Push email issues with iPhone 5, Verizon replacing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneBangla, Sep 26, 2012.

1. iPhoneBangla macrumors member

white IP5 on Verizon, had internet issues till a full restore and had to setup as new. Then push email not working for both exchange and iCloud, troubleshooted with Apple and Verizon, finally Verizon sending replacement, but had to pay again for replacement till I return defective one. Rep trying to expedite shipment of replacement.
    Anyone else with this problem?

2. kelleybp macrumors member

Unfortunately yes, and it appears to be pretty widespread on the Apple help forums. And, I don't think it's limited to Verizon.

Mine worked fine at first, but yesterday this cropped up out of nowhere. I can still get mail by opening the app, but push is non-existent. I've tried deleting and re-adding exchange accounts, resetting network settings, restoring from iCloud, restoring from computer, and finally this morning I set up as a new iPhone (a HUGE pain). Nothing has worked.

If I switch into airplane mode, push will work for a very short period (usually less than 30 minutes), then its broken again.

3. iPhoneBangla thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I am glad I am not the only one. I spent hours with Apple and Verizon, Verizon finally decided to send me replacement. Now it sounds like its a software issue. Funny, no one here posted or Apple tech support did not say anything. Do you know where to look up in Apple forums.

4. CBlake82 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as well. I didn't realize it until I read another thread about the issue, especialy since my main email address is a yahoo account and never pushed anyway. Now my iCloud and Gmail accounts aren't pushing at all. I'm waiting on a hardware replacement now.

5. iRegis77 macrumors newbie

6. iPhoneBangla thread starter macrumors member

Waiting for new phone as well, Verizon was very nice and overnighting the phone. Issue was escalated at Apple yesterday, and I got email from Apple asking about specific issues. This is software related from what it seems, and I hope that a fix is on its way

7. AAShepAA macrumors newbie

Same issues w/push mail on Verizon!

Same here folks! Tried every "fix" there is with very limited results. Will work for a while - then quits. Same with my and my wife's phone. I am pretty sure that a new phone won't fix this. The fact that "airplane mode" will fix it temporarily would indicate to me that some setting is not "sticking".

Last night as a last resort I completely reset my phone only to have the same limited results - worked for a while then nothing. Disappointing to say the least.

One of my sons on AT&T bought 2 i5's and he has no problems. Another son bought 2 i5's with Sprint - no problems with push! I must say - I didn't expect this from Apple!

It would just be nice of someone would own-up to the problem and at least let us know they are working on a fix!

8. kelleybp macrumors member

Another issue I have noticed is that, when push does work, oftentimes the previews on the alerts and lock screen just say "Loading . . ."

Switching back and forth from Airplane mode seem to fix this as well. Long story short the mail app or some setting is pretty buggy. Having said all that, mine has been working perfectly fine for the past 24 hours or so. Hope I don't jinx it.

9. iPhoneBangla thread starter macrumors member

What did you do to fix it. I got my replacement and also the second one i ordered today, will setup as new. Any advice on what to avoid

----------

Also, Apple Engineers scheduled to call me this evening, they want troubleshoot over the phone and want me to setup one their email accounts on my phone to make sure its not my email account that is causing trouble. Told them to check Apple forums for the n umber of people having same problem

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure it's not working on my phone either. Fortunately, I don't rely on my phone for my *important* emails and I generally "wake" the phone frequently to do something which forces a poll for new emails.

Sounds software related just by virtue of the issue. I would have hoped Apple would have caught something as important as this however I see first hand every day how "big things" slip through "little cracks"

11. iPhoneBangla thread starter macrumors member

So, I set up the replacement iPhone as new from scratch, push email works fine for Icloud but not exchange. However this is not the case for my 4s on ios 6, so it seems, the issue is IP5 related.

12. caesarp macrumors 6502a

ios 6 AND iphone 5 related. Has to do with EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) and push email. This will require an ios 6 fix though. See this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4345374?start=0&tstart=0

----------

Here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4345374?start=0&tstart=0

13. kelleybp macrumors member

Mine is back to not working for push e-mails. Verizon settings update did nothing to help.

14. iPhoneBangla thread starter macrumors member

Saw your post on the Apple forums. Hope Apple comes up with something soon. On my end, problem has been isolated to Exchange push and not icloud

15. kelleybp macrumors member

Yeah, my Gmail is set up as an Exchange account (through m.google.com) and pushes just fine. My corporate exchange server, which I believe is a 2007 server, does not work for push -- it will only fetch when I open the mail app.