Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zurie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I have 3 iphones. All 3 iphones were AT&T activated 1.0.x out of the box 6 months ago when they came out.

since then I have jailbroken / 1.1.1 - 2 of the 3 iPhones.

the 3rd iPhone belongs to my computer illiterate father who has never jailbroken or hacked his phone, but has updated from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 to 1.1.2

He is most likely using the latest firmware, modem, etc...

My question is:

if i virginize his iphone, restore to 1.0.2 / 1.1.1 etc Will I be able to do this without compromising his current AT&T account? can I just - restore - after the phone has been flashed to 1.0.2 / 1.1.1 and things will be ok?

He made a backup of his phone so I wonder if the backup contains firmware 1.1.2 or do backups ONLY contain activation info, contacts, etc, etc.. If i restore using his latest current backup will that reflash the 1.1.2 etc

what would be the steps to get his activation back?

do i flash to 1.0.2 / then 1.1.1 then restore his phone? etc anyone successfully virginized / restored from 1.1.2 and also had a upgraded / activated AT&T service?

thanks !

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
What do you actually want to do to the phone? Jailbreak it?
There's only one reason for virginising, and that's to restore a previously unlocked phone to a new state.

To jailbreak a 1.1.2 phone, just follow one of the many guides - it involves downgrading to 1.1.1, jailbreaking, installing OkToPrep, upgrading to 1.1.2 then completing the jailbreak.

iTunes will restore your backup from 1.1.2 after you downgrade.

zurie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I want to jailbreak the 1.1.2 phone, but I was under the impression you can't jailbrake a 1.1.2 phone unless its been previously jailbroken from 1.1.1 via OctoPrep.

so you are saying I can take my 1.1.2 and get it to 1.1.1? without having to go all the way and virginize it? even if my phone was never unlocked and its a 1.1.2 upgraded.

I am just trying to get the 1.1.2 phone thats never been unlocked to downgrade to 1.1.1 , jailbreak it, octoprep it, 1.1.2 restore and still keep my AT&T service working without any problems.

so I don't have to virginize the phone to get the modem to goto 04.01.13_G

i think right now the modem firmware is PAST the 4.01.13_G mark since the 1.1.2 firmware update..

i was under the impression you had to virinize if you want to downgrade the modem firmware... and if you didn't you could downgrade to 1.1.1 but you were stuck with the latest modem firmware..

now... are you saying that who cares about the modem firmware and all thats important is the 1.1.1 and then being able to jailbreak it, octoprep and restore to 1.1.2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.