Purchased my 5k imac for $1,600 USD ...deal of a lifetime? (mini-review)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by slimpsy, Jun 6, 2015.

1. slimpsy macrumors newbie

slimpsy

I feel like I got the deal of a lifetime on my 5k retina. I was able to get it at Best Buy, Open-Box in-store with 10% off movers coupon for $1,637.99. This is a savings off the release price of over $860 dollars! I was going back and forth between the 5k and a refurbished late 2013 i7 with 4GB 780m but at this price, I couldn't afford not to grab it.

The greatest part is I was able to get the original box and the thing looks brand new. The previous purchaser might have turned it on, then immediately returned it from buyers remorse, because there wasn't even a fingerprint on it.

The configuration I got is the release model with i5 4690, m290x & 1tb fusion drive, instead of the new lower price entry. . . so this is a crazy bonus for me! The only downside was the original purchase was made in March, so I lost a few months of the factory 12 month warranty. I plan to purchase AppleCare however, so not a big deal.

I installed my authentic windows 8.1 with bootcamp for dual boot and light gaming and I am already contemplating selling my windows gaming PC as I am that happy with the performance of this, even under windows..for the games I play casually (league of legends, csgo & dota2).

I do a lot of video editing of my family and friends, but mostly my children as they grow. The 5K screen real estate this offers and using Final Cut Pro X has been an incredibly satisfying experience. I don't know I could ever go back to Premiere on PC, and in fact this seems to encode faster than the 3770K i7 on my PC!

DID I MENTION THE SCREEN IS A GIFT FROM GOD? YOU CANNOT SEE A SINGLE PIXEL ON THIS THING.....I DROOL EVERY TIME I SIT AT IT!!!!!

I guess I am rambling, but I just wanted to provide a shout out to anyone on the fence. . . GET THE 5K! There will always be something better coming, but this is an almost perfect product, and the most pleasurable computing experience I have had in years.

Thanks for this forum and all the advice & guidance I have found here. I appreciate it.

Get it refurbished. . find it open box. . . YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT! :)

2. Cape Dave macrumors 65832

"DID I MENTION THE SCREEN IS A GIFT FROM GOD? YOU CANNOT SEE A SINGLE PIXEL ON THIS THING.....I DROOL EVERY TIME I SIT AT IT!!!!!"

Glad to see someone else GETS the Retina screen! It is so amazing.

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

Yep, That additional open box discount is a huge bonus. I got 10% off the recent sale price for a total of 1908 (out the door including tax). I would have rather paid your price.

4. slimpsy thread starter macrumors newbie

slimpsy

Yeah, for sure! I definitely can't have too much buyers remorse from all the savings I got. Of course this site has me paranoid there will be an astronomical change in the lineup with the new Skylake. . . this does everything I need and then some at a fast and productive rate. . . all I can ask for!

5. pingfan59 macrumors member

I also just recently picked order a certified excellent condition open box iMac 5k and final total came to about $1443, too good to pass up as well. I need to unbox it and get it set up, but do not foresee any issues.

6. slimpsy thread starter macrumors newbie

slimpsy

That's awesome! Did you get it when they dropped it down during that 8 hour sale? That's when I was able to nab mine! You got it even less, epic sauce! Well worth it. . . you are gonna love it!

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I paid full price. Last November I saw it in the Apple Store, right next to the 27" with the non-retina display. I could see the difference from across the room. It's been fantastic for photography and agreed it is amazing for Final Cut Pro X. No buyer's remorse even at full price. I just couldn't wait for the discounts.

8. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

9. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

I have a 24 inch screen now, how fast is it to adjust to a 27 inch screen?

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

24" iMac? Easy! It's about as tall but wider so needs a bit more desk. Quieter and better brightness adjustment (you can dim it down which you can't with the blindingly bright 24").