Putin says the US was behind the Georgian conflict

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JG271, Aug 28, 2008.

1. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Putin says the US was behind the Georgian conflict

That is quite a substantial claim to make.

What do you think?

2. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Cue up the RNC Smear Machine:

"Clearly, this shows that the Russians want Obama to be president. Can we afford to elect a person who is supported by someone chose to invade a sovereign democratic nation?"

Personally, I think this is just Putin trying to stir up the pot, but I wouldn't put it past certain people in the administration to pull something like this either.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think we're talking about Russia. Don't forget that the whole "In Soviet Russia..." gag started with the way Russian politicians actually act. The difference between Russian posturing and American posturing is that in American posturing, we don't believe the crap we shovel, but we expect everyone else to believe it. In Russian posturing, they neither believe their own claims nor really expect anyone else to believe them. They don't even really rely on anyone believing their claims for their method of posturing to work. That's just how things are done.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If anybody thinks that that US didn't give the green light to Georgia ... well .. they would be pretty naive. :rolleyes:

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Cue up the DNC Smear Machine:

"This is all Bush's fault. If he hadn't invaded Iraq, the Russians wouldn't have invaded Georgia. And McCain is just Bush's 3rd term.":p

I agree, that this is Putin just stirring the pot, and making a power play.

6. JG271 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JG271

Indeed, it would seem to me that he thinks the US actually created the conflict, although his statements are intentionally vague.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wonder if Pooty-poot is just peeved about the rather derogatory nickname given to him by Bush...

At least he escaped the 'Turdblossom' moniker...

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Isn't he talking about McCain's campaign advisor who was also a paid PR man for Georgia? Can't find the link at the moment.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

10. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

There are a multitude of links to be found, but I'm on this amazing smartphone without copy/paste, so I'll leave it to someone else. :p

This is what happens when our foreign policy is dictated by someone who bases his decisions on a soul-gaze instead of history, common sense, and standing by your word.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would like to see something,evidence or anything Putin has on this because to be honest I dont trust Bush/Cheney at all. We know who started this and it wasnt the russians. Plus this has played right into the GOP's hand.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The very odd thing about this is that Washington was signaling fairly clearly that it would be powerless to stop Russia if Saak'ashvili provoked them. I can only believe he thought it worth the risk in terms of forcing the Nato membership issue and diverting attention away from his very real problems in Georgia itself. Personally I think there are those in Nato who are scared ******** of the consequences of having Georgia as a member. His links with McCain the hiring of PR companies and the arms flowing from the US Israel and Turkey lead me to think the Chicago economists have hooked another idiot into their half witted plan to turn the world clock back 150 years. He reminds me of the second hand car salesman image perfected by Tricky Dicky.

P.S. What I'm saying doesn't preclude the CIA or private adventurists operating inside Georgia nor that some members of the US administration were egging Saak'ashvili on.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Looking at a map and doing some reading about the ethnic sub-groups in the area is helpful.

The west has been working at NATOizing Georgia and the Ukraine. That's a bummer for Russia; it's worse than the Cold War encirclement of the USSR. The US has been politicking in the Ukraine, and has been setting up military bases in Georgia. Granted that our main focus there has been southward, but it's still right next door to Russia.

So, you have the Ossetia conflict with Georgia, which is a can of worms in which the Russians saw an opportunity. For whatever reason, the Georgians thought they could go in without the Russians getting involved. Big mistake. Big failure in intelligence on somebody's part, for sure. How could we not know the Russians were ready and waiting? And, knowing that, why would we not advise the Georgians to keep their military back? This deal has wiped out all our efforts in Georgia.

"Leadership" all over the place is spouting a bunch of face-saving spin, but the bottom line is that Russia won and the West lost. Russia gained a bunch more control over the routes for Europe's oil/gas supplies and eliminated a possible military threat from the south. From the Russian standpoint, Putin was just doing what he's supposed to.

'Rat

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I feel like things are beginning to spiral out of control on both sides - both Russia and NATO are showing little interest in real compromise.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Why should Russia feel any need for compromise? Neither the US nor NATO can really do anything besides posture and go, "Harumph! Tut! And double-tut!"

Russia's sitting on oil, gas, gold and tons of cash--and she has short supply lines for the troops on the ground.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

True - I think we are the ones who should be less hard nosed in this case.

...but both sides really do seem to relish the thought of a new cold war.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Umm. I don't see the Russians as "relishing". I'll stay with the view that they feared encirclement, and are doing a relative minimum to stave it off. So far, they've sent a pretty good "Back off!" message.

Odds are that if we spout enough goo to make it look like we've saved face, we'll back off. Dunno. We surely can't afford to expand any military posture; we not only don't have the money, there's no support to print more for that purpose.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, well. Me too! An outbreak of complete agreement! :)

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think you're probably right, 'rat - though the rhetoric is still very throwback. I hope it's mostly just face-saving saber-rattling.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

maybe it's time for a peace summit complete with an exchange of presents? Bush could give Putin that "mission accomplished" banner, Putin could give Bush 4 slightly used Humvees, and everybody can scowl at the Georgians and tell them not to do it again

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i still think its Mikheil Saakashvili being extremely stupid, but who knows.

22. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    The ticker tape goes:

McCain spokesperson claimed that a terror attack and death of Bhutto benefited McCain and got heat for the remarks.
    Now, Putin suggests that Americans on the ground encouraged Georgia to attack and cause a foreign policy kerfuffle intended to have the ancilliary benefit to enhancing a U.S. presidential candidate's foreign policy strength. Combine that with the fact that one of McCain's campaign advisors is a paid lobbyist for Georgia... and it starts to look fairly f-ed up. I'd been hearing reports that the administration was repeatedly telling Georgia that anything like that would be a BAD IDEA and yet, even though this had been going on a WHILE (tension between Russia and Georgia), the whole thing sets off while Obama takes a vacation from the campaign trail.
    Simply amazing timing, if nothing else. But, I honestly think there's something there.

~ CB

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I dunno, Cleverboy. Seems to me all that conspiracy type stuff would require complex minds of fairly high intelligence--but coupled with a complete lack of understanding about the various players. Those just don't go together.

If Bush's people were saying no (which makes them not as dumb as folks are fond of saying) yet this cabal was saying go, somebody has more guts than I do, to go against the Big Man On Top. It won't be long before the paper and email trails are tracked, and the White House figures out just who said what to whom. Somebody's in really deep doo-doo. You don't screw up years of effort and then walk off unscathed.

24. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

The US being involved where they shouldn't be crazy crazy:rolleyes: