Purchased iPhone and already had sim card in it... from the wrong country!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bjorn989, Sep 13, 2008.

1. bjorn989 macrumors member

Well yesterday I took the plunge and bought an iPhone! I signed up for a 24 month contract and told the guy that I would rather bring the iPhone home to unlock it.

When I got home I eagerly opened up the box to look at my brand new beautiful gadget. I noticed that there were already some fingerprints on the screen, which I thought was a bit odd considering it was supposed to be brand new. When I opened up the sim slot I found an AT&T sim card inside.

This was strange because I am from Australia and I am signed up to Optus. Anyway the bloody thing wouldn't recognise the sim card that Optus gave me. I took it back to them telling them that they had obviously given me a phone that was faulty to start with and had been returned. Now they are sending the phone back to their repair shop and I won't have it back until at least next Wednesday.

Does anyone think it is strange that Optus sold an obviously faulty iPhone from America, yet the phone had the Australian charger? I was wondering whether anyone else could know how this could happen? Surely this suggests some sort of mistake along the supply line.

Sorry... long post but I think it is a weird story. Any thoughts?

2. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

That is pretty weird. If i were i would take it back and get a real new one. The one you got maybe be refurbished or something?

3. bjorn989 thread starter macrumors member

I was unaware that they sold refurb iPhones here. I know that I definitely didnt pay a refurb price.

I took it back today and they have sent it off. I asked for a new one. I don't know whether they will fix it or replace it. I hope they replace it.

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Hope
    I would have walked out of there with my money back. How are you going to allow them to repair a brand new phone.

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Exactly. You paid for a new phone (I'm assuming) and so a new phone is what you should get. "Repair" shouldn't even be a word that would enter that conversation. :confused:

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Lame. You should just return it. Tell them you want to cancel the contract and return the phone. Then re-order once it's done.

This time, let them open it up at the store. There's really nothing magical about that experience.

7. bjorn989 thread starter macrumors member

Well I took it back yesterday. I am not intending to let them get away with this, as you guys have said. I definitely think that Optus must accept at least some responsibility for the mistake.

I think that the real issue with this is that the phone was obviously from America and was obviously faulty, yet shipped to Optus directly with an Australian power supply. Is Apple repackaging and refurbishing old iPhones without customers knowing? If they are refurbishing them they should at least do a better job because this one was not working. They also should not be selling (or let the be sold) at the price of a new model.

8. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

You should not have walked out of that store without a replacement....I would have laughed at their 'it'll be ready on Wednesday' ********. No, it's ready right now and it's in your inventory room.

9. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

my coworker had a similar experience here in canada, his iphone randomly came (august 30th)with an at&t sim card in box (even though the carrier here is rogers), his phone still worked, but it was odd that it came with the card.