Q: What sort of people are buying a new 3GS over the 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiltrip, Aug 12, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm curious as to what kind of people would opt to buy an 8GB iPhone 3GS instead of the 16GB iPhone 4.

First of all, it's probably safe to say that iPhone users aren't particularly people who pinch pennies, or need to do so. You know you're paying a good chunk for your phone, and you know you're getting a sizable, or relatively sizable bill each month, and you're already ok with it. So the $100 difference, I would think, would not be much of a factor for most, especially considering the upgrades you get between the 3GS and 4.

People who are getting their first iPhone ever:

It seems that if you're new to the iPhone, and you're about to get your first one, you've got to be pretty psyched to get it, and you're not going to want to skimp, and also get into a 2 yr. contract with a phone that's already 1 yr. old. By the time your contract ends, you will have already missed 2 generations of major upgrades. That's gotta hurt. It hurts enough missing one when you're under contract.

People who are already current iPhone users:
    If you already are an iPhone user, you might be one who's wary of the supposed antenna "issues". If this was a concern, I don't see why anyone wouldn't just stay with whatever phone they already had, be it 3 or 3GS. They would probably just want to hold out for the 2011 iPhone to see what comes next before they renew their contract.

And if you're not concerned about any of the issues, there''s no reason you'd renew your contract with an 8GB 3GS when you probably already have something equal or greater to it.

So, again, I'm just curious, what would be the profile of someone who would opt for the 8GB 3GS over the iPhone 4?

2. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Maybe someone who is concerned with price. The 8GB 3GS costs a fair amount less than the iPhone 4 on some networks.

For example, the upfront costs might sway a first-time iPhone customer if he/she can pick up a 3GS free on a contract instead of shelling out £200.

Just a thought.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The day I bought my iPhone 4, their was a guy in front of me buying an iPhone 3GS and he seemed pretty excited to be getting it. Everyone has different needs, maybe the iPhone 3GS was good enough for him.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I had three lines that were all upgradeable.

The first one I upgraded to an iPhone 4 as I planned.
    Second line, I upgraded to a new 8GB 3GS last month.
    Third line I upgraded to a new 32GB 3GS last month for $199 after selling my original 32GB 3GS for $300.

All three lines are upgradeable once again already for the $399/$499 price.

6. katiesham macrumors member

My mom bought the 3GS.

The upgrades on the iP4 weren't a big enough deal for her to want to pay more. Why pay for things that don't matter to you?

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

For some people the extra $100 is a big deal, it was for my brother who usually gets te free phone but this time ponied up for a 3GS. Also some people may like the plastic back over glass. There is also no worry about the antena with the 3GS. And right now there are still a ton more accessories compatible with the 3GS than the iPhone 4.

8. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

All good answers. Thanks for the input. It was a purely curious question.

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I agree 100% with you. Why spend more for something that you'll never get full use of.

10. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

+1 Same exact thing with a relative of mine. She just needed a basic phone, so an 8GB 3GS suited her perfectly.

11. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

The speed alone is worth 100 bucks. It's considerably faster than 3GS.

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The speed increase isn't that big of a difference, maybe .5 seconds faster than the 3GS. Yes, I have both. Opening the same app on each one at the same time is about the same.

13. ZGXtreme macrumors regular

ZGXtreme

I started with a 3G in 2008 and upgraded to the 4 on launch day. I am considering adding a line and opening a family plan to have a work number. Which phone will I go with? I'm leaning toward the 3GS. Will allow me to connect to work e-mail and move "work" related apps from my personal phone to the 4. Being outdoors, I will just through the 3GS in an OtterBox and have a solid work phone which operates how I am used to. I can keep the 4 for my day to day life and enjoyment stuff.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

My 3G was a turd. Was already aware of the antenna issues with the IP4 but it was time to upgrade and I felt it would've been wasted by getting a 3GS. Very happy with the IP4 (barring the reception issues) but, in all honesty, AT&T in my area wasn't that great to begin with anyways.

15. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Well I'm still using my 3Gs and I'm seriously considering just powering through to the next iPhone with it.
    In my opinion the iphone4 has been quite a catastrophe in terms of reliability. Small things like how easy it is to scratch/shatter (I've had my 3Gs naked since the day I got it and even with many, many drops it still looks perfect) to the proximity sensor having a mind of it's own and everything in between. The only thing I really want is the improved camera.

However I haven't completely ruled out the new iPhone, I do like my new gadgets.

Here's to hoping the iohone5 is a real inprovent.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Agreed. The speed difference between the 3G (also original iPhone) and the 3GS was much bigger by a large margin.

17. achtungfemme macrumors member

I currently have the original iphone, and I am having a serious personal debate about whether upgrading to the 3Gs or the 4.

I am leaning towards the 4 because it would be a signifigant upgrade and I like some of the features such as the camera flash and the better quality camera.

But I am a little weary about shelling out $299 for something that I will use on a constant basis (i.e worried about breaking it and what not) But I played with my friend's last night and DANG that screen is so purty.

Ughhhh! I feel guilty for splurging but I think it may be the right way to go. Do you think a feller like me would be happy with the 3Gs upgrade or should I just go full force?

Ughh...

18. xplor macrumors regular

xplor

i just bought an iPhone 3GS, 4 days ago for 450€.

Also companies might favor the 8gb 3gs over the ip4, when they give them to employees.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Go for the 4. You'd be disappointed with the 3GS's poor build quality compared to the original.

20. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I totally agree. I went from an original iPhone, to a 3G, and now the 4. The build quality of the original compared to the 3G was amazing. The 3G felt flimsy and had spaces between the glass and the bezel. The original was perfect. The iPhone 4 has the same great build quality as the original. To the OP... go with the iPhone 4, you'll be happy you did.

21. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

This for my mom, too. I basically made her get an iPhone with me but she doesn't care much for anything except calling and now texting. She didn't need to pay for an iPhone 4; the new 8 GB 3GS is perfect for her.

22. Beardy man macrumors regular

Currently have a 3G but might upgrade to 3GS

If iOS 4.1 doesn't address the prox sensor issue, I'll either leave it until iP5 or go for a 3GS.

My current 3G is great as a phone and the apps are good. I fancy iOS 4 but not on a 3G.

Problem is, I firstly need a phone. From what I've seen, friends and on-line threads, the iP4 in it's current state is too much of a gamble. Good apps, looks good. As a phone? meh.

23. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Honestly, you'd have to be stupid to buy a new 8GB 3G S. It'd be much smarter to use that initial subsidization and get a 16GB iPhone 4, sell it as new on eBay, CL, etc for ~$550, and buy a used 16GB 3G S for ~$300 or less. Then you've got $250 extra which can effectively pay for your iPhone bill for 2-4 months depending on your plan and you've got an iPhone with double the capacity of the $99 3G S.

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

What type of people are getting the 3GS over the 4?

People who shouldn't be getting an iPhone at all.

25. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I bought one for my wife. It was her first iPhone and it cost me £59 on a contract. It's a bit more robust for a serial phone dropper. And she's delighted - so much so that I've got permission to get a second generation iPad whenever that is - as long as she gets the one I'm typing on just now!