Q's About Switching from Iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wagonwes, Sep 25, 2012.

1. wagonwes macrumors newbie

Hey all, first post! So I bought my first iPhone a couple years ago from an AT&T store and consequently I had no information to transfer over (besides my contacts from my old phone). I am expecting the arrival of my 5 tonight, which is a 32GB on AT&T that I pre-ordered directly from Apple's website on the 14th.

I have a few questions that I have been a little confused about and I am sure you guys will know the answer to:

1. Does it come with the SIM card already in it?
    2. I just synced all of my music, podcasts, apps, and other media last night. My contacts and calendars are backed up over iCloud. If it does have the SIM card in it, do I just turn it on and sync it? If if doesn't, do I just go down to the local AT&T store and get one?
    3. Do I need to do anything to my old phone before syncing the new one? Or will it recognize that the new one is plugged in and automatically assume all of the attributes of the old one?
    4. After getting the new one running, will my old one be able to be wiped by resetting to factory settings and removing the SIM card?

Thanks guys, I have tried searching all over to find this stuff out,

Wes Urbanik

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Yes it should come with the new SIM.

Make sure old iPhone is backed up to iCloud.

Then when you get the new iPhone you can either
    A. Set up as new
    or

B. Restore from iCloud backup!

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

1. Yes.

2. When you turn it on it will ask you if you want to restore from an iCloud backup (which it appears you have done). If you accept, it will restore your phone to how the iPhone4 looked like after the last backup. The other method is to start fresh, sign into your iCloud account to get your contacts and calendar synced up, and then sync the phone with iTunes for everything else (you'll have to reset up your home screens, however, and you'll lose a bit of app data that doesn't backup to iCloud or other services (ex: your game saves).

3. See above. iTunes won't automatically assume that you're replacing the old phone, but you can easily restore the backup of your old phone onto the new one.

4. A restore of factory settings will wipe the old phone. The old sim will have be deactivated when the new phone is activated. You should remove it before selling the phone but, unlike the old days, very little data is stored on it.

4. wagonwes thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the lightning fast reply!

So if I choose to restore, will I still be able to go into Itunes and do a reset on my old phone?

----------

Never mind the last post. Man, you guys are too quick. Thanks again for all the help!

----------

Thanks! Never mind my last post.

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Yuk yuk. Lightning. :p

6. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

You are welcome!