Putin ally tells Americans: vote Trump or face nuclear war

IronWaffle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Break out the tinfoil hats, folks. [For excellent context, read this post below]

Per Reuters (much longer source article plus audio/video here):

By Andrew Osborn | MOSCOW

Americans should vote for Donald Trump as president next month or risk being dragged into a nuclear war, according to a Russian ultra-nationalist ally of President Vladimir Putin who likes to compare himself to the U.S. Republican candidate.

Vladimir Zhirinovsky, a flamboyant veteran lawmaker known for his fiery rhetoric, told Reuters in an interview that Trump was the only person able to de-escalate dangerous tensions between Moscow and Washington.

By contrast, Trump's Democratic rival Hillary Clinton could spark World War Three, said Zhirinovsky, who received a top state award from Putin after his pro-Kremlin Liberal Democratic Party of Russia (LDPR) came third in Russia's parliamentary election last month.

Many Russians regard Zhirinovsky as a clownish figure who makes outspoken statements to grab attention but he is also widely viewed as a faithful servant of Kremlin policy, sometimes used to float radical opinions to test public reaction.

"Relations between Russia and the United States can't get any worse. The only way they can get worse is if a war starts," said Zhirinovsky, speaking in his huge office on the 10th floor of Russia's State Duma, or lower house of parliament.

"Americans voting for a president on Nov. 8 must realize that they are voting for peace on Planet Earth if they vote for Trump. But if they vote for Hillary it's war. It will be a short movie. There will be Hiroshimas and Nagasakis everywhere."

[...]

His combative style, reminiscent of Trump's, ensures him plenty of television air time and millions of votes in Russian elections, often from the kind of blue-collar workers who are the bedrock of the U.S. Republican candidate's support.

Zhirinovsky once proposed blocking off mostly Muslim southern Russia with a barbed wire fence, echoing Trump's call for a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.

[...]

Asked about lewd comments Trump made about women in 2005 that have harmed his campaign, Zhirinovsky defended the Republican: "Men all round the world sometimes say such things that are just for their comrades. We must only consider his business (and political) qualities."

Though Putin and Trump have never met, Zhirinovsky said he believed they could establish a close working relationship, adding: "Victory for Trump would be a gift to humanity. But if Hillary Clinton wins it will be the last U.S. president ever."

(Editing by Christian Lowe and Gareth Jones)

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
lol

Besides all the other things which are equally laughable: "We must only consider his business (and political) qualities." Speaks volumes when talking about the (im)possible next president of the US that considerations about his political qualities are just a second thought.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Ah, well, yes.

Vladimir Zhirinovsky. Um, yes. A gentleman who doth protest his masculinity a little much, to my mind.

Er, you do know just what (demographic and electorate) the LDPR actually represents, don't you?

Um, @IronWaffle, I actually know a bit about Russia, and - at this stage - I also have to say that there is hardly a source in the entire US that I would regard as - remotely - credible (or - for that matter - even slightly objective) on that subject.

Now, to the LDPR: In a word, they are fascists, - although the formal title of the party is a splendid piece of misdirection and misrepresentation - (they do call themselves the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, and at least two of those words are stretching the true meaning of those terms close to breaking point) - and they have been the closest thing Russia has to genuine, honest to god, home-grown fascists for nearly two decades.

Basically, they represent the troglodyte fascist vote, the racist, venomous, anti-Semitic, ultra nationalists. Nasty - very nasty - about women, minorities, Jews, LGBT, and those people whose skin is a bit dusky.

As such, and with such a platform, frankly, it should come as little surprise that they should be enthusiastic about Mr Trump.

The party is quite well resourced - as befits one of four parties that currently hold seats in the State Duma - and represents the expression of those deeply unpleasant impulses that most societies prefer to pretend do not exist.

Do bear in mind that Vladimir Zhirinovsky does not represent Russian State positions or policy. His party is not the governing party (that is 'ER' - United Russia).

However, it is entirely possible that he has been persuaded to say these things - knowing that they will be given undue prominence - with a view to messing a bit with a few peoples' heads.

Last edited:

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Trump is the one pushing for peace with Russia in the fight against ISIS and Islamic extremism in general.

Unfortunately, all the Islamic extremists were created by the CIA and funded by Hillary's Middle Eastern donors, such as the Saudis.

IronWaffle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Ah, well, yes.

Vladimir Zhirinovsky. Um, yes. A gentleman who doth protest his masculinity a little much, to my mind.

Er, you do know just what (demographic and electorate) the LDPR actually represents, don't you?

Um, @IronWaffle, I actually know a bit about Russia, and - at this stage - I also have to say that there is hardly a source in the entire US that I would regard as - remotely - credible (or - for that matter - even slightly objective) on that subject.

Now, to the LDPR: In a word, they are fascists, - although the formal title of the party is a splendid piece of misdirection and misrepresentation - (they do call themselves the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, and at least two of those words are stretching the true meaning of those terms close to breaking point)- and they have been the closets thing Russia has to genuine, honest to god, home-grown fascists for nearly two decades.

Basically, they represent the troglodyte fascist vote, the racist, venomous anti-Semitic nationalists. Nasty - very nasty - about women, minorities, Jews, LGBT, and those people whose skin is a bit dusky.

