Purchased my iPhone 5 early this morning, can I buy Apple Care +?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Imola Ghost, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I didn't see an option to purchase it and would have. Can I buy it when I receive it?

2. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Yes but you'll have to make a genius appointment at a apple store to add it.

3. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

you have 30 days from the day you purchase the iphone to get applecare +.

----------

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

"Important notes

AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage. Schedule a Genius Bar appointment"

4. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

5. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

I purchased mine through the ATT store and the biggest problem I see is that I don't live near an Apple Store anymore so I can't get a genius to verify purchase date and condition to get Applecare+.

Anyone find a workaround for this?

6. dublin925 macrumors newbie

When I preordered online, I received an email a day after mentioning that I can add AppleCare+ to my order before the 21st. Any day after that I would have to go to the Apple store to purchase it. The number for the applecare is 1-800-676-2775. Request for the online sales team and mention that you would like to add the applecare+ to your order.

7. ndpitch macrumors 6502

I received a similar email that said something along the lines of "we see you weren't presented with the opportunity to add AppleCare+ to your order. Please reply to this email if you'd like it added."

I replied, and a few days later they said they added it to the order. I logged into the order status, and it wasn't there. Who knows?

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I never received any email from Apple but I emailed them myself tonight and 3 hours later they had added it to my order.

9. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

I actually bought Squaretrade because I thought Applecare was not an option (I live over 120 miles away from a store) so when I found out you can just call them to get Applecare, I got my Squaretrade refunded and purchased Applecare.

10. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I never got that email.

Thing is, I used Bill Me Later (Paypal credit) to buy it, as I had sold my iPhone 4S through eBay, so I should have just added it then.

BTW, I have heard that if there is no Apple store near you, you can just call Apple and they can add it on, after you get through their automated prompting system (I hate their computer audix!).

11. bwhitta macrumors regular

I purchased AppleCare in store for one of my phones on Saturday after receiving it on Friday. The process was so easy. The line to get into the store was out the door. I told the employee at the door that I wanted AppleCare. He examined my phone right there and I paid him. It took about two minutes. He told me that they don't require Genius appointments for AppleCare purchases anymore.

I then went back on Tuesday afternoon to purchase AppleCare for another phone. This time wasn't so simple. The appointment check in guy gave me the hardest time because I didn't make an appointment. The store was empty, with employees literally standing around. I got annoyed and the employee checking in reservations clearly made me wait because I was debating with him. After 15 minutes, a Genius asked me what I was waiting for and seemed surprised that no one helped me purchase AppleCare immediately. Dealing with this, after spending thousands of dollars in the store over the last couple of years, really pissed me off.

12. jatt123 macrumors member

I just added it yesterday over the phone. The rep didn't say anything about going to an apple store. I pre ordered through bestbuy as well. She started my apple care the day I purchased it. (09/21/12)

13. beowulfPKR macrumors newbie

AppleCare Plus Is different than apple care (+ covers accidents) and in my experience they like to do it in person to verify the phone is not already damaged.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

How consistent are they with charging that $49 fee on top of the cost of AppleCare+? The idea that they are going to charge me a second time to utilize the coverage kind of irks me.

15. bwhitta macrumors regular

The $49 is the deductible, like the deductible in your automobile insurance plan. If your phone is damaged during the two years of coverage, you pay $49 for repair or replacement. AppleCare is much more affordable than the insurance offered by carriers. I think Verizon's coverage runs about $10/month and the deductible is around $200.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have never had to pay the deductible....2 replacements

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

My insurance deductible is not half the cost of the premium. That's just stupid.

----------

Thanks, good to know. I'm on the fence about AppleCare+ for my iPhone 5.

18. mtcowdog macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone at a Verizon store and called Apple to get Applecare+. But I also live in Montana, and the nearest Apple Store is hundreds of miles away, in another state. It took some patience and talking to several people, but it's done.

19. bwhitta macrumors regular

That's pretty much standard for cell phone insurance. In comparison, Squaretrade is $94 for two years with a $50 deductible. I chose AppleCare because I could simply walk into an Apple Store to handle a claim.

In the past, I know some insurers gave phone riders on homeowners/renters policies that were much more affordable. Allstate would not provide me with one when I inquired last week.

20. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Do they check for a receipt when you buy apple care +?

I bought my 5 on craigslist, so I don't have a proof of purchase.

21. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

They never asked me for a receipt... got both of my iPhone 5's covered. I imagine you will run into an issue once it's the end of October and the phone has been released for 30+ days.

22. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Bought my iPhone 5 with my Amex card so I have purchase protection (accidental/loss/stolen) for 3 months. After the 3 months I'll consider AppleCare+...

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You have to purchase it within 30 days.

24. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I dont know, if I were OP I'd call AppleCare support. I got my phone last Friday(ordered preorder from Apple.com) and on Saturday I called AppleCare to add AC+ over the phone, they charged me, and just got my welcome kit yesterday, so I have AC+ now. I didn't have to bring it to the store or anything....

25. adeedew macrumors regular

Go w/ AppleCare + or Squaretrade IMO. You get 4 accidents w/ SQ but went with apple figuring they'd be a bit more cooler considering you bought their extra coverage if the phone was dropped in water for example. SQ actually gives you more for same price assuming based on feedback as they're pretty highly rated.