Purchased iPhone 32GB for $699 and have AT&T corporate account..how can I activate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dallasblack, Jun 24, 2010.

1. dallasblack macrumors newbie

Ok, so I pre-ordered the iPhone 4 32 GB here in Florida but did not expect them to sell it to my since I have an AT&T wireless corporate account (meaning I work for a company that pays for my phone and I cannot edit my account, that company is not AT&T).

I arrived near closing (no line) with my pre-order information and he began to ring me up. At the activation process it errored out stating I have a corporate account. I stated I want to buy it for $699 outright and they initially said no. I argued and finally I walked out with the iPhone 4 32 GB for $699 + tax. My receipt stated "No AT&T service activated with purchase".

Now, I have a corporate AT&T wireless account which is a regular SIM. I CANNOT change or update my corporate account or SIM so I am considering filing down the SIM into a Micro Sim and using it with the phone.

But, will I have issues activating the iPhone via iTunes? My ICCID number on my corporate SIM is different than the ICCID on the micro sim in the iPhone 4 box. Does this matter?

I am not opening the box until I hear a story of someone else doing something similar. I simply want to activate the iPhone and use my existing corporate account which has unlimited data and is paid for.

Thanks guys!

Dallas.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can go to an att store and have them give you a microsim and have them copy your regural sim to that.
    And then pop it in the iphone 4 and activate it.
    Thats it or cut it and stick it in and it will activate and work.
    If it doesnt you might have to call customer service to give them the simcard number and IMEI number of the iphone so they can do it manually on their end.
    Good luck.

3. dallasblack thread starter macrumors newbie

AT&T cannot touch my account since it is locked as a corporate account. The AT&T reps look at the account and go oh..wow ummm, yea, we cannot do anything to your account since it is a major corporate account, call your HR.

So, I can file down my current SIM to a micro sim but what do I do in iTunes? Doesn't iTunes try to contact AT&T? I am afraid it will error out and then I have a filed down SIM and no iPhone 4 :(

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats weird.
    I have a corporate/premier account also and they touch it no problem :D
    The cutting down the sim will work. All valid AT&T sims will activate any US iphone.
    You just gotta make sure you trim it right.
    If you dont want to do that just call up customer service and explain them your situation. Maybe they will send you a microsim thru the mail in order to use your line with that phone. I dont see the problem.
    You're making it more complicated than it is.

5. dallasblack thread starter macrumors newbie

My job records the ICCID number so any change would throw up a red flag (its a major security company).

Ok, so, do I need to file down the SIM and put it into the phone before activating on iTunes?

Thanks for your help!

6. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Uh, did you call your HR?

7. dallasblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh, you don't tell HR you are trying to change your corporate account so you can get a phone that is not within company policy...uhhh no.

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

What do you do if you need to replace your SIM?

In your activation case, you would just activate and pick existing number and complete the activation, it would deactivate your existing SIM and activate the new Micro SIM. You would just need to notify your HR team that you got a new phone and SIM. Should be a stardard practice type thing.

Why all the games? Are you sure that they don't also want you to report the IMEI of your phone? This is often also used for Exchange Security and a bigger issue if you are required to report your ICCID and IMEI.

So in summary, your only other option is to cut down your existing SIM an use it in the iPhone 4. It will result in what is know as a quick tether where just the iPhone 4 is activated. No changes are made to the SIM.

Just trim slowly, and you should get a Micro SIM to use as a guide. Just stop by an AT&T COR store.

Note: there is a reason your Corp has a policy in place, do you really want to lose your job over an iPhone 4! Just ask, it may be that your iPhone 4 is not approved as a vaild CRU supported device.

Dave

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I see.
    Try this to trip your regural sim to a micro-sim.
    http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/05/trim_your_sim_ftw.html

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yeah, way to put your job in jeopardy. If you can't go to HR and say "Hey, here's my new iPhone, can you activate it?" Then you should't be doing this.

As an admin if I caught you blatantly attempting to circumvent the corporate security (esp if we have PCI, HIPPA , etc compliance issues) I'd report you to HR.

Those rules are in place for good reason, not just to annoy you and make your life difficult.

11. dallasblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Gecko, yep, I live on the edge.

Thanks all for the info. I will just file it down and activate.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, you are a mean admin :D
    You dont feel the desire of someone wanting to use an iphone instead of those crappy blackberrys they were given?

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a security nazi. But for good reason, I've seen corporate espionage and I've seen it hurt good companies. Also, for example, my current company deals with medical records. Some of our users have medical records in their e-mail inbox. How would you like to know that your medical records were exposed because someone lost an iPhone that was never supposed to be connected to their corporate system...so it was never reported lost/stolen? For that reason, locking down the mobile devices is very important.

I have no issue with our users having iPhones, but they just need to go through the system so I can make sure it is locked down and that I can remotely wipe if it is lost/stolen. No big deal, just be honest with me and I'll take care of you. Lie to me and I'll nail your ###.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Safety first.

15. nph macrumors 6502a

I am kind of in the same boat except that I already have an approved iphone and the only issue is they don't pay to upgrade to another iphone version. 4G has more security features.

16. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

I really hope you are coming from one iphone and moving to another, because otherwise it's going to be extremely obvious to your employer very quickly that you did something you weren't supposed to when they see your plan switch to an iphone data plan.

17. nph macrumors 6502a

Yep, have an approved iphone (including plan etc), just upgrading to the 4G version.

18. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

Yah I'm more worried about the other guy who's all gung ho about chopping up his simcard.

If he doesn't have an iphone right now then I hope he hasn't cut it up yet, because then he'd be really screwed.

Not so easy to explain why you don't have your work phone anymore because the sim got cut into pieces.

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

We’ve seen him flying around Dallas at night. Many an iPhone abuser has simply disappeared.

20. spicyj macrumors member

I bought a 3GS for full price back in October, and I can tell you that the included micro-SIM will activate the phone even if it's not connected to any service plan. So I would plug it in and activate it, then swap out the sim once it's activated.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, thats after he cuts it.
    His cut up simcard to microsim will also activate it anyway.

22. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

are you trying to pull a fast one on your company? like why don't you just tell them what your trying to do and ask them for help lol

edit: upon further reading, this doesn't seem like the OP should be using an iPhone , then again we don't have all the details.

23. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Sounds like OP is on the fast track to unemployment. I certainly wouldn't tolerate an employee who cannot be upfront about a cell phone upgrade.

24. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

i have the same kind of issue....I can change my corporate account though to accomodate service plans...my problem is i cant buy an iphone 4....unless att sells me one without contract....if i get one, i can call and change sim easy...(actually this is my wife's account, i have an iphone 4 on a personal account)....

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So then just buy one at full price without contract or thru ebay.