Putting you iphone away for a week

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ikeer, May 26, 2012.

1. ikeer macrumors newbie

Just as a test. Because I think we're overly dependent on iphone and it takes up spare time which should be spend with our family or friends. It makes you kind of, forget life. Do you think you could do it? I'd just do it to prove that I'm not overly dependent on a smartphone, when I already know that I am.

I'll go throught one week without iphone

dare you put your iphone away for a week?

2. briantaylor619 macrumors member

That's a good idea. I went on a date with a girl who was on her phone alot of the time and I cut it off early. Same with my family when I get together they either watch TV or do stuff on their phones/tablets instead of talking and doing stuff together :(

Not sure that most people (especially the ones who love their phone enough to join a forum about it) could handle being without their iPhone for a week though ;)

3. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

LOL, it's true!

iPhone is addictive, just something about that UI, you want to use it, you are looking for reasons to use it.

4. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

When I have my iPhone I'll use it constantly when I'm alone and with friends. But when I don't have it handy/forget it somewhere I don't really miss it. I actually relish the break...

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I've been about a week without my iPhone. Now, I've had a Galaxy Nexus, but that's besides the point...

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

A week? An hour is hard enough unless I'm asleep! However we often spend time doing stuff together on our iPhone/iPad/iPod as a family.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

8. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I like using it alot, but I've gone completely phoneless for like 8 months at one point (used an iPod that's it) so having it or not having doesn't affect my being.

9. ali9686 macrumors member

ali9686

I am guilty of using my iPhone while in the bathroom. Catch up on world events and browse through some important medical articles. :)
    So I can't even imagine putting my iPhone down for hour.

10. mushtama, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

mushtama macrumors member

Tbh I don't use my iphone to its full potential. When I first got it I did but nowadays all I use it for is texting, calling, facebook, the odd photo, some web-browsing and receiving emails from uni... perhaps the novelty has finally worn off after 17 months of use. I reckon I can live without it for a week as long as I have a regular phone in return ;)

Edit. I don't think we've just become dependent on iphones, but addicted to technology itself - when we sit as a family we all have our phones/ laptops/ ipads out while watching a film lmao

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You thought wrong. Sorry to not take you up on your dare, I need a mobile phone. Especially starting when I cancelled my land line many years ago. What you're actually talking about is the will power to only use it when appropriate. If you want to play Angry Birds, fine. Just don't go to a movie and play Angry Birds.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There would be a few problems with my "putting my iPhone away" for a week.

First and foremost, it is my only phone. I am expected to be reachable by work, family, etc. Not all hours of the day, but if I just "disappeared" for a week, there may be consequences.

I also run five days a week and use the phone to track my runs. Certainly I could run without a phone tracker, but there is also the safety aspect of having a phone while running in moderately remote locations.

Lastly, it is my music player. This I can certainly do without, but I am not sure what I would be proving. I take public transit to and from work/school and use it to drown out the din of the crowd. If I am riding with someone I know (rare), I don't plop my headphones on. instead, I have a conversation.

IMO I think you (the OP) have good intentions, but you can achieve your goals without banishing your phone from your life (unless you are a severe addict to things like texting, facebook, etc.) If you are picking up your phone rather than interacting with family and friends, why not just make it a point to spend more time with family and friends? I see no real reason to stop using the phone for a week unless you are so massively addicted to the things I mentioned that you literally have to have all temptations removed from your presence.

13. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I have a friend that is an absolute slave to her iPhone. We have lunch together, she puts her phone on the table and is constantly texting and answering emails and calls. When in the car, the phone sits in a holder and is connected to the car so she can talk hands free. I really feel sorry for her because friends and family won't stop texting and calling as long as she keeps responding. It's like her whole family is addicted to their iPhones. She will turn it off for a few minutes, and then, fearing she is missing something important, turns it back on. This sounds just like some sort of drug addiction.
    At the end of the day, the only thing she has accomplished is the answering of hundreds of texts, calls and emails.

14. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

Done that for a month+.. If you said put away the smartphone.. then that's hard lol. I was using Samsung Galaxy S II as the iPhone replacement and then Samsung Focus S. I can definitely live without the iPhone, but not a smartphone.

15. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

This has very little to do with the iPhone and much more to do with technology (and how people use it) in general...as people using Androids and other smartphones are just as guilty using their phones in inappropriate times.

Of course, before smartphones, Facebook, and twitter feeds stealing everyone's attention, there was (and still is) texting and calls. Before that, beepers were the main annoyance when dining out...and so on and so on.

I remember, while growing up, it was nearly impossible to separate my sister from the wall phone- as she amazingly made the 5' phone cord stretch to impossible lengths throughout the house.

Technology, like everything else, can easily be abused. There's no reason to put an iPhone in a drawer for a week to prove anything, but I do wish more would show a little constraint....especially since, while technology is supposed to be bringing people together, it's actually keeping people more and more separated.

16. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Definitely could not do it. Even if I was limited to work use only, there is just too much I do with the phone to not have it for a month.

I have an old iPhone 3GS that is currently retasked as an iPod. I figure in an emergency, I can activate that one. Ha Ha.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just went on vacation to the Bahamas and since I didn't want a large data bill, I turned off data roaming and even kept it on airplane mode. Spent 2 nights on a cruise ship and 2 nights there and only used my iPhone to tell the time and as an alarm clock. I didn't find it too difficult.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

That's why you're only supposed to vacation within the US. Gawd.:rolleyes:

The Bahamas is amazing. I got married on the beach there!

I don't see the point of purposefully cutting yourself off from something useful. I can understand doing it for reasons like ucfgrad93's, but to do it for no particular reason doesn't make sense to me.

Could I go without my iPhone for a week? Yes. I did it for many weeks before I got my first one in 2008, so I think I could handle it now too.

19. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

20. jackc, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Better idea: Just don't be rude when you're talking to someone in person.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'd rather put my family away for a week.

22. 7DSniper macrumors regular

I could def put it away for a week, but that will never happen, :)

23. mrbutters macrumors regular

Maybe if you are a kid with no life or responsibilities. Grown ups like myself use our phones for work, couldn't take a week. maybe a few days vacation.

24. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

I can put my iPhone away and use a dumb phone instead. I'll just use an iPod touch along with it.