Putin pulls out of Syria

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Mar 15, 2016.

1. vrDrew, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

In something of a surprise, Vladimir Putin announced the withdrawal of most Soviet Russian military forces from Syria.

I'm curious about why Putin decided now was the time to brings his airplanes back home. The "dialog with the US" arguments strikes me as a little bit thin - the US and Russia were leading the talks on Syria for months before Putin's planes started dropping bombs.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

that sucks, now the war monger in chief is going to step up his attacks.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

4. chown33 macrumors 604

I think it's a subtle message to Mr. Trump.

I have no idea what the message is, it just sounded so chess-not-checkers and politically intriguiing, so why not?

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    ...that he's willing to play a political game of coitus Interruptus?

6. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Maybe Putin has a death wish. He's spending gobs of money Russia doesn't have on foreign adventures, meanwhile the economy is in a shambles thanks to low oil prices. He'd better have some substantial gains to show for Syria, otherwise the guys that run Russia's kleptocracy won't put up with Putin much longer.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

He probably like to get those Ukraine-related sanctions lifted. So far we say not gonna happen just because he quit supporting Assad in Syrian strikes. But time will tell. What else would Kerry be going over there (to Moscow) to hash out face to face.

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Prick that he may well be Putin just wiped the floor with the west.Bases secure S-400 on site Turkey bolloxed (I can still see the fingers hovering over buttons just hoping a Turkish jet flies into Syrian territory),it's a gigantic ****up but this is a positive step Assad has clearly understood that Russia will dump him if he continues his vile killing of his own people and this gives some hope on negotiations to end the war.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Once again, Putin showed his mastery of The Great Game of international chess. He did in a few weeks what Obama couldn't do in over a year. Now, the ball is back in Obama's court, and the poor schlemiel doesn't know what to do with it.

10. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

West saw an opportunity to weaken Russia but ends up with blood on its hands and egg on its face.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Weaken Russia? Seriously?

12. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

thewitt,

Give me a map of your influence. If I see a chance to pick away, I'll give it a go. Of course, it may backfire.

Cheers,
    OW

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

There's some question as to how much of a withdrawal it really is, since he's also said bombing will continue;
    source; al-jazeera

source; al-jazeera

It may be that Putin doesn't think Assad, Iran, and Hezbollah are sufficiently in line with his views on the way forward and this partial withdrawal is a way to apply some pressure.......sort of a warning that they could lose the benefit of Russian involvement

14. thewap, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016

thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Putin master strategic commander in chief, puts Obama and his administration to shame, then has them scratching their heads.. Obama and Kerry are really useless.

IMO, Putin calls the US threats bluff against Russia. Putin then in total surprise sweeps over Syria and takes out ISIS in force showing the US how to do it.

Then Putin pulls out - which will create a vaccuum again.

Putin's imminent invitation to the USA - walk the talk - Join Russia in joint strike against ISIS when they fill the vacuum thinking Russia has gone.

Isis destroyed - thank you Putin

Obama emergency meeting: But we lied about ISIS to our citizens being the enemy while we actually wanted to overthrow the legitimate govt of Assad.. what to do??

15. juanm, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

The Russian intervention has pushed Daesh and the other rebels' lines very far from the aerial bases, and as a result, ground troops that protected the bases are not necessary anymore. A good chunk of the RuAF is still in Syria, and they can send more if needed in a matter of hours.

16. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Putin didn't target ISIS. Russian forces avoided nearly all ISIS-held areas. Instead, they carpet bombed cities where anti-Assad citizens lived.

In exchange, Putin gained a warm water naval base and an airfield from Assad.

ISIS was almost untouched by Putin's forces.

Assad carried out over 50 mass murders on his own people, conducted a mass slaughter of the country's medical workers, and dropped barrel bomb chemical weapons on civilian population centres. He orchestrated mass kidnappings and tortures. This is the man that you seem to admire. A war criminal. Assad also trained Al Qaeda fighters who fought against American soldiers in Iraq. You're siding with a man who funded and trained terrorists who fought with American soldiers.

Of note, the only American political group that supports Assad are the KKK.

17. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I like Putin. Always have.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2016 ---
    No one thinks Assad is a good guy, far from it, but to think the alternative would be worse. Every time in recent history that we have unseated a head of state (Saddam, Mubarak, Gaddafi) the alternative has been worse. Personally, I'm tired of America setting the Middle East ablaze.

18. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I agree that the US shouldn't have become involved.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

today's activity shows the reality of the ongoing situation;

reported from the current peace talks in Geneva (link)

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

25 sorties per day is well down from what had been done. And the Russian effort has certainly ripped into the ISIS billfold, via the bombing/strafing of the oil trucks going to Erdogan.

Watching the machinations in all this has led me to believe that Putin is playing chess; Obama and Kerry are struggling with the rudiments of tic-tac-toe.

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if those previous bombing raids had actually been directed more against ISIS as opposed to targeting the groups that were making gains in the part of Syria where Russia's bases are located, then they might have indeed had some impact on ISS' billfold.......but to a great extent Russia simply announced that they were attacking ISIS no matter who they were actually bombing.

Putin's protected Russian bases, but hasn't done all that much about ISIS.

22. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I don't understand why some of these posts claim Putin is some kind of strategic genius. He isn't. It is a lot easier to carpet bomb than to select precise targets.

23. stroked Suspended

stroked

They are referring to world politics.

24. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Who cares how competent a leader is when they ooze manliness!
    [​IMG]

25. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Macky-Mac, look at a map of Syria. The oil trucks were fairly near the Turkish border, well away from the Russian bases. Hitting ISIS in the billfold made a big difference, along with the hits on headquarters buildings and major field pieces. The Russian hits enabled the successes of the Syrian army and Hezbollah.

Kipling called international chess "The Great Game". Putin and Xi are masters at it and have made Obama/Clinton/Kerry look foolish.