Putin preparing to send 150000 ground troops to Syria?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by firestarter, Nov 28, 2015.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

Putin will be able to reinstate the comma for those numbers going into the thousands.

2. Solomani, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015

Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Syria has always been a Russian client-state. This news would not even have raised any eyebrows during the Cold War**.

This is no different from the USA sending more troops/advisors to South Korean bases. No one is going to notice except for Dear Leader Porky Pig.

** and yes, IMHO the Cold War has been resurrected under Obama-vs-Putin. After the FUBAR in the Ukraine, we really are back to the Cold War. The players and sides have changed a bit, however.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I guess the word "quagmire" is not in the Kremlin's lexicon. Sending 150,000 conscripts to fight doesn't sound like a terribly good idea. They tried that in Chechnya and Afghanistan. Didn't end well.

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

ISIS or oil?

ISIS needs to be stopped but this looks like a lot more than stopping a few thousand terrorists. The only thing that surprises me is that we haven't gone in yet. Just like we have troops in Okinawa and Germany long after the conflicts, Iraq will end up as a permanent US controlled territory.

Whether from the right saying we deserve the oil (like Trump says) or that we need to keep the peace (moderates), the end result is the same.

We will have to share control of the region with Russia and common interests will keep the two superpowers from fighting over it. There's plenty of cheap oil to go around and frankly, ISIS is not a military force strong enough to defend it from Russia or the US.

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I never thought that the USA would have such a spineless pathetic person at the top.

One so pathetic, so weak, so dazed and confused that he would rather cave in to his own fears than to take a stand and stop spewing meaningless word from his jowels.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Your Pavlovian conditioning is remarkable.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Russia isn't intervening in Syria because of oil (Russia has more than enough of that of its own.) Russia is intervening in Syria because the Assad regime is the only ally the country has in the entire region. One that provides the Russian Navy with a small, but
    valuable, naval base in the Mediterranean. And because Vladimir Putin finds military interventions overseas a useful distraction to the economic hardships and political repression brought on by his policies.

Personally, I'm more concerned about what is happening in Libya. Where Syrian-linked ISIL groups have established control over the coastal city of Surt. (This is the only place with direct links to Syrian-based ISIL). Defense and intelligence analysts believe ISIL is establishing a presence in Libya as a fallback to the inevitable crushing of their enclaves in Iraq and Syria.

Mention the word "Libya" in todays US political climate and invite a torrent of scorn and divisiveness. But the reality is that Libya itself simply does not have a functioning Government; that ISIL groups are beginning to sell Libyan oil; and that it would be tragic indeed for ISIL to be destroyed in one country - only to pop up like a murderous Hydra a thousand miles to the west - and considerably closer to southern Europe.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Speaking of pathetic...

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Neither. Political and military influence, a naval base in the Mediterranean and a macho morale boost to help internally.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'll believe it when I see it from more than one source. But if true then hopefully they have a plan for getting the country stable again and avoiding starting WWIII when they start attacking the terrorists on our side.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

J
    Just because Russia has oil won't stop them from wanting more, but yes naval base a plus.

12. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

The Afghans were a bunch of primitive barbarian warriors compared to ISIS military tactics and determination. If the Afghans were capable of butchering thousands of Russian and American soldiers and eventually forcing both superpowers to finally retreat from Afghanistan….. uhhh…. so can ISIS.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

but Obama liberated Libya and let the Muslim brotherhood take over it, just like he wants to liberate Syria...........

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

ISIS can probably pull off a guerrilla war that will wear down any country that chooses to send ground forces in after them. However they will have a harder time doing it than the Afghans did because of geography. Afghanistan has lots of rugged mountains for a guerrilla army to hide in, Syria has open desert.

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yeah, and Bush did so less than a year in office to boot.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't think these matters are as simple as you want them to be. Both countries are/were governed by (effectively) dictators. We may not want to prop them up. The rebel forces in each case aren't any better. They're often worse. It's the same thing over and over again. The Gulf War was the same nonsense. Do you think Jaber Al-Ahmad really cared about his citizens?

17. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I harbor no thoughts of simplicity, when it comes to the extremely long, arduous, complex histories of the countries their politics and conflicts. But if I was to detail my thoughts, the post would be volumes long...

Suffice to say comments of modest length work best here, even if they don't always cover ones thoughts as comprehensively as longer posts would... :D

18. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

I'll give you that geography was an Afghan advantage. But ISIS has artificial "man-made" geographic defenses used in their favor:

1) they hide behind hundreds of thousands of civilian human shields, and the Western Democracies are too sissified to risk killing "innocent civilians". Only Putin is non-sissified. He will gladly risk killing hundreds of civilian lives in order to kill just a couple dozen Jihadist/Islamist/Rebels.

and

2) you've heard about the miles of ISIS-built underground tunnels discovered below the (small) Kurdish town of Sinjar, right? That's just a single town that was briefly captured by ISIS. How big of an underground network do you think they already built in their Caliphate twin capitals of Raqqa and Mosul?

Hey even the Palestinians had mastered this art of underground tunneling networks, and much of Palestine and Israel is a flat desert.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I said no such thing. This is not my post you are quoting.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wasn't trying to over-simplify the entire situation of the Middle East or the decline of the Ottoman Empire through the 19th and early 20th centuries. Whenever something hits the media radar here, politicians want to attack something. It never seems to result in a provable net benefit to the local population of that region. None of the politicians in Washington really know what to do with it. Every time something threatens US interests, they just pick a new interim ally without sufficient regard for the the local civilian population.

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Well said indeed! :D

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

Putin is decisive with action, whereas Obama is all hot air on vacuous principal.

Like, "golly gee. Because we're here, several countries having a global warming meeting, it's a solid rebuke to ISIS."

Like ISIS could give a flying fig.