purchased macbook pro with photoshop and word but had to format, can i get it back?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mia-rafael, Aug 12, 2016.

1. mia-rafael macrumors member

mia-rafael

hi

i got a late 2014 macbook pro 15 retina on eBay 4 months ago and had to bring into repair for a back logic board, it came with apple care, photoshop and word, how ever i was asked to back up everything but when i made a disk utility copy i got errors when trying to restore and now i can't get in touch with the seller on eBay because overtime i try to reply i get a message asking for the item i am emailing about as if he blocked it.

is there a way to get back the photoshop and word?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If the software was legally licenced to you I would contact Adobe and Microsoft and ask for their advice. If it wasn't licenced, then I'm sorry but we can't help you here on MacRumors.

Forum Rules

3. mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

to me?

i thought there where packages with photoshop and word pre installed on macbook pros no?
    should not the seller have these serial numbers?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Most of the ones you see on offer on eBay are loaded with pirated software and even if it was purchased by the original owner, the licence would need to be transferred to you to keep it legit.

I'm not sure about Adobe but bundled OEM Microsoft software is supplied with a licence and serial number which allows you to reinstall it.

5. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

If I was to guess I'd say they where cracked programs.

My grand niece has a dodgy office 2011 on her mac that "a friend" put on.

We see it alot in my job as I work for a computer repair shop.

Customers upset when drive fails or corrupt and we reinstall and we are not able to put back the programs that their friend put on.

We explain they are not legal.
    Oh but my friend did it for me so must be ok.

If you have never made a time machine backup then you are going to have to buy them.
    I do not condone pirate software, but have used some in past.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No.

Yes, because he bought the software. Since you didn't get the software discs or serials to go with your purchase, I strongly assume that the seller illegally gave you installed software to go with the machine.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

people do that when selling computers, as to entice potential buyers. Sweeten the deal, so to speak.

Photoshop is not THAT expensive. $10 a month from Adobe (amazon had a deal where it was $7 a month with LR CC).