Quad Core Mac Pro, want to Upgrade to 16GB of RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by raphael120, Jan 9, 2008.

1. raphael120 macrumors newbie

Been searching online and am not getting good results.

I am a graphic designer and have been given a tentative go -ahead to order some more RAM for my machine here (MQuad Core Mac Pro, 8GB RAM). to max it out to 16GB of RAM.

Having a hard time finding a 16GB RAM kit out there, has anyone else bought any and where is the best place to buy it from? Thanks!

2. oliverlubin macrumors regular

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ What graphic design do you do that requires 16GB ? Do you do a lot of rendering or some such ?

Photoshop only uses 3GB maximum so another 13GB seems a little excessive.

Check utilites / activity monitor and under memory and see if you have any page outs. If you don't have any.. then you don't need any extra memory because your not using all your memory you currently have..
    :)

Of course you could simply be a memory whore ;) but there's nothing wrong with that... it's your $ :)

4. raphael120 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do motion graphics so lots of after effects rendering, cinema 4d rendering.

looking at my monitor and under system memory i have under Page ins/outs it says 303656/859

So i guess it is listing some page outs..

Thank you for the advice guys!

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Data Memory Systems has always seemed to have great prices and very good customer service for many macrumors users. Thats where I buy all my memory now.
    http://www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-memory.asp

Looks like they have 8GB kits (4 cards) for ~$400 so for just under $800 you can get 16GB.

6. tvbi macrumors member

So what do you guys think about the price of 677 Mhz FI-DIMM now? is it going to go down or is it going to go up?

I'm thinking of upping my older MP to 16GB (8 GB currently). I do graphic and usually have about 10 apps open along with PS and AI, after 35 days uptime the page outs is over 5,000,000 (22,000,000 page ins) and I definitely hear the hard drive do the swapping sometimes.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The original Mac Pro has a maximum of 32GBs of RAM. Apple just never advertised that fact.

8. raphael120 thread starter macrumors newbie

As I did more research I did find that is it able to go up to 32...but alas...my boss is generous enough for 16, but not so much on the 32! Haha

9. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Does anyone think that the OWC 16GB kit (4x4) price will come down (from 1,6499.99) in the next few weeks? I ordered my 8 core with the bare minimum ram (2GB) but it won't ship until mid Feb (due to custom order with RAID and FX5600 card) so I wonder whether to wait and order the RAMs as my ship date approaches or order them now? And since I'm getting 4 sticks, I should be able to keep the 2 GB sticks that came with the system, right? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all responses.

KK

10. MBurton2003 macrumors newbie

You dont need 16GB of ram. After effects only uses 3GB of ram. I just bought a MacPro, and installed 5GB of ram.

Check out
    www.macramdirect.com

11. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

AE CS3 uses 4GB on my system running XP64 in bootcamp.

12. Jonathanoee macrumors newbie

Thats not true. If there is one program that needs A LOT of ram its After Effects. If you are going to switch on the "Multiprocessing" render in After Effects and you probably want that since you got 8 cores. Then you´ll need 3GB x 8, thats 24GB!!! After Effects uses multiple partitions of the program to use ALL cores when rendering. (A program that Cinema4D does not need so much ram to use all cores, so maybe this is bad programming by Adobe?) You can also limit After Effects to use say 1,5GB x8 =12GB so 16GB should be quite enough.

Link to the test that shows that
    http://barefeats.com/octopro4.html

More reading
    http://www.hdforindies.com/2007/05/multi-processing-benefits-of-8-core-mac.html