Purchasing the iPhone 5 under a phone line that is not mine...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheU2RoKKeR, Sep 13, 2012.

1. TheU2RoKKeR macrumors newbie

I've got a question that I hope some of you can answer. I plan on purchasing the iPhone 5 tomorrow under a line that is not mine. This person is eligible for an upgrade, but does not require a new phone. I plan to use their upgrade eligibility to purchase the iPhone 5 at the discounted price, and then use the phone as my own.

I already contacted AT&T about doing this and they said I could. However, with the new SIM card format, this obviously requires more than switching SIMs. Will I be able to activate the phone under my phone number in the iTunes setup? Or will I need to go to an AT&T store to get the phone activated for my number?

Thanks, and if this isn't clear I can try to explain it more clearly.

2. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

if they are in your family plan then yes....and you just preorder/buy the iphone 5 on their line, then take it in the att store for a device swap

if not in your family plan, then i think its still the same

3. TheU2RoKKeR thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Baldilocks macrumors member

You don't even have to go into AT&T. Just call 611 before you activate and have them associate that new SIM with your number. They can do all of that over the phone.

5. Wise87 macrumors 6502

I plan on doing the same thing. Friend of mine doesn't want a iPhone 5 so there going to let me order one under there account. When it arrives I take it to the ATT store and get a new sim and have it programed against my line. We did this 6 months ago when my friend damaged there phone and I gave them my upgrade. So there returning the favor.

6. ddoneff macrumors newbie

I have 4 lines, and only one eligible for upgrade. If I bought the phone under that number, since I'm old ATT customer with unlimited plan, will I be able to keep my unlimited plan when I do phone swap ?

7. marcello696 macrumors regular

I am planning on doing the same, my wife gets the 4S and I'm using her upgrade to get the iPhone 5. We are both on unlimited so I dont see how either of us would lose it by swapping phones.

8. rxtiger macrumors member

...and does it make a difference where you order it? Looking back at the problems people had with the 4S launch with upgrade swap, it appeared to be advantageous to use AT&T due to the way Apple encoded the SIM at the time of order to protect against unauthorized activation.

9. ddoneff macrumors newbie

My concern is that my 4th line is just a simple voice line, no data plan on it. I guess they will not activate the data plan until the phone is actually in use. However, I'm not 100% sure what is going to happen, I can always cancel the line I guess, any thoughts?

10. marcello696 macrumors regular

you'll have to get a data plan when you preorder but once you activate the iPhone 5 on your line that should cancel the new data plan since you never activated it on your 4th line.

11. skywavesli macrumors regular

skywavesli

I've done the upgrade swaps in the past, and always bought through Apple without any problems.

However, with the new SIM maybe it is advantageous to buy through AT&T if doing the upgrade swap?

Anyone else know something about it?

Thanks!

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Okay, you are doing what others have asked about, almost every hour lately.

Your friend will upgrade their phone. Then switch phones with you so that you have their new phone. does not matter if they use your old phone or their old phone. Will work.

They now have a 2 year contract with ATT (not you). They can not get discounted upgrades for 2 years. They can not cancel without fees for 2 years.

But, it will work.

13. thebadgator87 macrumors member

i want to open up a new line so i can do this on my account without having to pay the $250 extra each year. can anyone explain to me how i would go about doing this for only an extra $10 a month?

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'm doing the same thing on Verizon, I plan on calling them and doing it all OTA.