Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I know my sawtooth g4's mobo and power supply doesn't have the cable to send the power to the monitor, but does it still send a signal?

What i want to do, is replace my ati 8500 (with big fanless heatsink on - i need to regain that pci slot back!!) with an ati 9000 64mb, and run TWO LCD's off it.

One via DVI obviously, the other one via ADC->VGA (or dvi?) converter.

Other than meaning i wouldn't be able to apple displays, does anyone know if this works?

Thanks!

Eddie

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The 9800 does not have an ADC port, and therefore doesn't have that extra power connector. It does connect to the system power supply though, I believe that it's because the VPU itself draws more power than the AGP bus can supply.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
hi

so the 9800 is just vga and dvi? that's cool. i think it's agp 2x as well, so that's ok with my sawtooth, slot it in and go?

also, if anyone knows if i can use a ati 9000 with an adc -> dvi/vga converter to make use of that connection, that would be great!

thanks guys

edd

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
hmmm.. bit worried about the power consumption of the 9800...

i have 2 hd's, a 1.4ghz processor upgrade, a gigabit ethernet pci card, and need to have up to two audio dsp pci cards.... and then some usb stuff too! (altho these are all powered, or going into a powered hub).

not sure if it would be safe on the 237watt sawtooth psu... although only the 9800 supports tiger properly...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

AstroManLuca

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2005
Minnesota
The 9000 will work fine. The same applies to the Radeon 9600 Pro that many Quicksilver owners have started using. The ADC power connector on it doesn't line up with the Quicksilver's ADC power connector, so the ADC port can't power an Apple monitor. But it's still capable of carrying a signal since DVI and VGA don't require power like ADC does.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
brilliant!

thanks for that, i will try to get a 128mb radeon 9000 - the 9800 supports tiger etc, but i'm too scared about the power consumption, what with all three pci slots in use, 2 hd's, and a 1.4ghz processor (albeit single... plus, the 9000 is passively cooled, good for my audio work)....

if anyone is using a 9800 in a sawtooth, please let me know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.