QR Codes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motoleo, Feb 7, 2012.

1. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

First, What exactly are they, and why are companies using them all of a sudden?

Second, instead of downloading multiple apps for this, why doesn't Apple have a QR code reader built into the next iPhone (in the camera app maybe)?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Wiki.

As for built-in software function in the next iOS (it's a software, not a hardware issue), who knows. In the meantime, there are many apps that do a great job on all types of coding schema.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code
    Because they think we're too lazy to type in a URL.

Because they're ugly. :D

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I rather like QR codes. It's not that I'm too lazy to type a URL, it's just that it's quicker to hold up my camera to the QR code and have it take me there (although for me it's just a matter of hitting the search button on my Windows Phone rather than opening an app. But even if I had an iPhone, I could get to the app quick enough).

5. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

QR codes are taboo, i dont think they won't take off unless all phones have them built into the OS- if Apple does it, everyone will do it.. But I like QR codes, I just always have to download an app for it. I think they're more popular in Japan.

6. NorthGAIII macrumors newbie

It takes too long to read the codes i still havent had one work for me :confused:

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Every AT&T Android and WP7 phone ships with a QR reader app built in.
    Sure it's AT&T's version, but it works flawlessly.
    QR codes are used just about every where now.
    They're stuffed into print ads, printed on signs in malls, even rental car companies are starting to use them for the check in/out process.
    They've already "taken off" without any one vendor having native OS level support built-in.