Purchasing a QNAP TS-419PII but need advice on drives to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by woodbm, Apr 1, 2012.

1. woodbm macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am about to pull the trigger on a QNAP TS-419PII and keep looking over drives to buy for it. I would like to buy 3TB drives. I have looked at the compatibility list on QNAP's site but was wondering if anyone had good or bad experiences with drives they have bought. I did a quick search on here but didn't see anything on this. I apologize if this has been covered before.

Some drives I have been looking at are:

HITACHI Deskstar 0S03228 3TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.5"

Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX 3TB

HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I purchased the QNAP TS 219P+ and love it. Its a great NAS and I'm sure you'll be very happy with the 419PII

I opted for a pair of samsung drives that were on the compatibility list for QNAP.

After reviewing their forums and researching on which hard drive model, I found that samsung was a good choice.

The WD green drives are generally a poor choice for NAS because they spin down and I've read reports that it cause NAS units some problems. I'd personally avoid those.

The 0S03228 3TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.5" looks like a good drive, as for the HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" - I'm not sure if the specs are over-kill for the NAS. That is, will you see any performance increase with a 32mb cache when the bottleneck will be the ethernet connection?