Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pectin232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Is it difficult to change the base memory [4gb] of the new 27 inch imacs? buying from Apple or OWC better? Speed of memory ..... can I buy faster memory than rated ones or it does not matter?

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Is it difficult to change the base memory [4gb] of the new 27 inch imacs? buying from Apple or OWC better? Speed of memory ..... can I buy faster memory than rated ones or it does not matter?

Do not buy from Apple, if you want the original memories that come with the computer buy the Samsung ones from OWC. And its a very easy change. :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Do not buy from Apple, if you want the original memories that come with the computer buy the Samsung ones from OWC. And its a very easy change. :)

This can't be stressed enough: The cost of memory from Apple is absolutely horrendous compared to 3rd party providers. Personally I've always used Crucial memory and never had a problem at all with it.

As an example, Apple want $600 to go from 4GB to 16GB on a base 27" iMac (so that's just for 12GB). 16GB of memory for that machine from Crucial will cost just $259.99 if using 8GB DIMMs (less than half the price) or just over $90 if using 4GB ones

Upgrading the memory on the iMac is very easy: There's an access door that you unscrew then just pull on the tabs to release the old memory, slot the new memory in, push it in place and screw the cover back on

Last edited:

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
As an example, Apple want $600 to go from 4GB to 16GB on a base 27" iMac (so that's just for 12GB). 16GB of memory for that machine from Crucial will cost just $259.99 (less than half the price)
Are you sure? I just bought 8GB from Crucial to upgrade my 27", and it was less than £35, including 20% VAT. Yours sounds very expensive.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Are you sure? I just bought 8GB from Crucial to upgrade my 27", and it was less than £35, including 20% VAT. Yours sounds very expensive.

Sorry, you're right - that price was for 2x8GB DIMMs which isn't a fair comparison: I've edited my original post to make that clearer. Thanks!

4x4GB DIMMs would cost just over $90 ($45.99 for 2 DIMMs), which makes the Apple price even more outrageous (seeing as they charge $600 for 4x4GB DIMMs)

Another way to look at it is Apple charge $150 for a 4GB DIMM and Crucial charge $22.99 for one!

pectin232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Is it worth getting 32gb memory for the iMac as I thought if since the price is really low now.... should get it. Never know when the price might jump due to ....flood, fire, etc etc...like what happened in Thailand. Anyone knows of what 8gb x 4 works well for the iMac?

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Is it worth getting 32gb memory for the iMac as I thought if since the price is really low now.... should get it. Never know when the price might jump due to ....flood, fire, etc etc...like what happened in Thailand. Anyone knows of what 8gb x 4 works well for the iMac?

Depends on what you use the iMac for.......so what do you do with your iMac?

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
16GB is the official maximum for the 27". Buying 32GB, while it does apparently work, would cost as much as the whole machine. 8GB modules are pretty pricey.

pectin232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I also use G.Skill and love it

The price is good but that is for 8GB in 4gb configurations.... but if I want to get 32gb I need 8GB per module. I think 32gb is still high for now...unless it is cheap. I want to use it for managing huge catalog of high res photos and video editing.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
The price is good but that is for 8GB in 4gb configurations.... but if I want to get 32gb I need 8GB per module. I think 32gb is still high for now...unless it is cheap. I want to use it for managing huge catalog of high res photos and video editing.

Depending on what you do - 32 GB RAM helps very few people

DaveLicky

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
Hello all, newbie here...

I'm guessing upgrading RAM through a non-Apple source invalidates warranty? Or is there a way to do it that can't be detected?

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
For warranty reasons though always keep the original Ram and reinstall it if you have to return the Mac. (That way they can't blame your 3rd party ram for any faults)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
16GB is the official maximum for the 27". Buying 32GB, while it does apparently work, would cost as much as the whole machine. 8GB modules are pretty pricey.

That was true at the beginning of last year and no longer replies. The prices have dropped quite dramatically.

Montague Films

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
Wow, this is huge to know. I plan on purchasing a 27" iMac in a couple weeks and you guys just saved me a few hundred bucks!

So, If I buy the iMac with the 4GB of RAM, what do i need to buy from Crucial.com or another site to upgrade, 2 of the 8GB kits (4GB x 2) or 4 of the 4GB kits (2GB x 2)?

Sorry for the noobish sounding question, but I don't want to screw this up on a $3000 machine.

Thanks.

Scott

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
So, If I buy the iMac with the 4GB of RAM, what do i need to buy from Crucial.com or another site to upgrade, 2 of the 8GB kits (4GB x 2) or 4 of the 4GB kits (2GB x 2)?

Depends on how much total RAM you want. If you buy the single 2x4GB kit which is cheap - you can pair it with the stock 2x2GB for a total of 12GB which is plenty for most people. The iMac has total 4 RAM slots of which 2 are occupied - it can officially support up to 16GB RAM with 4x4GB sticks. Unofficially that can be 4x8GB = 32GB.

Montague Films

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
Depends on how much total RAM you want. If you buy the single 2x4GB kit which is cheap - you can pair it with the stock 2x2GB for a total of 12GB which is plenty for most people. The iMac has total 4 RAM slots of which 2 are occupied - it can officially support up to 16GB RAM with 4x4GB sticks. Unofficially that can be 4x8GB = 32GB.

Great, thank you for the quick response, I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.