Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
I just found the "Ignore Forums" controls and turned off PRSI. Just having those thread titles cleared out of the Latest Replies panel is going to save me a small fortune in hypertension meds.

Every now and then though there's a news story that gets thrown into PRSI because there's a trigger word in there or something that you think is going to set off the wingnuts.

Could you create a separate forum or tag or something that has all the rules of PRSI, but isn't PRSI and that only MR staff can create threads in where you can post these particular news stories? Then I can still see stories about Apple's stand on encryption but don't have to keep seeing threads about which candidate is more grotesque.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Analog, but comments on PRSI topics will still show up in the 'Latest Replies' section, even when you've got it blocked. :(

However if memory serves, MR articles that are PRSI will still show up in the 'New Threads' section, whilst other PRSI rubbish will be blocked. https://forums.macrumors.com/new-threads/

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Analog, but comments on PRSI topics will still show up in the 'Latest Replies' section, even when you've got it blocked. :(

However if memory serves, MR articles that are PRSI will still show up in the 'New Threads' section, whilst other PRSI rubbish will be blocked. https://forums.macrumors.com/new-threads/
Oh no... You're right! I managed to delude myself by making the change after most of the US was asleep... I mistook the relative peace as a feature rather than coincidence...

I like the latest replies feature because it lets me see what people are talking about, but nobody's talking about anything on PRSI. It's hard to have a meaningful conversation anywhere on this site anymore, but the couple times I've ventured into PRSI it's been pointless. Mostly it's just people shouting boilerplate at each other, punctuated with intentionally misspelled proper nouns.

We need a way to each individually shut off PRSI so we can try to forget it's there and return to normal life. The whole purpose of that forum is to put a fence around the crazies, but what's the point if we need to listen to them wail all day anyway?

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
We need a way to each individually shut off PRSI so we can try to forget it's there and return to normal life. The whole point of that forum is to put a fence around the crazies, but what's the point if we all need to listen to them wail all day anyway?

Yep. I completely sympathise.

@arn: is this something you would consider implementing in future (blocking PRSI from 'Latest Replies')?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

Only a few threads are shown in the small Latest Replies box. Have you thought about using New Posts or Spy to keep up with new posts because you can block PRSI content from appearing in those sections.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Only a few threads are shown in the small Latest Replies box. Have you thought about using New Posts or Spy to keep up with new posts because you can block PRSI content from appearing in those sections.

Once again Olly, your intimate knowledge of this forum puts me to shame. It's a wonder I even get around without bumping into things. :)

Thank you for your continued patience, as ever. What you've suggested is very good advice and much better for what the OP wants.

I'll also hold off on tagging Arn every time I find myself scratching my head. Poor guy must be sick of me.

Reactions: OllyW

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah, but Latest Replies is convenient. Typically I go to MR, read the front page, then click "Forums" to log in and see if I have any notifications. New Posts and Spy requires more clicks...

Mostly I just want PRSI banished from my field of view when I click the "ignore" checkbox. The entire internet has become a cesspool as the election gets closer and MR would be a welcome place to hide it.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Mostly I just want PRSI banished from my field of view when I click the "ignore" checkbox. The entire internet has become a cesspool as the election gets closer and MR would be a welcome place to hide it.
I totally agree with you about PRSI and I've also got the forum set to be ignored. I've no idea if it's possible to get rid of the PRSI posts from the latest replies box so I just was offering a couple of solutions which would shield you from the rubbish that's posted there.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
I totally agree with you about PRSI and I've also got the forum set to be ignored. I've no idea if it's possible to get rid of the PRSI posts from the latest replies box so I just was offering a couple of solutions which would shield you from the rubbish that's posted there.
Yeah, understood. Since you had that little "staff" tag under your name, I hoped maybe you knew a guy who knew a guy...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.