Q: how do you enable dynamic desktop??

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Goldfrapp, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

[​IMG]

When I go to Location Services, I can not find Dynamic Desktop option to enable.

2. bookemdano macrumors 65816

I think it's saying you have location services disabled altogether. If not, then maybe try switching it off and back on? Do you have WiFi on?

3. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Thank you. My Location Services were disabled altogether.

Now the message changed to this, I guess it's working now?

[​IMG]

4. bookemdano macrumors 65816

Keep us posted once it gets dark outside!! :D

5. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Will do

Sunset scheduled for 8:15PM East Coast Time

6. Sdtrent macrumors member

Sdtrent

hmmmm doesn't appear to be working for me. I have everything enabled but the background has stayed dark despite it being 4:30 pm :/ Is it working for anyone else? It might just a beta 1 bug.

7. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

UPDATE: it's dark where I am, and my desktop is still sunny

So yeah, most likely, a beta bug

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

That's some feature. Wow. I thought it might be something useless like changing what's on your desktop (files/folders) based on where you are.

9. FabTBC macrumors newbie

FabTBC

Same here, do you have dark mode turned on?

10. 0014 macrumors 6502a

If you have dark mode turned on then the desktop stays dark regardless.

Switch to normal mode in settings and it will work as you expect

11. FabTBC macrumors newbie

FabTBC

I think this might just be a glitch tho, with beta 1. I would love to use Dark Mode but hate how the wallpaper / desktop stays permanently dark.

12. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

I guess it only works with locations switched on? I was hoping it could work based on Time and Timezone settings.

13. 0014 macrumors 6502a

It kind of makes sense with it being a dark mode.

Having said that if you have your own wallpaper it doesn’t alter that so who knows. Maybe it will change in a future beta/update.

14. Haucke macrumors newbie

I had the same problem and checked location services and the like. I found that I had set the "Appearance" setting under Settings>General to dark mode. Apparently this over-rides the dynamic desktop. I set it back to normal and then changed the clock for AM to PM and the desktop changed as it should.

15. Azkylinegtr macrumors newbie

Why should you have to enable location services for this? Why not just do it based on the time?

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It doesn't override it per se, but Dark Mode does change how the dynamic wallpaper works. It's still dynamic, but only shows nighttime photos, so seeing the change over time is difficult. It does still change, though: compare your wallpaper over the course of the day, and the side the moon shines on changes, as do the stars.

I did report this as a bug to Apple, but they said it was expected behaviour. I'd suggest if people disagree, they send a suggestion via the bug reporter and hopefully they will change it in later builds.

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

17. bookemdano macrumors 65816

Has anyone actually been able to see a transition happen? I'm wondering how noticeable it is if you happen to be looking at the desktop when it happens.

Also, I assumed that the dynamic wallpaper changed based on real time sun position in your location (which is why it wants location services). But if it still transitions when you're in dark mode, does it just use dusk pictures all day until it's actually dark in your location and then it uses the full dark moonlit images all night until morning when it would use the dusk pics again? Lots still to discover here.

18. Teg_Shadow macrumors newbie

Teg_Shadow

--- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2018 ---
    just turn on the auto change

19. Sdtrent, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018

Sdtrent macrumors member

Sdtrent

Guys I think they did it! As of Beta 3, the Light version of dynamic desktop works in dark mode! I really hope this isn't a bug...

EDIT: Looks like I may have spoken too soon. This may in fact be a bug. I tried changing the time in settings but nothing happened with the wallpaper. Anyone else confirm this?

20. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

I hope that those of us that prefer using dark mode can see a transition in the dynamic wallpaper. I don't notice it on my end.

21. FNH15 macrumors 6502

Doesn't it use location services to determine the color of the wallpaper? That being said, the options for light and dark are grayed out...

22. Ansath macrumors newbie

Ansath

Through all the betas, the Dynamic has been controlled by if you were using light or dark mode. In both, the wallpaper does change, but with Dark mode, it's always night time, which can be seen by screenshotting at various times, where the moon and clouds would move.

I like Dark mode, but want the dynamic to have daytime when it's daytime.

The Light and Dark options state they are 'Still', so I would suspect they're just the non-dynamic versions of the image (which are currently just under 'Desktop Pictures'.

23. Sdtrent macrumors member

Sdtrent

Is dynamic desktop still working for anyone on beta 3? I've set it to both light and dark mode and the wall paper is just stuck on the default image all day for me.

24. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Same here, stuck on default light wallpaper regardless of time and light or dark mode settings.

25. RePete RePete, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

RePete RePete macrumors newbie

I found I had the same problem upon installation of Beta (18A326H) running Dark mode. I tried
    • going to the Security & Privacy control panel and unlocking
    • selecting Privacy tab
    • scrolling down to System Services at the bottom of the list and clicking Details
    • I could click the checkbox for "Time Zone and System Customisation"
    • then in Desktop control panel I had to click off Dynamic Desktop and back again, and at first I thought it was working but now that I'm watching it i'm not convinced....

Attached Files: