QT says 6 channel AAC, but AppleTV outputs in 2ch. VLC baffled.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by toypadlock, Nov 30, 2010.

1. toypadlock macrumors member

so yeah, i downloaded a 720p mp4 file that plays great on my appleTV (2010), except that surround doesn't work.

i understand that this is probably to do with its audio track being a 6ch AAC, which my awful old receiver probably can't handle (it's connected via optical).

how do i get it to output in 5.1?

(also, VLC seems to think the file is stereo, which is weird).

thanks in advance!

2. peterjcat macrumors 6502

AppleTV can't handle 6-channel AAC, so you'll only get the stereo downmix.

The only way to get multichannel out of an AppleTV is Dolby Digital (AC3).

You should be able to re-encode the audio with MKVTools.

3. williedigital macrumors 6502

Technically True

But in the old Apple TV (and the current from what I can tell), the device would convert 6-channel AAC to Dolby Pro Logic Surround. I can certainly hear it doing something "surroundy", depending on the file. I can't tell if the conversion is to "old" DPL or DPLII, but there is some understanding of the multichannelness to my ears.

4. toypadlock thread starter macrumors member

this didn't light up the surround light on the receiver, it was definitely 2ch. thanks for the help though, I foolishly assumed MKVtools would only work with .mkv files.

5. peterjcat macrumors 6502

Yeah it's maybe not the best name for the package (though much better than the old name!).

6. williedigital macrumors 6502

it wouldn't

A DPL/DPLII mode stays on regardless of what the receiver is being fed. It will even attempt to simulate surround effects on stereo audio.

Subjectively I would say that, on a scale of surround "perception" by the user where stereo is a 1 and proper 5.1 ac3 is a 10, stereo audio run through a DPL system is a 2, stereo run though a DPLII system is a 3, DPL encoded stereo run through a DPL system is a 4, and DPLII encoded stereo run through a DPLII system is just below a 7.

The only question for me is whether the apple TV decoded 5.1 aac as DPL stereo or DPLII stereo. My ears would say DPLII, but I can't say for certain.