Putin ally tells Americans: vote Trump or face nuclear war

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IronWaffle, Oct 13, 2016.

1. IronWaffle, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Break out the tinfoil hats, folks. [For excellent context, read this post below]

Per Reuters (much longer source article plus audio/video here):

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

So you think Trump would go to war before Hillary??

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Lmao. What a blowhard.

Mutually assured destruction. That is all.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

5. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

lol

Besides all the other things which are equally laughable: "We must only consider his business (and political) qualities." Speaks volumes when talking about the (im)possible next president of the US that considerations about his political qualities are just a second thought.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. Scepticalscribe, Oct 13, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, well, yes.

Vladimir Zhirinovsky. Um, yes. A gentleman who doth protest his masculinity a little much, to my mind.

Er, you do know just what (demographic and electorate) the LDPR actually represents, don't you?

Um, @IronWaffle, I actually know a bit about Russia, and - at this stage - I also have to say that there is hardly a source in the entire US that I would regard as - remotely - credible (or - for that matter - even slightly objective) on that subject.

Now, to the LDPR: In a word, they are fascists, - although the formal title of the party is a splendid piece of misdirection and misrepresentation - (they do call themselves the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, and at least two of those words are stretching the true meaning of those terms close to breaking point) - and they have been the closest thing Russia has to genuine, honest to god, home-grown fascists for nearly two decades.

Basically, they represent the troglodyte fascist vote, the racist, venomous, anti-Semitic, ultra nationalists. Nasty - very nasty - about women, minorities, Jews, LGBT, and those people whose skin is a bit dusky.

As such, and with such a platform, frankly, it should come as little surprise that they should be enthusiastic about Mr Trump.

The party is quite well resourced - as befits one of four parties that currently hold seats in the State Duma - and represents the expression of those deeply unpleasant impulses that most societies prefer to pretend do not exist.

Do bear in mind that Vladimir Zhirinovsky does not represent Russian State positions or policy. His party is not the governing party (that is 'ER' - United Russia).

However, it is entirely possible that he has been persuaded to say these things - knowing that they will be given undue prominence - with a view to messing a bit with a few peoples' heads.

8. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Trump is the one pushing for peace with Russia in the fight against ISIS and Islamic extremism in general.

Unfortunately, all the Islamic extremists were created by the CIA and funded by Hillary's Middle Eastern donors, such as the Saudis.

9. IronWaffle, Oct 13, 2016

IronWaffle thread starter macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Thank you for providing greater context. Incredible post. I was aware of some of those broad strokes but not quite to that level.

As a layman, my actual concern about the actual "story" as it is already being reported, of course, isn't how you (who clearly have deep knowledge on the matter) or I (who don't, but fill gaps with multiple sources and a deep sense of skepticism not so unmoored that it slips into unbridled cynicism) perceive the story; rather, it's how this story may penetrate the larger public during one of the ebbs of our current obsession over sex scandal. This is the kind of story that the Trump/Pence campaign can and may use as part of their deflection. True, Pence isn't a fan of Russia but it's well-known that since Putin dangled the shiny keys of a vaguely translated "compliment" in Trump's risible face, Trump has enjoyed commenting about how great it would be if we were, um, comrades with Russia. This can feed his narrative at the basic level he employs his own rhetoric. That's where my own concern is rooted. In terms of actual policy, I suspect based on what I've read in a few places that the statement made in Russia itself has little actual weight, no matter how vile and powerful this man is within the Russian political landscape. Absolutely, I'd defer to you on that, though.

In hindsight, I wish I'd provided more context and done more due diligence in the original post. I may stick to my normal schtick.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2016 ---
    Scared? Not sure. I bet he's elated. "Only I can keep the world from World War III." Yeesh.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Awwww, does Putin have a crush on the Donald? I think he does!

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have no doubt if Hillary is president we will see more confrontation with Russia, a war probably wouldn't be out of the question.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Seriously doubt there would be any war between Russia and the U.S.

This bozo is merely catering to American fear. Who for and why is up for interpretation.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama has cultivated the worst relationship we have had with Russia since the Cold War, they respect Hillary less than Obama.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Man you should read some real news. Putin is scared to death of Hillary Clinton.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Lol right.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well he should be. After all he has all them Wikileaks emails.

;)

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I doubt that he does.

But I do think that he is giggling at the capacity for constitutional and institutional destruction and sheer witless wrecking - within the US - that the selection of Mr Trump by the GOP as a candidate for office - might give rise to.

If I were in his shoes, I'd be helpless with laughter.

Tosh. And tosh that is characteristically deficient in analysis.

Good grief. More tosh.

Do you guys ever think before you hit the keys on your sweet little Apples?

Pretty much what I would think, too.

Mr Zhirinovsky might be used to fly convenient kites that the Kremlin can easily disavow, or, he could be mirroring - by articulating the Russian equivalent of Mr Trump's electoral base - what is being said elsewhere (e.g, in the US).

However, within Russia, Mr Zhirinovsky would not be taken terribly seriously except by the Russian equivalent of the troglodyte fascist vote, those who represent the uber-nationalists.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

He's between a rock and a hard place. That's not Putin's party but Putin's willing to let that guy mess with Trump's head. Trump could briefly be elated but then must consider what might be expected of him if he became President and was expected to make good on his now "internationally recognized" ability to avoid World War III via his expertise in dealing peacefully with Russia.

Should it be okay for Russia to adopt Estonia, or should I listen to those bleating
    fools in the UN and NATO carry on about sovereignty and all that. Wait, but Estonia
    is more or less Russian anyway, right, maybe I can check with Melania. Slovenia,
    Estonia, man they all sound the same, I should really do something about that.

Yah so whew, he doesn't have to worry about that since he's not going to win the election.

But then what about Russia, still waiting for Donald to make good on keeping World War III at bay? Well maybe they'd settle for a piece of Donald's business empire. Since they've hacked the thing to a fare-thee-well, they probably know which pieces are still worth a couple rubles.

No. Trust me, Trump's scared. But... maybe he's mostly scared of Hillary. :p

19. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Who isn't?

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I was mocking the Australopithecus's homophobia.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Paul Ryan, for one.

22. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Liz, that's because he's too busy putting on his ankle warmers and doing 80s aerobics. I still can't believe he released those pictures during the last election of him exercising. Right up there with Aaron Schock's stupidity.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

In what way? When?

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Aye but have ye seen Hillary dancing? They'll make a fine pair at the budget festivals..;)

25. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Exactly. We may have war but it won't nuclear.