Resolved purchased a used Macbook Air, old user has been deleted but files still take up space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nycurious, Aug 13, 2011.

1. nycurious, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

nycurious macrumors newbie

Hi

I recently purchased a used Macbook Air, late 2010 model. I had deleted the old user (I selected safely remove user)..and I reinstalled Lion hoping it would wipe everything out, but everything was still the same and I noticed that there's still stuff taking up hard drive space.

I have no music, no movies, and literally one picture in my users folder. The only Application I had installed onto the computer is Chrome and Microsoft Silverlight for Netflix. Is there a way I can start with a clean slate? I don't mind starting over since there's nothing on this computer anyway.

[​IMG]

2. iKolja macrumors newbie

iKolja

If you have lion on a disk you can boot into it, open disk utility and wipe the disk.
    That's the best way imo.

If you don't have lion on a cd, but you have it installed, you can try the recovery partition.I havent really used the recovery partition, but if i understood it's function properly, you can boot into it (when you startup hold alt/option, and you will be able to choose which disk will you boot from), and you will have the opinion to chose disk utility. use it to wipe out the disk, and reinstall lion.

3. nycurious thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, iKolja. I did the recovery partition thing and I didn't even need to have Lion on a disk. I think it downloaded itself again since the whole process took about an hour. However, even after wiping everything out, the computer still lists that I have x amount of audio, x amount of movies, x amount of photos, when I have none. It's not a big deal though.