Q: If Office came out for iPad and you had a desktop, would you give up your laptop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRat, Feb 21, 2012.

1. TheRat macrumors member

Would you consider the iPad to be a viable laptop replacement if Office came out for it, or would you hang on to your laptop? Why?

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I gave up my personal laptop due to the iPad a year ago before Office came out for iPad.

And since I already have Pages and Numbers, I'm unlikely to get Office anyway. With the iCloud support in Mountain Lion, I'll probably just get iWorks for my iMac and use that for all my productivity stuff.

Including for work. My job is writer, and as far as I can tell, there's nothing I can't do in Pages that I ever really need to do. The only problem I have with working on the iPad is that I can't see when people send me annotated Word docs or PDFs. I personally kinda find them annoying and never digitally annotate things myself, but sometimes I need to see what other people are trying to tell me.

3. bbapps macrumors regular

Planning on doing the same, but Office is not my deciding factor. For me it depends on storage options for the iPad 3. Planning on refreshing my iMac this year and replacing my MacBook with an iPad (e.g. I think).

Let's see $700 for a 64G iPad VS $999 for a 64G MacBook Air, not taking into account any final refresh specs for either iPad or MacBook Air; might have to wait to see how things plays out.

4. Doombringer macrumors regular

I am giving up a PC laptop for an iPad 3 regardless of Office support.

But having a OSX and iOS Office that is keeping up with Office on the PC... that would be awesome. It probably won't happen, not 100%, but a guy can dream.

5. jojoba macrumors 68000

I have an MBA 13" and would hang on to that, partially because when I travel for several days I often want/need to work on a larger screen, need (or find it very convenient to have) a USB port, because I have apps on my MBA that aren't available for iPad, and because I haven't found an optimal solution yet for using remote desktop connection on my Ipad.

My iPad goes everywhere with me on a daily basis and for travels up to two nights. Anything longer than that, I take my MBA along, too.

6. pettifogger06 macrumors member

I would like to, but absolutely not. I can't do heavy research or writing very easily on my iPad, and considering that is my job, and I do it all over the place, it just isn't feasible.

I'm not trashing the iPad, I wish I could get it to work. But I do not know anyone in my field (attorney) that could reasonably give up their laptop and really accomplish any work on the go.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

In my opinion the iPad is no where near replacing a laptop yet. There are so many things I do on my laptop that I could never get done with an iPad... And i'm not even a power user.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

We are a LONG (that word cannot be emphasized enough) way away from the iPad becoming a PC replacement. The computing power is simply not there to run high powered apps.

9. falcora macrumors 6502

microsoft sux lolzz <3 APPLES!

haha just kidding, but seriously Apple's iWork for iOS handles all my office needs just fine. I wouldn't be interested in an MS Office suite for iOS.

10. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

We have an iMac at home.
    We have 2 iPhones.
    We have a cheap PC craptop
    We have an iPad.

we use the laptop only 2-5% of the time, if it is even THAT high.
    bigger things I use the iMac.
    quick things any iDevice.

Laptop is solely used for shutterfly books and stuff that uses FLASH.

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

No. If an iPad running office came in at 23" 16:9 and included a keyboard and mouse I might consider it.

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Agreed. I get the desire to want to make the iPad more a part of the daily life. But right now it just doesn't fit the bill.

Limited screen size aside, trying to type out a long document (don't even get me started on spreadsheets) on the iPad's touchscreen keyboard is just not practical. Sure you could bring along a BT keyboard, but when you start lugging around a bunch of accessories might as well just grab a MBA.

The lack of access to the file system is also going to be a stumbling block.

13. MrKennedy macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

No way! The iPad still can't replace my MBP. There are many more efficient ways of getting things done on a traditional computer that make it hard for me to only use my iPad.

14. Sith Vol macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Add a way to connect and transfer files back and forth from a flash drive or sd card and it is almost there for me. I still couldn't give up my Air, but it'd be a huge step forward.

15. Ziger Woods macrumors member

Ziger Woods

Flash!?

I think once flash is supported on the iPad, it will come close to replacing the laptop!!!

16. bbapps macrumors regular

In my case, not advocating iPad as a PC replacement. I currently have an iMac, MacBook, and work Win-laptop. For home use (e.g. iMac, MacBook)....

• Use iMac for heavy lifting; running OS X based apps, central storage, video/music server, etc.
    • Use MacBook for web, e-mail, mobile entertainment, note taking, etc.
    • Use work Win-laptop for mobile work situations.
    Think iPad could replace my MacBook.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

There's still a few things I need my laptop (an 11" MBA) for, such as running Parallels, and advanced Keynote presentations with looping video and other features not yet available in the iPad version of Keynote.

My desktop can of course do that, too, but I can't lug a desktop to give a lecture off of. Many of my lectures I give via iPad and the HDMI adapter, but some still require my laptop.

But... my laptop usage is probably only 25% of what it used to be, maybe less, since I got the iPad. I go weeks without touching the laptop these days. iPad gets used daily.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope.

19. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I would love to, but two things would stop me:

Compatibility with the school's software (some stuff just won't work!), and the ability to run my Silhouette die cutter.

20. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Plain and simple yes but pages on iPad looks pretty nice to iPad 3 might replace my 2011 MacBook pro and I have no issues with that because the Mac is actually quite heavy to lug around in college.

21. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would never give up my laptop or desktop but if MS did Word and Excel, the iPad would become WAY more useful to me.

Much depends on how complete the Word and Excel programs are. Pages and Number do not cut it.

22. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

No way, love the iPad but its for entertainment, not work.

23. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

That all depends on your work. I use mine for work; looking after Unix servers, writing documentation.... It's more than capable. Having Word/Excel available doesn't really change that, tbh.