Purity Balls: Creepy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, Nov 12, 2011.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The NY Times has been doing these photo essays for a while, where they include a picture of some people and a paragraph from the subjects about the circumstances, events, thoughts and emotions of the even. There are some really interesting and thought-provoking ones (you can click through all of them at the link), and I really like the format, but this week's really gave me the creeps—perhaps that was the idea:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/11/13/magazine/a-purity-ball.html?ref=magazine
    There are some really weird people in this country. [​IMG]

2. chrono1081, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I've read through the entire Bible probably 12 or so times, not once do I remember anything saying "no sex before marriage". And yes, this is creepy. No one should be worrying about another persons sexual encounters or making a deal about it whether its celebratory or derogatory (unless its something like a crime obviously).

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Am I the only one who finds this father downright terrifying?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Purity is such a weird concept. It implies that having sex outside of marriage isn't pure. Why? I just don't get it

Mind control I say

5. KeriJane, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

No.

(That means I'm terrified too.)

6. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

His preoccupation with his daughters' sexual innocence, and in particular their attitudes towards him (god put him at the head of the household etc) are incredibly disturbing.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- most definitely. None of any of that is even remotely OK.

8. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

There's a massive amount of brainwashing going on, but you're not supposed criticize it because it's religion.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yes, and all religion should be respected because....

10. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

How is that not okay?

Don't you believe that parents are in control of their children? It shouldn't be too crazy of an idea. If God is real then he set up a way for things to work, the father is head of the family. The kids should be respectful to him. It doesn't mean it's incest or anything.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is why I don't like religion. I am a Christian, and I am spiritual, but I am not religious. Religion only poisons peoples minds, is used to spread hate, and makes them think things like the above article are OK.

I can't tell you how many times when I was younger I heard the "no sex before marriage, it says so in the Bible" line of BS. Guess what, its not in there, so why is this always being brought up as an issue?

EDIT: Oh, and I give those girls until they get to college, then they won't be so "pure" I'm sure.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So it's ok for the father to be his daughter's vaginal gatekeeper until she's married?

----------

So what is it exactly that makes you a christian then?

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I believe in God, Jesus and read my Bible and say my prayers. Not affiliating myself with any religion is great as I can easily see through the BS that churches spew (like no sex before marriage, and that homosexuality is a sin, things like that).

I know that last statement just potentially opened a can of worms so I won't say anymore.

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

But believing in jesus IS affiliating yourself with a religion. I'm not criticizing, I'm just trying to understand your viewpoint.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You can separate religion from church

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I understand and you are right. I throw the term religion around too loosely. When I say I'm not religious I really mean that I don't affiliate myself with things like marriage ceremonies, rosary beads, churches that believe in different things that aren't in scripture (I wont go into detail in order to avoid offending anyone but I'm sure you can think of some examples).

Churches also in my opinion focus on the little stuff (or the criticizing of others) and miss the main message of the Bible, hence why I don't go to church.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Fine, at that time of their life it will be their choice.

I am just glad I don't have children in this World, particularly daughters.

A friend has 2, and new boyfriends were always met at the door, with him brandishing a base-ball bat. The conversion was somewhat one-sided.

"So, you want to **** my daughter?? Give me one good reason why I shouldn't just kill you right now??"

The answer was the metal test for that kid.

Nothing wrong with being chaste as a young teen-age girl, although it's not easy today. Peer pressure, boys demanding to get-off with them, etc.

And this really has little to do with Religion, and everything to do with personal choice.

18. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Ah i gotcha, that clarifies it a bit.

19. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

So, if god exists as these people believe, his way for things to work is that people must absolutely wait for marriage to have sex, yet at the same time be able to think of little else from the age of twelve onwards? Sick sense of humor he's got there.

I know this to be true, in some cases at least, from personal experience. ;)

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Two really scary thoughts:

These pitiful morons are the future of of America.

Soon, they will be permitted to vote. :( :(

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

To be fair people did used to get married at 12, modern marrying age was created by humans. ;)

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The parents are the head of the family. Father and mother. Father and father. Mother and mother. Only time to use a singular noun is if the other parent died or left the family.

And god is not real, so...

23. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Oh, because the girls aren't horny? Everyone must have been crazy when I was young then. :p

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If a girl is horny, she's a whore. :rolleyes:

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I heard this story on the radio a year or two ago. Hard to decide whether it is creepier in audio or with pictures.

Here is the keyword. Remember the surveys from the deep South, where the kids pledged chastity until marriage? To them, the hymen was the crucial thing. BJs, the hershey highway, all of that other stuff was ok, just as long as that little flap of skin remained intact. "Chastity" turned out to be more dangerous to kids' health than promiscuity.

(Or Chastity turned out to be Chaz.)