QANTAS airline defends policy of moving any men sitting next to unaccompanied minors

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AdrianK, Aug 13, 2012.

1. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Source

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I don't disagree with the policy, seems a little extreme to me but I guess it's up to the airline. But not thanking him, when they do thank the woman? That's just plain rude. Also how could they plan to not tell him why he had been moved?

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Anyone who sees a person who happens to be male sitting around, minding his own business, and automatically imagines him molesting children is a disgusting pervert and should not be permitted around children.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is just weird. What the hell is going to happen on a flight?

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Yeah that's what I thought, but if it keeps parents minds at rest then why not. I just think it's bad that it wasn't explained to him, and he wasn't thanked afterwards.

6. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't it be better that they move the minor to another place?

I agree with this guy, it would completely suck that they make this to you during a flight. If anything they should be more alert and inform you prior to boarding the flight.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Although I don't agree with the premise of the rule I'd enthusiastically welcome being moved as far away from children as possible when flying.

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

So there are no female molesters? Or if a female molests the kid its okay??

I find this policy pretty stupid, maybe they should introduce a seperate kid section or have the parents fly with the kids as already pointed out by the article but overall its a pretty stupid policy... are there even any statistics of young children getting molested by people in an airline?? :confused:

9. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

That makes a huge amount more sense:)

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Cargo hold with the pets.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I could not agree more.:D
    Qantas are not the only airline that has this policy, I believe I read somewhere that 90% of airlines follow this rule?

12. Andeavor macrumors 6502

This.

I've never heard of this policy and I've never been sat next to a minor during a flight (thank God), but if they insist on this rule they should be a little more courteous and offer a free drink as compensation - the adult, not the minor. Even as a non-drinker, I'd need a good drink to stomach this nonsense.

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Airline child abuse cases

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500202_162-3366947.html
    http://digitaljournal.com/article/239593
    http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/01/ap_molest_080124/

Google for more..

Disagree. There's too many child abuse cases in the social consciousness for any grown adult to not be on guard these days. It only takes a single moment for child abuse to happen and it's often innocuous looking men that do it. (Also people aren't imagining an act being played out in their head, just an awareness of the potential of abuse).

Clearly this policy is overzealous, but every parent should appreciate it, (to make it less personal the steward should inform that it is the request of the child's parent).

Ultimately it's up to each of as individuals to either be understanding or get all righteous about it. I'll sit this one out (away from a kid) and find another issue to grind my axe over.

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

This is offensive sexist paranoia.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

OK 90% was a bit much, but Qantas is by no means alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_sex_discrimination_policy

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

All things preventative can be considered paranoia. All things we disagree with can be considered offensive.

You certainly don't speak for all men. As for the sexism, I think I'll survive just fine not sitting with someone else's child I don't know in a cabin every now and then.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, he speaks for me. This is silliness.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I believe this is a discriminatory policy and perpetuates the belief that all adult men travelling alone are child molesters. I don't know about the laws in Australia, but if such a policy were challenged in the U.S. it would be interesting to see how the airline would defend it.

This guy was guilty of no crime, but was singled out and treated like a creep by the airline employees and it would seem the other passengers assumed he did something wrong. All because he had the misfortune of being seated next to a child.

Unless seating assignments can be changed discreetly prior to boarding, then they should not be changed afterwards for this reason.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

You think parents don't have a right to suggest a lone child sit beside a woman on a flight where possible?

20. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

If the parents are that worried they shouldn't be sending their children unaccompanied on a flight :rolleyes:

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If parents are that worried, they should travel with their kids.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

One could find as many, if not more, accounts of children dying in airplane crashes. Should children be banned from airplanes? Where possible I think precautions are fine, but not at the expense of making an innocent man or woman feel like they have been accused of something. I am very protective of children (especially online), but no policy should be based on assuming everybody is evil as a matter of course.

Mind you, given that all of the stories you cited, perhaps it's just too risky for any adult being seated next to an unaccompanied child - the adult might be convicted in the press without trial.

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

:rolleyes:

----------

And it doesn't have to go as far as the press. You can feel persecuted by a few dirty looks from other passengers for just being friendly to an unknown unattended child.

As for the airline, I think they're just trying to protect themselves from a civil suit, frivolous or otherwise. I don't think they really believe men are running around molesting kids at a worrying rate.

24. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The sad fact is that female molesters are underreported. Too many people have this ridiculous notion that a women is incapable of such abuse.

25. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Pretty sure all abuse is underreported from both sexes. Both men clearly disproportionately represented in sexual abuse, well in the UK anyway.. assuming the US follows a similar pattern.