Push notifications not working on my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ReflexReact, Jul 30, 2010.

1. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

Both mail and Facebook don't seem to work. Both are enabled for push notifications in the settings, however the actual notification is often hours late; or doesn't come at all. This is in my house, where I've got full wifi strength.

Can anyone suggest how I may fix this? Or may it be a faulty phone? I've tried reseting all settings... Maybe I should do a restore?

2. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

You say push notifications are enabled for both, but you do know that they are two seperate things, right? Push is for email and notifications are for apps such as Facebook. Go to settings/notifications/on/facebook and make sure that sounds/alerts/badges are on. For email, go to settings/mail, contacts, calendars/fetch new data/push/on. If these settings are enabled and it still does not work, it could be an issue with your internet service.

3. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

This has been happening to me since I updated to ios 4... If you open up the app switcher, then remove mail from the dock, your notifications should work again. At least mine does. Also try shutting down and restarting your phone occasionally. It seems to work as well. I'm hoping this is addressed in 4.1.

4. glasspro macrumors newbie

push will not work for iphone 4

what a pos phone. Hey dont even call chris at customer service---he wont call you back. NO ONE WILL HELP ME, Phone 40days in use, 10 days push worked but no more. Thanks Apple for really NOT giving a *****

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would not help you either!:mad:

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

facebook notifications dont work on the best of days, thats not your phone its a crappy notification system

7. Pennine macrumors 6502

My Facebook notifications don't work but they work with Boxcar which is strange

8. dydx314 macrumors newbie

:::SOLVED::: iPhone 5, 4s and 4 iOS 6 - Facebook push notifications

This is not a jailbrake solution or alteration to any default software. This is using the factory settings to turn this feature on so that your Facebook push notifications will work on iOS 6.

I solved this on my iPhone 5. It would work for 4 and 4s as well. I think this will work for the iPad’s too. So go through the steps and try it out.

First make sure this is done so that you can go on to the actual solution. Facebook push notifications are controlled inside the actual Facebook app under “Account Settings>Notifications”. They are NOT controlled under the iOS “Settings>Facebook>Settings>Notifications”, if you go there you will be directed to the actual Facebook app.

Now it’s time for the solution to the problem. There is one more step that you need to do that doesn’t turn on by default for some reason.

STEPS:

1. This starts from your iOS device home screen

2. “Settings”

3. “Notifications”

4. “Facebook”

5. Turn on the “Notification Center” – required to have the push notifications work

6. Under “Alert Style” by default this is set to “None” for some reason. So, turn this to the style you want.

7. Turn on the “Badge App Icon” – if you want to, this will display the number of new notifications on the Facebook icon, just like it does on your Messages app when you have a new text message

8. Turn on “Sounds” – if you want to, this will play a sound when a new Facebook notification comes in

Well that is it! I hope you enjoy receiving your Facebook push notifications on your iOS 6 device now.

Peter Taylor – Ames, IA

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I haven't received a SOUND notification for months now; neither iOS 5.1 or 6 on iPhone 4 or 5. This does nothing to fix it.