Purple color is normal with iphone5 ?

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
guys,

i see some purple spots ( near bright light source ) , is that normal ? may be an IOS bug ? or hardware issue ?
should i get it changed ?

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Yes its normal, you can completely eliminate the purple by moving the camera a few milimeters down or up from the light source, just a tiny bit of adjustment is needed to completly eliminate it in your photos

Comment

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
It's normal with all cameras depending on where you are aiming them.
Lens flare happens with all cameras, but the 5 has a much higher propensity for lens flare than the previous iPhones and it is purple rather than the typical yellow or white light. With my 4S I have to work hard to get even the smallest lens flare to appear.

Comment

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Lens flare happens with all cameras, but the 5 has a much higher propensity for lens flare than the previous iPhones and it is purple rather than the typical yellow or white light. With my 4S I have to work hard to get even the smallest lens flare to appear.
I've found that the purple flare is not exclusive to the 5 though.

From my 4S:

But also on my 4S, I'm able to angle it to more of a white flare:

I really think it's dependent on the placement of the sun, intensity of the light and if and where there are clouds.

Anyways, easily avoided by taking a couple of other shots if you don't like the flare.

Comment

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Same think with the i5.

Into the sun

Shade the lens

This was my "lens shade" in the second image.

[/url

Comment

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Lens flares will always happen...the color is caused by the coating they use. All lenses use different types of coating. Some will flare purple, some green, some red. The sapphire coating apparently flares more magenta (guess its appropriately named).

Comment

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
You can just use your hand to shield the camera as needed.
I know, but I was bored and messing about waiting for someone to finish an appointment ;).

----------

Lens flares will always happen...the color is caused by the coating they use. All lenses use different types of coating. Some will flare purple, some green.
Same time I took my 2 pictures in my first post, I took some photos with a Samsung Galaxy S2 ( to take the "lens hood" photo).

This is lens flare I got from the S2.

Comment

Mr.Grey

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
USA
Spend less time complaining on the interent and more time learnging to properly compse your photos.
What kind of f*cked up comment is this? Here's a person who obviously doesn't waste his time on the Internet all day, then comes here to ask a genuine question, and you have to be a total dick to him. Very nice. Why don't you learn some manners and look up the word compassion. It might make you a better person, though I doubt it.

To the OP. if you find that most or all of your photos exhibit that purple flare I would make a genius appointment and at least see what they have to say about it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. If you're going to berate someone at least spell correctly. Otherwise it makes you look even dumber.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.