Purchasing Verizon Iphone 5s while keeping unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 0r30, Sep 21, 2013.

1. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I'm trying to find out where it would be the most adequate place to purchase the phone while still keeping my unlimited plan. The phone will be purchased at full retail.

I was thinking of the apple store but have heard of people being pushed over to a tier data plan..is this true??

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Why would they push you off your unlimited plan? You are just changing g phones. I have upgraded many times at ATT and they have always move my unlimited plan with it.

3. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Verizon pushes you off of unlimited when you from 3G to LTE.

4. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

This is all assuming you're upgrading from a previous LTE phone.

If you buy in person at the Apple Store you won't have a problem. There doesn't appear to be a way to keep your unlimited data plan if you buy from Apple's online store. If you want to buy online, buy from Verizon's site (assuming you have a VZW plan). That's what I did and my unlimited data plan stayed unchanged.

5. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

They should be ashamed!:eek:

6. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

No they don't.

7. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

They won't push you off unlimited data for going from 3G to lte.

8. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

I've spoken to numerous agents using their online tool and they all give me the same response. Here is a chat dialogue:

Me: i recently transfered my upgrade to my mom's line (i'm on unlimited data). My mom's line is on 2gb tiered plan. if i activate it on my mom's line will it get rid of my unlimited?

Agent: No. Not at all. If you activate it on your line you still have your unlimited data plan also/

Are you upgrading online today?

Me: no. I already transferred it online yesterday.

So what should I do when the phone comes in to transfer it to my line?

Agent: Activate the device on the line you want it on

Me: So I don't need to activate it on my mom's line first?

Agent: No. You can just activate it on your line.

Me: so just directly activate it on my line (unlimited) and it should be fine?

Agent: Yes

TLDR: If you visit most verizon stores they will say this isn't possible (they told me this yesterday). Go through the online transfer tools to bypass the morons.

9. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

10. 0r30 thread starter macrumors 6502

0r30

I just went from a Iphone4 3g to a thunderbolt lte and was able to keep my unlimited data. What I did was purchase a thunderbolt 4g lte and a new sim for the phone on ebay around $60.00 for all. Then did a chat online with a rep and first verified I would be keeping my unlimited plan she said I would be keeping it then I gave her the MEID and the sim card number.

Keep in mind I told her several times "I will still have my unlimited data plan correct?" every time her response was "correct"

11. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

That's the important part. You didn't buy it subsidized. They kick you off unlimited if you buy the phone subsidized from them.

12. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

13. PacificBeach macrumors regular

U can keep unlimited data if you do the 12 payment plan option with VZW. It's not to be confused with VZW Edge plan. It's called the 12 month payment plan

Problem is most VZW reps are not properly trained or education so have no clue
    And u must "qualify for this plan, meaning no late payment in last 6 months

14. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Maybe you got a good salesperson. I'm just telling you what the rules say.

15. mlblacy macrumors 6502

works... I did it.

Follow the Reddit link posted elsewhere in this forum today.
    If you are on a family plan and have an eligible upgrade on another phone, and yours has unlimited currently, it can be done (option 4 on the Reddit link).
    You have to activate it on the other line and THEN transfer it over to your line. Otherwise you will lose the unlimited data. Happened to me... I went to the store and the rep did it wrong, had to call today to get it reinstated. It took 15 mins, but it was fixed.