Purchased MBP in Christmas '10 who regrets not waiting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsoto, Mar 1, 2011.

1. jsoto macrumors regular

jsoto

I purchased my first MBP 15" high end i7 in Christmas '10. Retail $2199 in BestBuy. Now that same brand new notebook is going for $1811.99

That really makes me :mad:@ myself for not waiting 3 more months. That is some chump change that I could have saved.

Is anybody out there feeling the same thing?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You will drive yourself crazy if you continue down this path. I could have bought the iPad I have today for $450. That would have saved me $150 + tax. I could have bought the car I have today for $10k less. The list is long and distinguished. It is silly to put yourself through this. What you need to do is enjoy the machine you have today. Quite frankly, there are larger issues in life than this.

3. Mik3F macrumors 6502

No, not at all. At the end of the day I knew there was going to be a refresh but I chose to buy when I did.

My MBP does everything I need it to do and I am more than happy with it.

It shall be given to the wife when I do eventually upgrade after the redesign

4. Rafi macrumors newbie

i agree with the above. but im in the same boat. i bought an i5, retail 1899. and now they dont even have the i5 in the 17".

id rather be in your boat and have the i7 and just eat the $300. i ate $300 and processor.

but my MBP does everything i need it to. so its not so bad

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

this is true. Technology gets cheaper all the time. I bought my previous MBP the day the unibodies' came out, but I got it from the Apple clearance site.

If you are that worried about it, you could sell it and get a new one, but you probably will sell it for a bit less than you bought it for..

6. jsoto thread starter macrumors regular

jsoto

Thanks guys. I am just going to forget it & be happy with what I got. It was my first Mac purchase. I have enjoyed it tremendously. But I didn't expect that much of a price swing in 2 months. Live & learn!

Thanks!

7. orangepeel macrumors member

It will wear off in about a week or two. It's not just the money, it's that the performance has been significantly improved. Ordinarily a typical refresh see's around a 20%-30% increase in performance this time it was 2x. It's feels like a kick to the gut but what can you do, *shrugs shoulders* and moves on.

8. jsoto thread starter macrumors regular

jsoto

You took the words right out of my mouth orangepeel

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

We're ECSTATIC we didn't wait.

- In our offices our 15" MBP's have AG screens at 1440 x 900 resolution, an option no longer available. Want AG now? Then you get the 1650x display and super small UI fonts. As is too small for many many buyers ...

- No roaring fans.

- No excessive heat, screwing around with thermal paste, exchanging machines etc.

Unless you're in the top 5% of power computer users you won't appreciate the power, 20-20 vision required to work in Illustrator or InDesign for any length of time. What are you going to plug in thunderbird now?

To force small fonts on a buyer for wanting anti-glare is wrong ... fan and heat issue's bother some and not others ... but it's not for me for sure.

I want a display I can easily read from a comfortable distance, a quiet, cool fast notebook and that's what we have with all the 2010 MacBook Pro's purchased by my company.

There are people here who insist on AG screens, they won't go higher than 1440x resolution on a 15" screen.

But, these people are just 'regular humans', not Apple addicts like many of us. It's interesting to see their sensibilities when buying/using equipment, they have no idea what Sandy Bridge is or Core Duo for that matter. They just want an easy to use machine, legible fonts, quiet and cool, and fast enough to do their work, and the more lightweight the better.

Sure I could do complex tasks like complex spreadsheets or use FCP to edit video faster than ever but how many of us do that on a regular basis ... and many of those that do look to desktops for heavy lifting ....

My point is for the 'regular' buying public many won't see it as an upgrade ... they care about the (sensible) points I mentioned. And, for these kind of buyers the changes Apple just made to their 15" MBP's won't be seen as an upgrade.

One benefit is cost savings but for some they're rather pay more for less and have the points I mentioned in this post addressed.

10. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Don't beat yourself up too much over it. That same laptop that's $1811.99 today will probably be $1599.00 next year.

The vicious cycle continues.