Purchasing 3G iPhone and transferring 8GB iPhone to my wife question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleFan360, May 8, 2008.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

So, please tell me if this is possible:

I currently have a 8GB iPhone. When the 3G phones come out, I want to give my 8GB phone to my wife. She already has a phone from Sprint.

What I want to do is this:

1. Purchase the 3G phone
    2. Transfer my current phone number to the new 3G phone.
    3. Transfer my wife's current Sprint phone number to the 8GB iPhone.

I realize I might have to do this at the AT&T store but it should work right?

In what order should it be done? Should I transfer my phone number first or hers?

She will need to setup her own iTunes account right?

Thanks for the help.

2. heyp macrumors 6502

I'm assuming you can just switch the sim card from your current iphone into the 3G iphone. Take the unactivated sim from the 3G iphone and put it into the old iphone. Have your wife activate the old iphone thru itunes making sure that her sprint contract is NOT cancelled before she does this.

go spurs

3. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

We just did something SIMILAR to this with our family share plan. You would have to just switch the SIM cards, and they SHOULD switch because they say ATT SIMs have 3G capability. THen you just get a new SIM from ATT and take your old iphone with the NEW SIM card back home, plug it into itunes and then you just click ADD A LINE TO EXISTING ATT ACCOUNT and then choose PORT LINE and you will have to put in first you ATT info, and then the Sprint info with the phone number that she wants to keep and you will be DONE.. its pretty easy in THEORY..

we had LOTS of issues with itunes not confirming the existing ATT account and CS totally screwed us up be telling us to start it as it's OWN account and then on MONDAY (it was sunday at the time) call ATT and have them add that individual line to the family line. But CS said they can not do it until the person had the account for 60 days.. thats $60 a month for two months.. i had to go through 3 managers and supervisors to get it all straightened out.. SO my advice, DO NOT DO IT ON A SUNDAY. The customer service people that are there on sundays are not the brightest and they arent there for that long, it closes at 6 i think