your Apple ID too.)

Good luck, it's very possible.

11. andysw9 macrumors newbie

Called apple.com this morning to ask if they would price match themselves on my 28 day old 13" Macbook Air; I have 2 days left on my return period. After checking with a manager I have £130 winging its way back to me :) Absolutely no hassle and the agent could not have been more helpful.

12. Agent69 macrumors member

Agent69

Glad to hear they hooked you up. I received my last Friday but I decided to hang on to it. But I did get the $100 refund.

And considering that my very first computer was a Powerbook 100, it feels right to own a Mac laptop again.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple is usually good for things like this.

Last year my Mac had a hardware issue and was about a month and half old. The Genius suggested I get a new computer instead of trying to fix it; his logic was a repaired computer is never as good as one that's perfect from the start.

The manager came over and approved the exchange right away.