Puzder withdraws a Labor Sec. Nominee

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Feb 15, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Andrew Puzder has withdrawn his name from nomination to be US Secretary of Labor.

Puzder's problems kept piling up. Apparently, Senators were shown videotape of Puzder's wife appearing (incognito) on the Oprah Winfrey show talking about spousal abuse (she later recanted.) Breitbart and other Conservatives were angry about his employment of an undocumented worker - and failing to pay taxes.

Puzder believed that he lacked sufficient Senate votes to be confirmed. He was almost certainly correct in that assessment.

I really felt that Puzder was a slap in the face to workers in this country. Jobs at places like Hardees and Carls Jrs. are not the future for this country. They are low wage, zero-benefit, soul-destroying nightmares most sensible people do everything they can to escape.

Hopefully, Trump will nominate someone with at least a passing respect for the contributions of working people at every point of the income scale.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

From the Washington Post piece:

In the hours leading up to Puzder’s withdrawal, 12 Republican senators “at a minimum” were withholding support, according to one GOP senator, who asked for anonymity to avoid political retribution. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) had told the White House that Puzder lacked the votes needed to win confirmation, according to a senior Senate aide.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

While I agree that he was not the best choice (and not the worst), I would also like to point out that the jobs you mentioned are also very important for the future of many people that need to get back on their feet, or that need to step out from certain environments.

4. LizKat, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This is a guy who was on record saying he'd like to replace as many workers as possible by robots. To be fair he also said it was impractical to imagine his fast food restaurants being staffed only by machines, that his workers did a lot of jobs that were best done by people:

Now I have nothing against robots doing robotic work either, it might even be more fun to end up having one's diapers changed by a well programmed robot than by an unhappy and ill paid human, but this country needs a Labor Secretary that will look after human workers' interests. '

Industry is already plenty attuned to replacing workers with robots as that becomes more feasible. The Labor Secretary needs to ensure that workers who want to organize are permitted to do so, workers who are organized are not cheated out of the benefits their contracts have guaranteed, the rights of "right to work" workers are respected, all workers are safe on their job sites, i.e. OSHA and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. are not gutted, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics gets data out to the world on time. Could Andy have done all that? I don't know. He was ready to roll back regulations if he found them burdensome...

As far as fast food jobs go, I agree with your post. Right now they're important. Entry level jobs of all sorts are important. I expect a Labor Secretary to be good at helping industry and educators work better together to help make a good transition from school to workforce, no matter if from high school or college. The industry end of apprenticeship programs. The industry end of vocational training that's more than a scam popped onto TV screens at 2am with no job at end of the pricey road.

The Labor Secretary needs to be somebody whose first concern is putting a human workforce to productive, properly paid, safe work where the workers see a path to realize full potential. Meet and greet. Introduce industry to communities of people who want to work on jobs worth working on for production figures industry wants to attain. Win, win. Schools in the middle...

Somehow Puzder didn't seem like that kinda guy to me. What he was, primarily, was a big campaign donor and CEO of fast food restaurants. Some people thought he was innovative for some of the ways he advertised his burgers. I dunno. How about Trump just pick up the phone and find the guy a nice think tank slot, near a Trump golf course. Photo ops on weekends, stuff like that.

Trump campaigned on #MAGA for the little guy, the left behind, the forgotten. His Labor Secretary needs to be somebody who looks to make that promise not look so empty.

EDIT: least I could do is spell the guy's name right... :eek:

5. Zenithal Suspended

Absolute nonsense. They should pull themselves up from their bootstraps.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Amazing how none of them had any issues with Devos. Oh right money.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well a few did, enough to need Pence to make it happen. But yes that was some show and she was so unqualified, and hell-bent on privatizing public education. At least Puzder made it clear he didn't want to replace all workers with robots, even if he would have set about undoing whatever he could have managed of previous administrations' labor-related rulings.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Trump is having a bad bad week. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :D

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Every time I see the name Puzder, I read it as "Puzzler", that esteemed member of the Car Talk entourage, which reminds me of the late Tom Magliozzi, and that makes me sad. I think I'll go sit in the rocking chair on the back porch and feed the squirrels.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Puzzler is so much more genteel than I had thought of as a nickname after I kept misspelling his name as Pudzer. I'm not going to elaborate, or abbreviate, or approximate... :rolleyes:

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Seeing CNN'a video of Puzder defend his restaurants marketing while simultaneously showing the chain's commercials is enough to give me a very low opinion of the guy.

Did they really think this guy had a chance when he comes off as someone with no respect of women?

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, don't forget the guy trying to hire him, talked about grabbing P and things seemed to have worked out for him. They were just trying to replicate the "magic".

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I know, right.

Considering Trump just squeaked by with that ordeal I'm shocked they'd think they'd have a chance bringing Puzder onboard.

14. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

As long as his supporters believe that Trump and his henchmen will further their political agenda, they'll continue to bend over backwards to ignore all of his misdeeds. The man could be in the business of trafficking child sex slaves from Russia to America and they would no doubt try to justify it or pretend it wasn't true.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Are we so sure that he hasn't? It would explain a lot. :D

16. jeyf, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

jeyf macrumors 6502

Trump has only been in office a few weeks but
    something significant (and generally known in the media) happened last week and Trump's free ride seems ending. The elected politicians are distancing them selves from trump and his swamp.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This may be somewhat off topic, but regarding Dept of Labor issues, I'm not sure how this originated, but I'm against paying service employees $2 an hour because the employer wants to include their tips in their salary. Tips are voluntary and they don't come from the employer. It's just another way to pad the bottom line.

18. jeyf macrumors 6502