Purchasing 5S at Target, etc. with grandfathered plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inksworth, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Inksworth, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

Inksworth macrumors regular

Inksworth

I saw a handful of posts where people were reserving their phones at Target, and sure enough, I was able to reserve both a gold and silver phone for my lines (with printout confirmation). It was very easy with no money down or anything, it's just a piece of paper saying "I was here first, so save one for me." sort of thing.

Anyway, my question is this for people who have grandfathered unlimited plans (like with AT&T, specifically):

When you purchased your 4S or 5 from a retailer store like Target, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc., did you have to do anything special or tell them specifically to make sure you got to keep your unlimited data plans? I'm worried that'll be an issue because back when I did my purchase on Apple.com two years ago I was so paranoid about making sure I clicked the "Unlimited Data" plan when configuring my new service contract.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone who works at these stores willing to weigh in on the process? Heck, what *is* the process like purchasing it in a non-Apple/carrier store?

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR - Will I have any trouble making sure my unlimited plan doesn't change if I buy from Target?

2. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Sorry to not answer your question but I've never done it. However can you tell me how you reserved one? Was it in store? If so I will be heading to my Target in the morning! :D

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

I upgraded at radioshack 3 years ago. At that time unlimited had just been thrown out the door but business unlimited was still there. There system upgraded my phone and my plan to the business one which was very expensive. I said, no i don't want to change plans and they said I have to sign the touchscreen in order for them to reverse it. I said no way and they eventually fixed it somehow. Most stores should be able to handle it but you never know.

4. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The deal is to call your carrier when you have the new phone in hand but BEFORE turning on your new phone or trying to activate it.

I have to do that too, I got my phone through Apple online and asked ATT about it and that's what they told me. Making the call before you try to activate your upgraded device lets them associate your old data plan to the new phone and override the more or less token data plan that Apple makes you check off when you order your upgrade.

5. Inksworth thread starter macrumors regular

Inksworth

Huh. I'm gonna have to see what the purchase process is. I sort of assumed they'd activate it in-store before I left, what with the SIM cards and whatnot. I'll have to check into this further. Thanks for the heads up! I just checked my eligibility and plan options with the 5C and my Unlimited plan was still there, so I should be fine provided the computers at Target (and if they don't, I'm not buying and will just hit the Apple/AT&T store) have a similar contracting system.

Apparently Target stores are allowing you to reserve *any* of the new phones. Just go to their cell section and they'll check your upgrade eligibility. They'll ask you which model you want and print out a reservation sheet, saying you should print an e-mail you'll get once they have it in stock. It was easy as cake.

That's both promising and scary. :p

6. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

They should be able to click "keep existing plan". That's how it is at Best Buy anyway.

7. blerns3 macrumors 6502

Do Best Buy or Target allow you to buy outright?

8. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Just a heads up: third party stores that give out reservations don't always have enough stock to honor those reservations. I had some buddies who reserved phones, I believe it was the 4s, at best buy and they showed up to purchase their devices and BB was all sold out.

This is really only a concern if you're dead set on getting yours on launch day(like me). If you are, I'd have a plan B just in case.

Good luck!

9. cnotes2019 Suspended

Target doesn't unless you're an employee :) ....sadly they won't let me reserve the 64gb smh. Just the stupid 16gb!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

10. blerns3 macrumors 6502

Wait so they just won't let you buy the 64gb outright or none outright?

11. cnotes2019 Suspended

Huh? I said they won't let me reserve it. As far as paying full price for phones I don't believe it's their policy to let customers buy off contract but I could be wrong or you may just get a nice target mobile employee/manager that will allow you to :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

12. James717 macrumors regular

Slip him/her a $50 and you'll get anything u want.

I did with a $20 ad walked out with a case of limited edition toys.

13. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

My local Target has a 64GB Gold on reserve. I didn't have to buy a gift card either.

14. ajaxmonkey macrumors member

ajaxmonkey

I'm adding a line to get the iPhone can I still reserve?

15. Inksworth thread starter macrumors regular

Inksworth

Thanks! Absolutely. They said they'll hold our reservation for 48 hours -- we're really thinking of hitting up the Apple store first in the morning. Personally, I'm fine with my 4S for the next week or two. It's the fiance who's working with a half-dead 3GS after turning in her 4S because she changed jobs (phone was provided through work). So, if I can only manage to get one on launch day we'll be good. :)

That'd be everything I could ask for. Ha. :p

I couldn't tell you. The only thing that makes me think "no" is the guy at the cell station told me it was one-per-person, though I was able to reserve the other under my fiance's name.

16. ajaxmonkey macrumors member

ajaxmonkey

Thanks. I was able to still reserve. She told me they usually get them on release day so I'm just hoping. I chose to get the silver one. I was told I was the first to reserve it so that's another good sign.