Purchasing at Apple store with FAN... but on secondary line of family plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cobra2001, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted yet so here it goes...

My question is if anyone was able to successfully purchase an iPhone on a secondary line of a family plan at an Apple store with a FAN discount still intact on their family plan?

My wife and I are on a family plan together and she is listed as the primary line. So when I go to the Apple store to get an iPhone on my line (secondary) I shouldn't have a problem right? With the FAN voice discount I'm receiving, it's currently only being applied to her $59.99 part of our family plan. So am I safe to believe that I shouldn't have any issues?

I was just wondering if anyone had a similar situation and was able to make it in and out of the Apple store without a problem. I'm aware that many have removed their FAN discount, then gone to the Apple store, and then added it back on later but I would prefer not to do that. Besides I think most people that needed to do that were on a single line plan and had no other choice to remove all traces of the FAN discount.

Thanks and I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Cobra2001

2. werkedm3 macrumors member

If there is any type of discount on your account, even the main line, apple will see the error. You can either call 611 and have them temporarily remove it, or go through AT&T

3. Cobra2001 thread starter macrumors regular

Right, thanks. I guess I was just hoping that the process for a family plan was different and if anyone had had any luck personally with the method I described. Thanks again.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Just to be very clear, the FAN is attached to the account and not to the primary line or any other lines on the account. The system that Apple is using is unable to work with any Account that has a FAN attached. :apple:

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The others are correct, if the account at all has it, you'll get denied. You need to remove the discount. And depending on what time of discount you get, make sure they remove FAN and IRU. Some people got stuck with an IRU error even after having their FAN removed and couldn't buy the phone at an Apple store.

6. Cobra2001 thread starter macrumors regular

All great info! Thanks and it was worth a shot asking anyway;) I'll remove the FAN and IRU before going to the Apple store. I just hope I can put the FAN back on right away. The customer service rep at at&t that I talked to today said it could take up to two billing cycles. I'd hate to go that long with out my discount.