Purchasing Contract-Free/Unlocked Phone On Launch Day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McBeats, Sep 18, 2013.

1. McBeats macrumors 6502a

Hey everybody! Sorry for a potentially stupid question, but I never purchased one without a contract before. Mods, feel free to lock the thread and direct me to another piece of info that answers this.

I'm curious as to Apple stores having contract-free unlocked phones at the apple store on launch day? Or do they usually only have carrier-locked subsidized phones?

Additional question: If that is true, do carriers like AT&T also sell contract-free/unlocked phones on launch day?

2. heifetz7 macrumors member

I believe you can order the unlocked GSM phone directly from apple. It says Tmobile on the main page, but it works with any GSM service including AT&T. My question is, is there a way to buy the CDMA unlocked phone? Does the CDMA unlocked phone work with GSM as well?

3. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

All Verizon CDMA phones will be unlocked to work on any SIM network, but not vice versa. There's some bogus Verizon rule saying that they will only support phones where the IMEI is matched to their network, meaning you have to buy a phone that specifically says Verizon. So while you can buy a Verizon iPhone and use it on ATT or Tmobile, you can't do it the other way around. But Apple won't sell a full price Verizon phone, they only sell it under contract. You'll have to buy it directly from Verizon.

Forget about Sprint, that's a different model altogether.

4. vegastime macrumors regular

Are you sure about this?

I bought a full price Verizon iPhone 5 last year from Apple online.

5. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

I purchased a full price Verizon iPhone 5 last year in store from Apple.

Does anyone know if this will be available this year as well for the 5s?

6. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Yeah...this is not true. I bought an iPhone 5 for Verizon full price at the Apple Store last year.

----------

I called Apple and they said yes, I could buy a Verizon iPhone 5s for full price. They will activate it on Verizon's network in the store before you leave.

7. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

well that option is not exactly on the online store is it? It must be an apple retail store only thing.

8. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

Called the nearby Apple Store as well, they confirmed this to be true. Verizon 5s will be available for full price purchase without an upgrade.

9. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

Thanks for this idea. I just assumed that Apple would not sell a full-priced Verizon iPhone since that option is not available on their website. I just called my Apple Store too, and without hesitating, he assured me that I could do this too. That is great news for those of us trying to upgrade to the new 5s and keep our unlimited data plan. :D

10. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

What network do you plan on using it with to keep your unlimited data plan?

11. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

I plan on sticking with Verizon. That's why I need the Verizon phone. Why? You know something I don't?

12. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

No just wondering because I have AT&T and am trying to get an unlocked phone...

13. Col Ronson, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

there's not really a clear cut answer on this. Apple stores ive called said they will have Tmobile iPhones, but they are not sure if those are locked or unlocked.

yet all the tmobile phones on the online store are unlocked, so it stands to reason the same ones in store would be unlocked too, and simply come with a tmobile sim.

worse case, you get one, its locked, return it.

-----------------
    EDIT:

i just realized something. All the Verizon iPhones are SIM unlocked lol. So if you truly want to get an unlocked phone and not risk any problems, buy the Verizon version full price, and be on your merry way.

14. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Ok so I want to get the CDMA version of model A1533? And that will work just the same on AT&T as the GSM version of A1533?

15. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

I posted this in another thread, could be useful here as well.