Purchasing AT&T iPhone5 at $849

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ams23, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ams23 macrumors newbie

Quick question:

I am considering purchasing the iPhone 5 but my contract for my iPhone 4S is not up according to AT&T. I find this hard to believe since I purchased the 4S 64 Gb version on Oct 7, 2011 for $749 -- in other words, no subsidy.

Am I right in assuming that I can both unlock my 4S and also am entitled to unlocking a potential iPhone 5 if I purchase it at $849?

Totally confused...and hoping for some clarification

Thanks!!

2. menist macrumors regular

menist

What happen last year? Were you eligible to upgraded?

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I called an AT&T retail store today and they said if I buy an iPhone 5 at the full no commitment price I could call customer service and have them unlock the phone free of charge.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If paying full retail just buy unlocked. And yes, your 4s should be unlocked. Submit a request via the website (search for thread on subject in this forum).

Also, ask AT&T the details of when/why they extended your contract. Are you sure you're still not done with a 2 year contract from 2010?

5. ams23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Last year, they said I was not eligible but I think somehow they reset my contract after activating the 4s. It is just so painful to deal with them over the phone... Perhaps I will go to a store to talk face to face with someone. Is there somewhere on their website that's lists your contract dates or changes? Can't seem to find it...

6. ams23 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm...so apparently i did get a discount on the iphone 4s and paid $649 for a 64gb version. i looked up my contract (which is not the easiest thing to find on their webpage) and it runs until 10/2013. so am i right in assuming that if i activate my iPhone 5, i will be under contract still until that time next year. i will then be able to unlock my iphone 5, but will be able to unlock my 4s immediately after activating my new phone?
    thanks for all the help and sorting through the confusion...

7. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

If you're locked into this contract either way, and are willing to pay full price for the 5, there is no reason IMO that you shouldn't just buy it already unlocked from Apple.

8. ams23 thread starter macrumors newbie

but isn't the full price $849 for the 64gb the price for the unlocked version regardless? that's what i'm unclear on...if i activate this phone on at&t, then i am locked in until 10/2013 per my current contract even if i paid the full retail/unsubsidized price?