Qatar isolation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jun 6, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, once again, Donald Trump is showing that he can be baited into doing whatever you want him to do:

Screenshot from 2017-06-06 10-05-48.png Screenshot from 2017-06-06 10-06-02.png Screenshot from 2017-06-06 10-06-16.png

Yes, that's right! Trump has discovered that Qatar is funding terrorists! And he learned this secret from, wait for it -- Saudi Arabia!

If the country that raised, sheltered, fed, and otherwise supported the 9/11 hijackers can make Trump believe that their political rivals in the region are the real source of terrorist funding, and not themselves, then anybody can use Trump!

Of course the fact that Qatar is actually a fairly strong ally of the United States, and that there is a significant US military base housed there, means nothing to the man in the White House. The whole Mideast can go up in flames for all he cares.

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Qatar does provide funding for the Muslim Brotherhood.

Which is problematic. But the Muslim Brotherhood is not, by any reasonable definition of the word, a terrorist organization, nor does it provide support for terrorism itself. But it does advocate a version of "political Islam." Much the way, I guess, that the Republican Party advocates a version of "political Christianity."

The conflict between Qatar and Saudi Arabia goes back decades. There is a poorly drawn border between the two countries, and Saudi Arabia regularly supports coup attempts in Qatar. The present Emir of Qatar got his position by kicking out his father in a bloodless coup a few years back.

Qatar also has established links with Iran. Which annoys both Saudi Arabia and the US. And Qatar also is the home of al-Jazeera satellite network. Which was something of a supporter of the Arab Spring; which scares the crap out of the Saudis and the other Gulf Emirates.

The Obama people were careful to keep lines of communication between Qatar and the other Gulf States open in a relatively balanced manner. As well as opening the door to diplomatic discussions with Iran. Partly out of common sense and practicality. And partly to prevent the Saudis from getting too overconfident in their position.

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

the last idiot armed rebels making easier for the M-E to go up in flames :rolleyes:

4. samcraig macrumors P6

So is your suggestion to just let it burn?

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

works for me as long as we are NOT involved, no funding for terrorist/rebels and no supporting dictators. let the place turn into whatever it needs to turn into.

6. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

surprised no one is talking about it? the countries that are accusing Qatar of wrong doings, aren't exactly clean either, especially Saudis. anything stable left in the region?

7. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

8. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Super. Wonder what the pentagon thinks?

Our largest SE Asia base and central hub. [​IMG]

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it's an interesting development and certainly the countries breaking relations with Qatar aren't free of blame when it comes to supporting "terrorism"......but in this case it isn't so much that Qatar supports "terrorism" but rather it's because these countries blame Qatar for undermining stability in their own countries

some of you TRUMP2016!!!!! people sure are into promoting death and destruction all over the globe :p

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

yet it was obama who armed rebels & bombed countries /o declarations of war

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

your deflection from the OP's topic is noted, but expected given your obama obsession :p

you're probably wrong again (as your wife says!) since congress already authorized an extremely broad (overly so IMO) and basically limitless "war" against al-qaeda and anybody whoever associates with them in just about any way.....this was done back in the Bush era and unfortunately there wasn't any time limitation included in the authorization

12. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

buck stops at the top.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Your mean Trump? He's reported to be a top :p Trump is just operating under that same ongoing authorization. That's how come you'll see reports of US ground troops in raids in yemen, somalia, and other places you're unaware of.

Or perhaps you meant Bush since he was your top when such military action was authorized?

But let's talk about the OP's topic instead of your obama obsession.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It's too early to even opinionate on this. Way too early.

15. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

at the top, no matter your deflection, Bush/Obama/Trump, that is where the buck stops

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Qatar supports the Muslim Brotherhood. And Hamas. And al-Jazeera.

The Muslim Brotherhood isn't a terrorist organization. Although it does promote what it calls "political Islam." Hamas represents the Palestinians. And al-Jazeera was supportive of the Arab Spring. Qatar also engages with Iran, which the Saudis don't like.

Qatar's relationship with Saudia Arabia has been poor for decades. It has a badly drawn border. And Saudi Arabia has frequently supported coups against the Qatar ruler.

The Saudis would like us to believe that Qatar supports terrorism. They don't. They've tried to carve out an independent foreign policy in the Gulf region. I'm not going to pretend that Qatar is a model of Jeffersonian Democracy and human rights. But it is no rogue state either.

Like everything else in the region - it's complicated. But if I had to choose between the Governments of Saudi Arabia and Egypt (on one side) and Qatar on the other: I'd say the Qataris were ahead on points.

17. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

yeah, I am sure the well over 2.5 million who fled Libya after Obama "liberated" them and the muslim brotherhood took over did it only to expand their horizons :rolleyes:

18. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Hmmm... Perhaps a natural gas pipeline has something to do with it? Linky

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Give him a break, it's hard to try to deflect that much in order to pretend that he is against Trump while being for everything Trump does.

20. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

what is trump doing? pitting the world against the U.S. and and reasons mentioned already I completely support that, harder to wage endless war on your own.

21. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The Muslim Brotherhood is based in Egypt and I am sure the Egyptian government would consider them a terrorist organisation.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It doesn't sound good. Perhaps they can work this out. Otherwise I fear the US could get caught up in a war that (for once) it didn't start. The thing I don't understand is why the news coverage on this was silent until the proverbial excrement hit the fan. I suppose there's always Diego Garcia...

23. jerwin macrumors 65816

To be honest, I can't afford to subscribe to all the mildly interesting news sites that I would like to devour.. But when I went looking for the conventional wisdom, I discovered.... This has been boiling for some time.

Screen Shot 15.png

24. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This has been brewing for a while and this is also not the first time. Previously it was resolved within a few months. Rumour is that Kuwait is playing mediator. I would not be surprised to find the hand of the US on this somewhere even if only for emboldening Saudi after the recent visit by POTUS.