iPhone XR Purchased XR instead of X (did I make a mistake?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HickDead, Dec 5, 2018.

1. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

As the title reads, I picked up an iPhone XR (64gb) today. Could have picked up the X (new/64gb) for the same price.

Should have I gone for the X instead of the XR or did I make the correct choice or is the X a better iPhone model than the XR currently right now?

2. thadoggfather, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I'd rather have XR over X for several reasons (and I traded in my X 64gb for a gift card recently, after using XR exclusively for a month):
    -cheaper repair costs
    -battery life
    -no PWM/blue tint shift/finnicky tint shift color
    -what I call 'proper' True Tone since it works well on LED iPads and 8/8+/XR... not so much with OLED in its current form
    -scaled to XS Max to see more on the screen
    -the color
    -camera
    -improved FaceID a bit (seems to hunt less before unlocking)
    -improved speakers
    -$50 upcharge 64 to 128, as opposed to $150 to go 64 to 256 which I wont need
    -even though dual cameras is preferable photography wise, I think the vertical look is absolutely atrocious

3. C DM, Dec 5, 2018

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That really only depends on you and what works better for you based on your needs/wants. What is it that matters to you (in relation to those devices) as far as seeing what is the "correct" choice?

4. kre62 macrumors 68020

XR best phone Apple makes currently. No tradeoffs from OLED tech, best battery life, and reasonably priced.

5. Nbd1790 macrumors member

I have an X from last year and a family member just purchased an XR. Have to say, can't notice much of a difference (even with the screen) You got your hands on some newer tech so I would say you made the right decision.

6. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

The XR is an excellent phone. I have found no drawbacks to it having come from an 8+ (which now my wife's). For me the XR is the real sweet spot in the iPhone line up.

7. white4s macrumors 68000

8. Kram Sacul macrumors regular

Kram Sacul

Yes. The Xr has too many compromises.

9. kre62 macrumors 68020

Nope

10. agente46, Dec 5, 2018

agente46 macrumors member

You didn't make a mistake. I'd rather have a better camera, processor and battery life over a OLED screen where the difference isn't very noticeable.

instead of asking people to confirm your decision, you need to make your own and go with it.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I traded in my X for my Xr and am very happy with my decision. The speakers on this thing are incredible and I love how I don't have to worry about fingerprints on the back and the frame like I did with the space gray X (I got the white Xr). The bump in screen size is a nice bonus too.

12. apolloa macrumors G4

You’ll have loads of us XR owners saying no, and loads of X owners saying yes. What you should do perhaps is tells us what are your concerns exactly? The camera? Size? Etc.

13. anthony13 macrumors regular

They’re both great. If oled isn’t a deal breaker you’re fine. Overall I think the X is the better device.

14. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

The X has a smaller form factor and could have a Qualcomm modem.

The XR has the A12, excellent battery life, and a larger screen. The XR should in theory get 1 more year of updates over the X so that could be better.

The only reason to get the X over the XR is if you want OLED and a smaller form factor. Otherwise, in my opinion, the XR is the better choice.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What do you personally like between both phones? I think what you’re really choosing is the size of the phone, because there are key differences between the 5.8 and 6.1 form factor, but ultimately they share a lot of the same features, aside from a few camera differences.

I will say, the XR has been delivering excellent battery results from others usage and if that’s an important enough to you, then you might consider keeping the XR.

16. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I have the X and am happy with it over the XR because it looks like the XS so it just looks like the most premium iPhone.

And of course, OLED, better camera I think.

Wish it had 4GB RAM though

17. Leon88 macrumors regular

I actually upgraded from my X to the XR instead of the XS. I much prefer the LCD screen over OLED because OLED has issues with reproducing different shades of dark grey. On my X, dark greys tend to have a greenish tint to it. The OLED color temperature was also too yellow for my liking.

Regarding the lower screen resolution on the XR- I think people are being overly critical about this without actually seeing the XR in person. I honestly cannot tell the difference unless I am comparing the X and XR side by side. It’s plenty sharp.

The only real concession I can tangibly say in getting the XR is the loss of 3D Touch. I rely on 3D Touch a lot for activating the cursor in the keyboard. I know you can long press the space bar on the XR to activate the cursor but I found it unreliable as it would fail to trigger sometimes. Having the longest battery life out of all current iPhone models is a nice bonus.

18. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I feel the X would be the better value device, but hey be happy with your XR :)

19. Mackinjosh macrumors 65816

The more I use the XR the more I love it. Best part is I saved a bunch of money not getting the XS and prefer the phone I ended up with.

20. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Also stronger glass on Xr. The X and iPhone 8 Plus glass were weaker according to CNET drop test.

21. Whoakapi macrumors 6502

I've always found it pointless to buy old Apple devices. They are usually still too expensive.

Congrats on the XR.

22. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

I had my heart set on the XR. So far I love it. You made the right choice.

23. scotsmandc macrumors member

I find the xr screen lags for animation. I've tried every xr display model that I come across and every one of them feels just a tad sluggish even though it isn't. For example opening and closing apps, it feels like it's skipping frames during the animation which for me isnt pleasant to my eyes. Not sure if the higher resolution/OLED is negating the animation lag im talking about.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Both phones offer something, and you need to determine if those positives align with your wants.

I bought the Xr for my kids, and its a fantastic phone, I had an X, and that's a fantastic phone. Do you care about the telephoto camera? or do you want to take advantage of the computational photography that is embedded in the Xr.

25. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I was excited to upgrade from my 6S Plus to the XS Max this fall. I went through 2 Maxes and still had poor connectivity issues. Just terrible for me and not dependable. So at that point my options were waiting for the XR or going to Best Buy for a new X. I went with the X and couldn’t be happier - everything works just the way it should. And actually like the smaller form factor better than the Max.

My daughter recently got the XR and loves it. She loves the size, it works great for her and the battery life is just incredible. So either choice is a good one. If you are happy with the phone and it works good for you - just enjoy.