Purchased AppleCare+ over the phone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lthompson, Sep 25, 2012.

1. lthompson macrumors member

Even though everything states you have to go to an Apple Store within 30 days to add AppleCare+ I thought I'd give them a call and see since the closest Apple Store is 60 miles away. Lady I spoke to said no problem and I went ahead and purchased it. They just needed the serial number and asked if everything was OK with the phone.

2. komodrone macrumors 6502

if you're within 50 miles of an apple store, they will require you to come in.

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Not within the first 30 days of the phone launch. Least they didn't with the 4S for the first 30 days.

4. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

You are correct. I have a Apple Store about 20 miles away but I didn't want to get caught up in the iPhone 5 release just for applecare+ so when I called I explained this to them and they said they'll make an "exception" at which point you give them your serial number and you affirm that your phone is fine with no issues and that's it.

Simple as that.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

before I received my iphone5, I called and they added applecare+ to the order

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I had to be a tad blunt with the first person I talked to. I had called prior to delivery and talked to someone who indicated if I was not within 50 miles (I'm 67 miles away) from the closest store, they could make an exception. I called back and got someone who was really nice but wouldn't sell me the applecare +, only the "applecare". I explained that I had called a couple days prior and talked to someone who said that if I were over 50 miles away they could make an exception. She was hesitant. I finally said "look, in the past year I've bought a 4s, an iPad 3, and now this. I have an applecare + on both of my other devices and have never come into a store. I understand if policies change and I can't order it on the phone but that's not what I was told the other day when I called. Samantha (the person from the other day) said that an exception could be made and I don't want to drive over an hour to buy a warranty for a phone that was delivered to my house less than an hour ago. If there is someone else I need to speak to in order to make it happen, can you transfer me to them?" I was transferred and bought my warranty.

Like I said, everyone was really nice... I just had a little "speed bump" to get over. My patience was less than normal too cause I had to call verizon twice prior to calling apple.

7. komodrone macrumors 6502

they did with my iPhone 5. I called the day after I got my iPhone 5 (which is obviously less than 30 days). The system wouldn't let him override to purchase AppleCare. He said any customers within 50 miles of an Apple Store had to go in store to do it.

8. Varishna macrumors newbie

Purchased mine over the phone today as well. I live about 10 miles from an Apple Store.

9. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

I purchased through Apple. I just got an email from Apple today stating I wasn't given an opportunity to purchase AppleCare durning my order. Therefore, I have until Sept 28th to order it without the requirement to have my iPhone inspected at an Apple store.

If anyone wants AppleCare, you have until 28th (assuming) you were in the initial buy/delivery like me.

Hope thi helps

10. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I live 106 miles from the nearest Apple store, think they'll make me drive all the way there? LOL :D