As such, and with such a platform, frankly, it should come as little surprise that they should be enthusiastic about Mr Trump.

The party is quite well resourced - as befits one of four parties that currently hold seats in the State Duma - and represents the expression of those deeply unpleasant impulses that most societies prefer to pretend do not exist.

Do bear in mind that Vladimir Zhirinovsky does not represent Russian State positions or policy. His party is not the governing party (that is 'ER' - United Russia).

However, it is entirely possible that he has been persuaded to say these things - knowing that they will be given undue prominence - with a view to messing a bit with a few peoples' heads.
Thank you for providing greater context. Incredible post. I was aware of some of those broad strokes but not quite to that level.

As a layman, my actual concern about the actual "story" as it is already being reported, of course, isn't how you (who clearly have deep knowledge on the matter) or I (who don't, but fill gaps with multiple sources and a deep sense of skepticism not so unmoored that it slips into unbridled cynicism) perceive the story; rather, it's how this story may penetrate the larger public during one of the ebbs of our current obsession over sex scandal. This is the kind of story that the Trump/Pence campaign can and may use as part of their deflection. True, Pence isn't a fan of Russia but it's well-known that since Putin dangled the shiny keys of a vaguely translated "compliment" in Trump's risible face, Trump has enjoyed commenting about how great it would be if we were, um, comrades with Russia. This can feed his narrative at the basic level he employs his own rhetoric. That's where my own concern is rooted. In terms of actual policy, I suspect based on what I've read in a few places that the statement made in Russia itself has little actual weight, no matter how vile and powerful this man is within the Russian political landscape. Absolutely, I'd defer to you on that, though.

In hindsight, I wish I'd provided more context and done more due diligence in the original post. I may stick to my normal schtick.
[doublepost=1476398711][/doublepost]
Only The Donald is now truly scared.
Scared? Not sure. I bet he's elated. "Only I can keep the world from World War III." Yeesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Seriously doubt there would be any war between Russia and the U.S.

This bozo is merely catering to American fear. Who for and why is up for interpretation.
Obama has cultivated the worst relationship we have had with Russia since the Cold War, they respect Hillary less than Obama.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Awwww, does Putin have a crush on the Donald? I think he does!
Actually, I doubt that he does.

But I do think that he is giggling at the capacity for constitutional and institutional destruction and sheer witless wrecking - within the US - that the selection of Mr Trump by the GOP as a candidate for office - might give rise to.

If I were in his shoes, I'd be helpless with laughter.

I have no doubt if Hillary is president we will see more confrontation with Russia, a war probably wouldn't be out of the question.
Tosh. And tosh that is characteristically deficient in analysis.

Obama has cultivated the worst relationship we have had with Russia since the Cold War, they respect Hillary less than Obama.
Good grief. More tosh.

Do you guys ever think before you hit the keys on your sweet little Apples?

Seriously doubt there would be any war between Russia and the U.S.

This bozo is merely catering to American fear. Who for and why is up for interpretation.
Pretty much what I would think, too.

Mr Zhirinovsky might be used to fly convenient kites that the Kremlin can easily disavow, or, he could be mirroring - by articulating the Russian equivalent of Mr Trump's electoral base - what is being said elsewhere (e.g, in the US).

However, within Russia, Mr Zhirinovsky would not be taken terribly seriously except by the Russian equivalent of the troglodyte fascist vote, those who represent the uber-nationalists.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Scared? I bet he's elated. "Only I can keep the world from World War III." Yeesh.
He's between a rock and a hard place. That's not Putin's party but Putin's willing to let that guy mess with Trump's head. Trump could briefly be elated but then must consider what might be expected of him if he became President and was expected to make good on his now "internationally recognized" ability to avoid World War III via his expertise in dealing peacefully with Russia.

Should it be okay for Russia to adopt Estonia, or should I listen to those bleating
fools in the UN and NATO carry on about sovereignty and all that. Wait, but Estonia
is more or less Russian anyway, right, maybe I can check with Melania. Slovenia,
Estonia, man they all sound the same, I should really do something about that.

Yah so whew, he doesn't have to worry about that since he's not going to win the election.

But then what about Russia, still waiting for Donald to make good on keeping World War III at bay? Well maybe they'd settle for a piece of Donald's business empire. Since they've hacked the thing to a fare-thee-well, they probably know which pieces are still worth a couple rubles.

No. Trust me, Trump's scared. But... maybe he's mostly scared of Hillary. :p

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Actually, I doubt that he does.

But I do think that he is giggling at the capacity for constitutional and institutional destruction and sheer witless wrecking - within the US - that the selection of Mr Trump by the GOP as a candidate for office - might give rise to.

If I were in his shoes, I'd be helpless with laughter.
I was mocking the Australopithecus's homophobia.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Paul Ryan, for one.
Liz, that's because he's too busy putting on his ankle warmers and doing 80s aerobics. I still can't believe he released those pictures during the last election of him exercising. Right up there with Aaron Schock's stupidity.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Liz, that's because he's too busy putting on his ankle warmers and doing 80s aerobics. I still can't believe he released those pictures during the last election of him exercising. Right up there with Aaron Schock's stupidity.
Aye but have ye seen Hillary dancing? They'll make a fine pair at the budget festivals..;)